Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why do so many 2/3 Brunswick Talers seem to survive in great condition with color?

Why do so many 2/3 Brunswick Talers survive in high grades with particularly attractive color? I've bought several over the years, while in the same time period I've hadly found a similar quality Taler. Specifically, the 1677 Brunswick Luneberg types survive wonderfully. I bought three last month.

Here's one as an example of the quality and color.

Steve Huber

Comments

• Options
    AT?
  • Options

Maybe AT (assume this means artifically toned) but I have had similar ones 10 years ago ....the same date yet never a taler from the same period.
    Steve Huber
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Maybe the same reason I find so many coins holed from the same place and period... They are attractive and people saved them or drilled holes in them to wear as jewelry? I find many more of the smaller silver denominations than the larger holed so maybe it was the face value that dictated what one could afford to wear or display as "art"? Also I seem to recall Brunswick and Stolberg were both large producers of silver so silver coinage was probably more readily available to the general population than in others areas of Germany... I am sure someone will chime in with a different view soon and provide another idea or reason behind this soon. Either way, we, as collectors are lucky to have this field of nice coins available.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Steve:

And where are the pic's of the other two?image According to Dirk, the talers are much harder than the 2/3's, although I think that 3 of them just came together in Long Beach and the 2/3 talers are not common in gem. You're just luckyimage

Larry
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options

OK Maye not common in gem but more common than the taler. Also, perhaps the silver composition allowed them to tone much nicer than other silver coins of the same period. Here is a picture of one of the other 2/3 Talers you mention as being in Long beach last week.. Also great color and definitely not AT in my opinion.

Steve Huber
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Killer coin is an understatement. That is one nice taler.

On the earlier topic, I dont think the 2/3 is AT. On a 20 year old coin.....yes, but not on a 320 year old coin in gem.

By the way, are you trying to corner the market on 1677 talers?
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins image ...keep the pics coming image -Preussen

Edited to add - I seriously doubt they're AT.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Steve:

I'm going along with NT, but who can tellimage I know you have another one of these "Palm" 2/3rd talers from Long Beach; so where is it?

Larry
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good chance of AT even on an old coin as I have seen even ancients that have been chemically surface cleaned and then put in altered environment with color changes that don't appear "right".

Sulfides are generally more natural in shades of brown with minor exceptions, vibrant and electrical coloration is not the norm.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Larry

Here is the third one from Beverly Hill (Goldberg) not Long Beach. I doubt any of them are AT

Steve Huber
  • Options
    Steve:

Great pics and now the big question is, why is Johan facing left twice and right once? Believe it or not I have no ideaimage I would call Germany, but I figure that everyone is watching fußball to see who Germany will play in the finals.image

Larry
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK Maye not common in gem but more common than the taler. Also, perhaps the silver composition allowed them to tone much nicer than other silver coins of the same period. Here is a picture of one of the other 2/3 Talers you mention as being in Long beach last week.. Also great color and definitely not AT in my opinion.

image >>

Wowee, nice coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.