Home Sports Talk
Options

Hey Joe Stalin and Stevek...............

The American League is 6-0 already on Thursday night, the Phillies got 3 hits and the A's got 5 runs in a shutout.
The Yankees are leading the Pirates 3-1. The Blue Jays are killing that "tough" pitcher for Cincinnati 5-0 in the 4th.
SF is at Cleveland, and Texas is at Ed Wade's Astros tonight. The American League could be 10-0 when tonight is all said and done.

Sincerely,
Your league stinks

Comments

• Options
    at least our entire team bats. And our league takes a manager with some brains.

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>at least our entire team bats. And our league takes a manager with some brains. >>

Oops. My apologies to everyone else who cheers for an NL team. You may not be aware that some of our resident Phillies fans have called the AL the "junior circuit". However, if you check the interleague play standings, the proof is in the puddingimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The American League is 6-0 already on Thursday night, the Phillies got 3 hits and the A's got 5 runs in a shutout.
    The Yankees are leading the Pirates 3-1. The Blue Jays are killing that "tough" pitcher for Cincinnati 5-0 in the 4th.
    SF is at Cleveland, and Texas is at Ed Wade's Astros tonight. The American League could be 10-0 when tonight is all said and done.

Sincerely,
    Your league stinks >>

I have less respect for a league which doesn't properly play the game the way it's supposed to be played IE: the designated hitter instituted to create more offense...then why not just make steroids legal if your league wants to create more offense?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>at least our entire team bats. And our league takes a manager with some brains. >>

Oops. My apologies to everyone else who cheers for an NL team. You may not be aware that some of our resident Phillies fans have called the AL the "junior circuit". However, if you check the interleague play standings, the proof is in the puddingimage >>

You do realize that the NL is known as the senior circuit and the AL is the Junior circuit and it has to do with when they were formed, not playing ability, right?

imagey
  • Options
    The DH sucks. NL games with the strategy around leaving in the pitcher to bat or taking them out, makes for more enjoyment in watching the game and contemplating about the game in an entertainment vantage. And who wants to see "cripples" bat who can't play in the field? - that's not a baseball player.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>and Texas is at Ed Wade's Astros tonight. >>

Ed Wade deserves to be strangled.

Sincerely,
    Shawn Chacon
    closet Phillies fan

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DH sucks. NL games with the strategy around leaving in the pitcher to bat or taking them out, makes for more enjoyment in watching the game and contemplating about the game in an entertainment vantage. And who wants to see "cripples" bat who can't play in the field? - that's not a baseball player.

I actually agree with Steve here, so he must be correct...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i> The DH sucks. NL games with the strategy around leaving in the pitcher to bat or taking them out, makes for more enjoyment in watching the game and contemplating about the game in an entertainment vantage. And who wants to see "cripples" bat who can't play in the field? - that's not a baseball player.

I actually agree with Steve here, so he must be correct... >>

I'll give you that this is an extra level of strategy that the AL can't offer. But come on . . . wondering whether or not the manager is gonna yank the pitcher doesn't exactly put me on the edge of my seat when the starting pitcher has stunk all game and his team is losing by 7.

And the flip side of the coin . . . the majority of pitchers can't hit Who wants to watch more than 10% of the batters come to the plate with little hope or little intention of even taking a swing? I'd rather see an Ace vs. a bona fide slugger than an Ace vs. an .088 hitter any day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> The DH sucks. NL games with the strategy around leaving in the pitcher to bat or taking them out, makes for more enjoyment in watching the game and contemplating about the game in an entertainment vantage. And who wants to see "cripples" bat who can't play in the field? - that's not a baseball player.

I actually agree with Steve here, so he must be correct... >>

I'll give you that this is an extra level of strategy that the AL can't offer. But come on . . . wondering whether or not the manager is gonna yank the pitcher doesn't exactly put me on the edge of my seat when the starting pitcher has stunk all game and his team is losing by 7.

And the flip side of the coin . . . the majority of pitchers can't hit Who wants to watch more than 10% of the batters come to the plate with little hope or little intention of even taking a swing? I'd rather see an Ace vs. a bona fide slugger than an Ace vs. an .088 hitter any day. >>

That's a valid point and of course that's why they did it - to generate fan interest and generate revenue for the teams because professional sports is about the money to the owners. MLB owners would make all HR fences at 200 feet if they thought the fans would like that and it would make them more money...in the same manner the owners "no doubt" knew that steroids were being used by players for years before anything was done about it due to public outcry.

