Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

question for psa/dna auto experts

When psa authenticates a autograph....do they add a emblem or something on the picture?? I can remember something on the bottom right corner from an item I saw in the past.

I am refering to an 8 x 10

I purchased a 8 x 10 and in the descrpition seller said it was psa/dna certified. My pic...8 x 10 has nothing on it and all I recieved is a photocopy of a psa certificate from a grading of a large collection of which many items were listed.

I am not questioning the auto...just whether it was actually cert by psa.

anybody know?? thanks jay
Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    It is up to the person getting the photo authenticated. PSA will either put the sticker on the photo or on the LOA. Here is one of the faq's from the PSA/DNA website.

Q: I do not want a label on my collectible item. What are my options?
    A: The application of invisible DNA laced-ink, in conjunction with our tamper-evident label and matching Certificate of Authenticity, is the PSA/DNA security matrix which will identify your collectible as certified. However, if you do not want the tamper-evident label on your item(s) you can request that the label be placed on the Letter of Authenticity (LOA). Be aware that items with fees of under $50.00 will require the label on the item unless you up-grade the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) to an LOA and check the appropriate box on the submission form.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    thank you for clearing some of my confussion up. The auto is a goose gossage...and value is far less that the $50.
    When psa certifies a whole collection....do they give each item an individual certificate? or in this case do they simple list all items on one certificate. and if they do does the submitter get multiple copies?? or just one...and thats why I got a photocopy. neither my item or the photocopy has a sticker on it. thanks jay
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thank you for clearing some of my confussion up. The auto is a goose gossage...and value is far less that the $50.
    When psa certifies a whole collection....do they give each item an individual certificate? or in this case do they simple list all items on one certificate. and if they do does the submitter get multiple copies?? or just one...and thats why I got a photocopy. neither my item or the photocopy has a sticker on it. thanks jay >>

Jay,

Personally, I hate the "photocopied" LOA from PSA/DNA where the item doesn't have a sticker. Not that you probably have much to worry about with a Goose Gossage auto'd photo (worth about $40 to $50), however (in my opinion) the PSA/DNA opinion is basically worthless because you have no idea whether the item you're buying was included in the large collection (you're basically taking the word of whomever you bought the item from). I really wish that PSA/SNA would start putting stickers on every individual item in "authenicated" collections or at least take pictures of the items. I've been burned several times where PSA/DNA will certify an entire collection and then I send in an item w/ the photocopied LOA and they reject the auto. They won't honor the prior certification because they have no idea whether the item was truly part of that collection.

It's a complete circle jerk and allows PSA to collect two separate fees to authenticate the same autograph (and render different opinions in certain cases).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Thats a brilliant business model that PSA has...they use it quite a bit to collect mulitiple fees for grading/authenticating the same item.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg,

Thats a brilliant business model that PSA has...they use it quite a bit to collect mulitiple fees for grading/authenticating the same item.

Jay >>

And rendering different opinions in some cases! There are several auto dealers who hate the "bulk" authentication service that PSA offers...

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>When psa authenticates a autograph....do they add a emblem or something on the picture?? I can remember something on the bottom right corner from an item I saw in the past.

I am refering to an 8 x 10

I purchased a 8 x 10 and in the descrpition seller said it was psa/dna certified. My pic...8 x 10 has nothing on it and all I recieved is a photocopy of a psa certificate from a grading of a large collection of which many items were listed.

I am not questioning the auto...just whether it was actually cert by psa.

anybody know?? thanks jay >>

It sounds as if you have an Auction Letter (or copy of one). Auction letters will normally mention the auction house and the lot number; also the description is from the lot.
    PSA/DNA does not do multiple items on 1 certification. We will do multiple signatures on one item.

If you have an auction letter we have looked at the piece. The auction house has chosen not to have each piece individually certified choosing to sell it as a lot.

We do offer discounts to people to have these fully certified with their own COA or LOA if the original auction letter is submitted with the item(s). We will not accept photocopies which you have. Our authenticators look at it again, for a discounted rate, to ensure that someone hasn't switched pieces.

The discount is valid for 45 days after the close of an auction.

You can read about auction letters and the fees on the PSA/DNA website in the List of Services section.

Carol
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    thank you for all the replies.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets