Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2 additional English medal questions please

Can I get some info on these 2 please.
Mintage and values
I think the Wellington is original mint issued and the other private mint issued?
I can post better images of them when I receive them.

Stefanie

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    The top one is BHM#2196 by J.Davis Rarity "C" Common, Looks like WM(???). Though this is the first I have come across. There are several simular style ones that are very rare. $30-50 with a guessed mintage over 7000 to be in line with the "C" $30-50

The bottom one BHM#3220 WM by Messrs Baddeley Bros. Rarity "R" RARE. I have not come across this either. Over $100 for the medal plus another $20 for the box, again a guess. Mintage estimate under 500.
    I am using prices that I have paid in the past for that rarity, I have also paid as little as $10 (smaller silver medal) for the rarity, so the market is really dependent on the collector base bidding.

Only three higher rating for rarity"RR" 50- 100 and "RRR"= 5-50 "RRRR= less than 5 and usually unique. ALL ESTIMATED BUT "RRRR". Generally speaking Mintages are not known for most medals of the Victoria era.

May I suggest that you pick up a British Historical Medals Vol 2 by L Brown if you wish to collect those type medals. It is an invaluable tool when buying to know the rarity. Spinks has a reprint that they just brought out last year. Cost about $125 I think.image