Home Sports Talk
Options

44 years of soccer futility

I'm sure no one here cares, but Spain is trying to win it's first major tournament in soccer in 44 years this Sunday against Germany.
It starts around 2:45 on ABC. You could probably turn it on around 4pm to see how they're doing. You'll see the Spanish fans going
nuts if their team is winning late in the game. They are sort of the Chicago Cubs of soccer, always finding a way to lose. However,
they are undefeated in the tournament so far. They have played "perfect" soccer up till now. I will be rooting for the Germans.

Comments

• Options
    why, in soccer as in Hockey do they resort to penalty kicks to determine a game? I think thats incredibly lame. It's like if baseball decided to go to home run derby in the 9th inning if the score was tied.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>why, in soccer as in Hockey do they resort to penalty kicks to determine a game? I think thats incredibly lame. It's like if baseball decided to go to home run derby in the 9th inning if the score was tied. >>

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options

<< <i>why, in soccer as in Hockey do they resort to penalty kicks to determine a game? I think thats incredibly lame. It's like if baseball decided to go to home run derby in the 9th inning if the score was tied. >>

A good question that is still debated to this day. The general rule of thumb is that 90 minutes of soccer plus 30 minutes of
    extra time is way too demanding on the human body. Unlike baseball, soccer is a very demanding sport. They track ice time
    for the best players in hockey, and they only skate for 30 minutes at the most during the game, with two intermissions.
    Basketball players get 30-35 minutes of actual playing time a game, with 3 rest periods during quarters, and plenty of TV time outs.
    Soccer is continuous for 45 minutes, no stoppages, and then only 1 fifteen minute break, and then another 45 minutes with no stoppages.
    It is easily the most physically demanding sport out there among the major sports.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope Spain wins. Hate seeing Villa out of the final, but I sure hope Cesc finally gets to start. He's certainly earned it.

Agreed that penalties are a poor way to settle matches. I enjoy the drama, but they're just not a good indication of which team is superior. I'd much rather see a golden goal decide matches, at least in the finals and semis of major tournaments. Even a replay, like in the early rounds of the FA Cup, might be better.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    after my italians loss i was hoping for turkey vs spain final. and even though russia looked to go all the way history tells us to expect an upset. 2-0 spain wins over germans.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I've been glued to this tournament. I was rooting for the Dutch (bunch of Dutch friends) but 2 things.

1 - Men's Tennis is the most demanding sport for elite athletes. What other game can last for over 4 and a half hours of all reaction and running? At Wimbledon, there used to be no tiebreakers and they had 6 hour matches.

2 - I completely agree on the Golden Goal vs. Penalty kicks argument as noted below. While it IS exciting, it's no way for a real championship to be decided. I hate when Olympic Hockey uses shootouts in the medal rounds too.
  • Options
    I'm really expecting at least one Lehman howler on Sunday. He's very lucky his teammates bailed him out against Turkey because he was not at all sharp in that game.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>

A good question that is still debated to this day. The general rule of thumb is that 90 minutes of soccer plus 30 minutes of
    extra time is way too demanding on the human body. Unlike baseball, soccer is a very demanding sport. They track ice time
    for the best players in hockey, and they only skate for 30 minutes at the most during the game, with two intermissions.
    Basketball players get 30-35 minutes of actual playing time a game, with 3 rest periods during quarters, and plenty of TV time outs.
    Soccer is continuous for 45 minutes, no stoppages, and then only 1 fifteen minute break, and then another 45 minutes with no stoppages.
    It is easily the most physically demanding sport out there among the major sports. >>

IMO, if you're playing for the entire championship of Europe, it's time to suck it up and play an extra 30-45 minutes in order to determine the "true" champion. Add a 25 minute break in between overtimes. I'm sure players would rather have it come down to actual play rather than on their goalie's ability to guess correctly.
  • Options
    I'm too lazy to link it, but reading this thread made me check out the wikipedia page on penalties. I was surprised that penalty shootouts have only been in use for about 35-40 years. (Even more surprising was finding out that the drawing of lots was a previous method of settling draws.) One of the more interesting suggestions the entry mentioned was to hold the penalty shootout before the two extra-time periods. The results of the shootout would only count if the game remained tied after the 30 additional minutes. Of course the results would influence the nature of play in extra time, so it's hardly a perfect solution, but FIFA has got to come up with something better for marquee matches.

Aw fine, I won't be so lazy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shootout_(association_football)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holding the penalty locks before OT would be an excellent idea, as one of the problems with continuing to play through OT till someone scores (in addition to the huge toll it takes on the body) is that many soccer teams are content to play "not to lose" and hope the other team will make a mistake rather than trying to be aggressive and go for the gamewinning goal. A 0-0 score in soccer is far more common than any other sport, also. Deciding the penalty kicks before OT will definitely compel the loser to go for the win and in turn make the game a lot more exciting for the fans, too, IMO, as the drama will build throughout the OT, instead of both teams essentially just taking a knee to take their chances with penalty kicks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    OK, so if penalty kicks happen before the OT, what happens when the losing team ties it up in OT...then what do we do, more penalty kicks?

Why can't they just play it kind of like Stanley Cup hockey? Golden Goal...periods of 15 minutes with 5 minute breaks between periods...after every period, you can make 1 additional substitution....
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    BTW - congrats Spain...they definitely deserved it...they were the best team all tournament long.

• Options

<< <i>OK, so if penalty kicks happen before the OT, what happens when the losing team ties it up in OT...then what do we do, more penalty kicks? >>

It wouldn't matter that a team lost in the pre-OT penalties if they were the only ones to score in the extra time. They'd be the winners of the match. The penalty result would only count if the teams were still tied after the 30 minutes of extra time.

I was hoping for a little more from today's match, but am happy Spain won.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the SF Giants can related to Spain's championship drought, at least prior to Spain winning over the weekend. It has been a long, long time since the Gigantes won the world series.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Espana. Number 1 in FIFA rankings now. And the USA's ranking . . . .

SUCKS!! image