The DH in my opinion when it was enacted and in my opinion now, screws up the integrity of the game. And yes, rules changes are a part of sports and all sports go through various rule changes to create offense...and some quick easy examples of that are the 3 point play in the NBA enacted some years ago, and the 2 point conversion in the NFL enacted some years ago. But to me, the DH, considering the tradition of the game of baseball, should not have been done.

The questrion is does creating more offense make the game of baseball more enjoyable and more entertaining, and in my opinion the DH does not do that - I think it's cool when the pitcher who is supposed to basically make an out, surprises everyone with a homerun or key base hit - that makes for some good entertainment and conversation in my view.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You may not like the Stienbrenners or what they say but there is some truth to not wanting Ace pitchers out there exposing their arms in at bats and getting hurt on the basepaths. Wang probably wouldnt be on the DL right now. That could cripple any pitching staff. With today's money, I wouldnt want my pitchers out there either.
  • Options

<< <i>You may not like the Stienbrenners or what they say but there is some truth to not wanting Ace pitchers out there exposing their arms in at bats and getting hurt on the basepaths. Wang probably wouldnt be on the DL right now. That could cripple any pitching staff. With today's money, I wouldnt want my pitchers out there either. >>

Getting hurt on the basepaths? Oh puleease...they probably have more of a chance getting hurt taking a shower and slipping and falling there. And if they are "prone" to getting hurt on the basepaths then they should be in better shape, and better condition, and that would probably make them better pitchers, and better baseball players.

Pitchers still need to quickly run during a game, in covering first base, backing up the catcher behind homeplate, and other situations as well such a fielding a bunt away from them, and of course leg strength needed when pitching. Let them be baseball players and eliminate the DH - it'll make for a much better game overall in the AL.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    DH is here to stay...
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I personally don't care whether MLB has DHs or not. I would just like it to be consistent. It seems totally ridiculous to me that half of the teams play under one set of rules and the other half another. And it's a MAJOR difference in my opinion. I can't believe that each league can formulate their own rules. Might as well just break up MLB into two entirely different entities while you're at it. >>

I would love to see the pitchers bat in both leagues but that will never happen. So I agree with the above statement that both leagues need to be uniform.
  • Options

<< <i>The American League is 6-0 already on Thursday night, the Phillies got 3 hits and the A's got 5 runs in a shutout.

Sincerely,
    Your league stinks >>

Typical CU Sports Forum jinx...the Mets just blew out the Yankees..an event I didn't want to see happen. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the game is more enjoyable to watch when the pitcher has his turn at bat like any other fielder. Why should that position be any different? The decision to pinch hit for a pitcher if a team is behind but has a runner on base, the double switch, these are aspects of the game that make watching the game so intriguing, IMO, and the role of a manager more significant, and more relevant, too. I don't equate more offense with more entertainment (though I realize in today's video game era I may be in the minority with that view). I also don't buy the argument that requiring pitchers to hit or, gasp, actually run the bases is too much to ask. After all, these guys are professional athletes playing the game of basenall the way it was designed to be played. An aging, overweight DH who can't field is not an asset to the game, IMO. Maybe I'm a purist, after all...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An aging, overweight DH who can't field is not an asset to the game, IMO. >>

Why all the hate for Ryan Howard? image
  • Options
    man this thread is weird, the NL east united against the AL.

imagey
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Dear AL,

No MAS!

Sincerely,
    The 3-10 in interleague play Phillies.
  • Options
    I'm getting sick and tired of all the negative comments about Ryan Howard. Anyone does this again and I'm sending Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kirstie Allie to your home and you'll be forced to do all three of them at the same time.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm getting sick and tired of all the negative comments about Ryan Howard. Anyone does this again and I'm sending Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kirstie Allie to your home and you'll be forced to do all three of them at the same time. >>

With that threat, I'll say that Ryan Howard is the kindest, most gentlemanly player that has ever played the game. He is charming, handsome, and even smells good in extra innings.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm getting sick and tired of all the negative comments about Ryan Howard. Anyone does this again and I'm sending Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen DeGeneres and Kirstie Allie to your home and you'll be forced to do all three of them at the same time. >>

With that threat, I'll say that Ryan Howard is the kindest, most gentlemanly player that has ever played the game. He is charming, handsome, and even smells good in extra innings. >>

...and you're fortunate because I was considering sending Whoopi Goldberg along as well. LOL
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Phillies lost 2 of 3 after Stevek said the slump was over.

Mutts 2 games back in the loss column........

Steve
    Good for you.