Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help in identifying a coin please...

I have owned this for a few years now and I have been stumped in attributing it to any country. Any experts have any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

Comments

• Options
    Bishopric of Liege. John Theodore of Bavaria(1744-1763). 1 Escalin, KM#165?.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    DCH
    So this is a coin from Bavaria? Or is it a coin at all? Where do I find it in the "Standard Catalog of World Coins" 18th century edition?

Thanks for the help!

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Depends on which edition you are using...2nd edition Liege is under Austrian Netherlands(page 102), in the 3rd edition Liege has its own listing(pg 938)
  • Options

<< <i>Depends on which edition you are using...2nd edition Liege is under Austrian Netherlands(page 102), in the 3rd edition Liege has its own listing(pg 938) >>

Every volume of every edition has a Country Index near the front. Just check your area/province/state/whatever there, and it will tell you where to look.
    Roy

• Options
    Not sure what edition I have as it doesn't list it. The copyright date is MCMLXXXIII.

I looked in the index for Leige and it directed me to Belgium pg 108. There is a pattern coin shown from 1792 that looks real similar but the legends are different and some of the devices are arranged a little differently.

Thanks for all the help, but does anyone know where I go from here?

• Options

<< <i>does anyone know where I go from here? >>

Your local public library's reference section, where you can consult a more recent Krause.
    Roy

• Options
    See if this site is of any help

Linky
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    Your local public library's reference section, where you can consult a more recent Krause.

Actually I mis-typed the date listed, it is really MCMLXXXXIII. I was hoping someone had a recent up to date copy and could easily look it up. image

Thanks for the link NBC, but there is only some familiarity on one obverse of a coin listed on that site, only part of the obverse legend.

• Options
    Well tried to help....good luck on finding the exact one..........
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Bishopric of Liege
    KM#183
    Escalin (6Sols)
    VG $15 (but this one is not that good)

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    Bishopric of Liege KM#183

Where can I find that in the book I am looking in?
    "Standard Catalog of World Coins" 18th century edition, copyright date MCMLXXXXIII.

Thanks again for the help! image

• Options
    I don't have a 1st edition, but in the 2nd it's listed under Austrian States/Austrian Netherlands/Liege. It's probably not pictured in the 1st edition as it's not pictured in the 2nd.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An EF example on CoinArchives, if you can speak French. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    That's it exactly! Thanks Sapyx!

Here is the translation of the description if anyone cares:

LIEGE, Principality, John Théodore of Bavière (1744-1763), AR escalin, 1752, Right: Crowned Ecu, on a crosier and a sword in sautoir. Back: Standing lion to the left, holding a sword and a badge liégeois crowned. Ref. : Chestret, 683; Dengis, 1172. 4,49g. Fitting tracks. Superb

Thanks again evryone for all the help!

QN