Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Superb Gem Lincoln Business Strikes, Pre-1934..

How many superb gem (red) early date wheats remain "out-there" unslabbed and raw? I often hear that there are "many" that have yet to be slabbed, but I find that hard to believe. I'm sure that there are some collections from the 1930's that may remain intact, but what are the chances these would be in superb gem condition? Probably pretty slim, eh?

Thoughts?
imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with earlier Lincolns....the issue of original color comes into play here. When the album craze of the mid 30's and later took off a lot of early coins were stripped dipped polished abraded hairlined toned untoned retoned and generally messed with. They might look good in hand, or on an ebay auction.....but serious money wont touch a lot of these, especially if they are "just too good to be true", like a bright MS 20 S.

Its probably a fair bet that quite a few of these early coins have been to a TPG over the last 20 years, and they are still "raw" today because of past BB.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

ONECENT -THERE ARE MANY ORIGINAL ROLLS OF 1909 TO 1934 P MINTS IN SUPERB GEM CONDITION.I doubt there are any rolls of original S or D mint early Lincolns.There are definitely sets that may contain a few surprises.I heard of a 1922 No D strong reverse in gem full red condition.

Stewart
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have witnessed at a number of shows, Dealers parting out a Whitman 09-58 uncirculated folders that contained Red Lincolns. People seem to bring them in on a regular basis to these shows to sell. Who knows whats still out there? There are usually other Dealers standing 3 or 4 deep waiting for their chance to pick through what's left in the Whitman. Shag
  • Options

I do not believe that there are mint marked Lincolns from the teens and twenties in superb gem that have not yet come to market.

I agree with Stewart in that there are certainly P mints available. I've been waiting several decades for fantastic raw sets of Lincolns to come to market, but haven't seen any yet. That doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means that as soon as any nice set reaches a dealer, it is likely broken up and sent to be slabbed.

But really, who knows?

Jack