Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Finally! A complete set!

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, after four years of buying into PCGS, I have completed my "Basic" set of 1909-1958 Wheat Cents. I'm going straight out to buy a box of cigars and shake a bunch of hands. Came in at #20 in that series, and I'm just stoked to be on the main page beside some of the best sets in the world.

My "Varieties" Set is still missing only one coin... the "nigh impossible" 1917 DDO. I know right now where I can find a 65RD, but seroiusly... waaaay out of my league. Ringing in at #11 over there.

Truth be told, I was never really building a "Basic" set in the first place. How could you even build a set of wheat cents without the 22-plain or the 55DDO? But honestly, I'm just so happy to have a complete set, I don't know what to say.

The last coin I added... a 1914 P in 65RD. Thanks to Gary Reeves. To quote Travolta/Cage in Face Off, "I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave."

-Matt

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great set and achievment!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sweet n congrats...now do a giveaway for the y/n's in honor...;-)

dang that is quite a set there my friend and that only took 4 years...wow

i tend to agree too on your 33-d
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful group of Lincolns.

Congrats on a job well done. image

Mike
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulation's Matt!! Just looked at your set. Very nice. It's a great sense of accomplishment to complete one of these PCGS sets. Did you get the 41 DDO from a Shagnasty59 on Ebay? If so, dat be me. Shag
  • Great set Matt! I,especially,liked your 26S. image

RegistryNut image
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys. And yes, Shag... i bought that 41DDO from you. It's a real nice coin. saying "mostly" red would be an understatement.

And thanks, RegistryNut, the 26-s is one of my favorites. I doubt that I could ever improve on that coin, it's appearance, or it's appeal. Really got lucky with that one.

Now I'm going to try and focus on MPLs. I figure what I really want there would be some top BNs or RBs. You guys can keep the RDs. Those Green, Blue, and Turquoise coins really light my fire. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt
    put brian on your side on those mattys...he'll help in your desires on matty's with flyin colors

pop in on his website...and look at his hall of famers

bwrarecoins.com
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Thanks again. I just locked up Brian's 65RB 1916 MPL. Looks like something I'll be stoked to own.

My first MPL! Yippee!
    dang...not a bad way to start with the 16 there...congrats

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Nice set, well worth every penny image
  • dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
  • That Lincoln series is extremely competitive. Congratulations on a very difficult set. Number 20 is quite an accomplishment. (I feel fortunate to be at #50!)

Again, WTG!

Garrow
    Too good to last. The "wvspoolman" #10 debut puts me squarely at #21. I am at least "aware" of a few other sets that if listed, would cram us all a little further down.

Keeping it in perspective, it's foolish to be so vain as to imagine that anything ranking #10 or greater (ie. #11, 12...) actually means that we really have the #whatever set. There are so many big money collections out there being held by investors who couldn't care less about their position in the registry.

And what about all those guys that just buy whatever they can at or near the "top pop" just so they can stash it away. I know a guy who claims to have no less than 10 MS67 1909 VDBs. Those guys just make it difficult for the real collectors to buy stuff at "market" prices.

Whoa! Sorry... no ranting.

-Matt
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your "rant" has been listed here many times before. While it seems to be defeating to just break the top 20, only to realize, that buying two and even three MS RED Lincolns will not change your position, you must remember that no one but you really can appreciate your achivements. We can say its great you’re done, but only you really know what it took to get there.

And yes, you will feel like a yo - yo at times, as 3-4 of the top twenty sets will be headed for auction in the coming year. It’s happened every year for the last 5-6 and if none had gone to auction, you would be at # 49.

But many will stay as they too are true collectors who had tried for years to get their sets done and were fortunate enough to have the resources to build high end sets. After all, wouldn’t you?

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    I like you, WS. For some reason, your logic brings a smile to my face.

And so what? All good things must come to an end. Great sets will fall, great hoardes will be released, and there will always be true collectors waiting to pick off the plums. I just hope that I am there at the right time with a fat checkbook.

And back to the "bubble burst" argument... that doesn't matter either. Coin collecting is great. When wall street guys look at their portfolios, I'll bet they don't get all squishy inside at the prospect of selling off their holdings in company XYZ. Coin guys are different. It doesn't matter to me that values may decline. I say, bring it. When's the last time you had the opportunity to buy something for anything resembling a bargain?

-Matt