Home Sports Talk
Options

What batter has (or had) the best bat speed?

CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
For a awhile, I've always thought Bonds and Piazza had quick bats.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Bonds had amazing bat speed even before he juiced.

I'd add Gary Sheffield to this list. And perhaps Eric Davis in his prime. Dude was so skinny but he could hit the ball a long way with the speed he generated.
  • Options
    I 2nd Eric Davis.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan >>

I thought you were a Cubby from the Mickey Mouse Club fan. just kiddin Good luck to your Cubs this year, they are lookn good.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richie Allen - case closed.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    His name was Dick Allen and he played for the Sox.

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Sheffield. Case closed.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Jose Canseco had tremendous bat speed as well. LOL at the 'case closed' remarks made by people who have provided no numbers to back up their assertions.
  • Options

<< <i>Jose Canseco had tremendous bat speed as well. LOL at the 'case closed' remarks made by people who have provided no numbers to back up their assertions. >>

Guy - I actually thought about Canseco, and a few others, but Richie Allen used to swing a large bat like a toothpick - I've never seen bat speed like that before or since. How can there be numbers? I guess you're referring to timed photographic camera study of some sort? Perhaps maybe radar numbers similar to those on a thrown baseball?

"If" I was still a betting man - I'd bet on Richie Allen.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Gary Sheffield has the quickest bat speed of any player I've seen.

The one other player I've seen, who I can't believe no one's mentioned yet, is Hank Aaron. I didn't see him until his last three years, but he had amazing bat speed!

Steve
  • Options
    Ryan Howard has amazing bat speed. No one strikes out faster!
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Bo Jackson?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dick Allen may be the best bet, however, I'm not sure I would bet against Frank Howard

edited to add... not between I'm sure

Seriously... Frank Howard is one that comes to mind that may have had the best bat speed.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jose Canseco had tremendous bat speed as well. LOL at the 'case closed' remarks made by people who have provided no numbers to back up their assertions. >>

Guy - I actually thought about Canseco, and a few others, but Richie Allen used to swing a large bat like a toothpick - I've never seen bat speed like that before or since. How can there be numbers? I guess you're referring to timed photographic camera study of some sort? Perhaps maybe radar numbers similar to those on a thrown baseball?

"If" I was still a betting man - I'd bet on Richie Allen. >>

I'm not sure how bat speed is measured, but if it isn't measured then IMO it's silly to insist that one player clearly outclasses the rest of the field. We're probably talking about a 2-5 mph difference, which cannot be picked up with any accuracy by a guy watching on TV or in the stands.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not sure how bat speed is measured, but if it isn't measured then IMO it's silly to insist that one player clearly outclasses the rest of the field. We're probably talking about a 2-5 mph difference, which cannot be picked up with any accuracy by a guy watching on TV or in the stands. >>

Well that's a valid point and of course admittedly I'm biased because of Richie's tenure as a Phillie, coupled with the fact that he used a large bat, but honestly, it's the quickest bat I've ever seen and many out there who seen him play would agree with that...but admittedly there's some "smack talk" mixed in with the "case closed" comment. image

I've seen "nature shows" on TV where they can measure the speed of bird's wings like a hummingbird which I believe is one of the fastest, so I guess "bat speed" could be measured if there was interest in doing so.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    There was some study done, back in the late 80's or early 90's, using film and stop-watch techniques to rate bat speed,

I know Sheffield and Bonds Jr., were not included, cant recall about Canseco,
    anyway, Willie Mays had the quickest bat of all the players rated.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not sure how bat speed is measured, but if it isn't measured then IMO it's silly to insist that one player clearly outclasses the rest of the field. We're probably talking about a 2-5 mph difference, which cannot be picked up with any accuracy by a guy watching on TV or in the stands. >>

Well that's a valid point and of course admittedly I'm biased because of Richie's tenure as a Phillie, coupled with the fact that he used a large bat, but honestly, it's the quickest bat I've ever seen and many out there who seen him play would agree with that...but admittedly there's some "smack talk" mixed in with the "case closed" comment. image

I've seen "nature shows" on TV where they can measure the speed of bird's wings like a hummingbird which I believe is one of the fastest, so I guess "bat speed" could be measured if there was interest in doing so. >>

I 'think' I saw something a while ago (could be the same thing jaxxr saw) where some group of (probably publicly funded) researchers actually measured bat speed, and as I recall the mean bat speed in the sample size was somewhere around the same as the mean speed of a fastball thrown by a big league pitcher (it may have been a little higher, but it was somewhere in the 90's I think).

Anyway, it would be interesting to see the results. I think Sheffield gets more votes than he probably should because he does that goofy thing with the bat where he waves it around like a war club before swinging.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've seen "nature shows" on TV where they can measure the speed of bird's wings like a hummingbird which I believe is one of the fastest, so I guess "bat speed" could be measured if there was interest in doing so. >>

I 'think' I saw something a while ago (could be the same thing jaxxr saw) where some group of (probably publicly funded) researchers actually measured bat speed, and as I recall the mean bat speed in the sample size was somewhere around the same as the mean speed of a fastball thrown by a big league pitcher (it may have been a little higher, but it was somewhere in the 90's I think).

Anyway, it would be interesting to see the results. I think Sheffield gets more votes than he probably should because he does that goofy thing with the bat where he waves it around like a war club before swinging. >>

True story - a good friend of mine from college, and we're still close friends, had the quickest bat of ANYBODY I've ever seen, and I often told him with that swing he coulda been a MLB player but there was only one "small" problem - he couldn't hardly ever hit the baseball. LOL
  • Options
    me