Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cob Questions

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
The wife of a friend inherited 5 cobs (I am presuming they are cobs) from her father. They are not in the best shape, at least three of the five being in the same condition as they were brought up, or nearly so. Can anyone venture to say anything about them?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Your best bet would be to contact Daniel Sedwick who's considered "The Expert" on Cobs....

BTW, I'd love to own all 5 image
  • Options
    just general info...first one looks like a mexico-struck 8 reales cob (popularly known as "pieces of eight" and considered classic "pirate coins") from the 1598-1621 period, maybe into the 1621-65 period. The last four 8 reales cobs (i'm assuming they are 8 reales-- the largest cob coins) I believe are Peru-struck and would date about 1665-1730. On one, I think I see a date of 1699 and on another I think I see a date of 1701.
    I am assuming the last four are sea-salvaged by their condition, so it would be interesting to find out --if possible-- what shipwreck they came from, as that kind of provenance would enhance their resale value if you should decide to sell. General value, I'd say the last four would retail about $65-$85 (though the Krause catalogue would probably list them lower), while the first cob would retail around $85-$125. Others may weigh in with diff. values though
  • Options
    1st cob: is a 1715 fleet era from the Mexico mint. Assayer J 1705-1723

2nd cob: is 1699 Pillars ans wave type (as are all the rest). From the Potosi mint as the waves are "up" under the date. These were dated in 3 places on the coin and you can see the "16" of 1699 at the bottom of the coin.

3rd cob: 1701 Potosi

4th cob: 1701? from Lima, as the waves are "down" under the date.

5th cob: 8 reales but otherwise not identifiable.

The best one is the Mexico cob, almost certainly recovered from the 1715 fleet and probably worth about $80 or so. The rest are in very poor condition with heavy salt water erosion and probably worth $100 or so all together.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much into cobs, myself, but the first one would have been struck after 1700, since ther fleur-de-lis is present. Philip V was the first of the Bourbon Ruler in Spain and the fleur-de-lis was added to Spanish crest during his reign.

Edit: Oops, Blackborder beat me to it.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!!!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    ah..didn't realize that-- fleur de lis in shield means Phillip V era. Thats good to know