Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Law Collection Seated Half Dime set registered

It was a 15 year effort of love to put this set together. I started it in about 1992 when I purchased three MS68 Liberty Seated half dimes at a show in Secaucus, NJ. I thought that they were absolutely beautiful. That started what I thought would be an impossible task - to put together a complete set in the finest grades available. With the help of Laurie Sperber, I began securing pieces for the set still not believing that I would complete it in the grades that I was seeking. When the unique 1870-S half dime went into the Bowers-Merena auction, I hoped that I could acquire the coin to ultimately allow the completion of the only possible totally complete set of Liberty Seated half dimes. I was fortunate to have been the successful bidder for the coin at what I believed to have been a very reasonable price. If the coin had sold for substantially more, I could not have afforded it since I had to scramble to raise the funds to purchase it. I hope that I will be able to share this set with everyone as I am presently negotiating the exhibiting of the set at the Baltimore ANA show in July. If and when I ,or my estate, let go of the set, I hope it will be sold intact to allow the set to remain together. In the meantime, I intend to attempt to upgrade it whenever feasible. I can't over emphasize how much I enjoyed putting this set together.
lawman9753

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nice set, can't wait to see pics of it or to see it at ANA if it's on display there.

Also, welcome to the boards and hopefully you'll stick around and add to the discussions!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

LAWMAN 9753

I would rather have you exhibit your mint state Barber dime collection next to mine if you have the chutzpah.Half dimes are too too small to get excited.

Stewart Blay
  • Options
    If you want to compare our Barber dime sets, why don't you list the coins that you have in your Barber dime registry sets? I did.
    lawman9753
  • Options

<< <i>Half dimes are too too small to get excited. >>

Small things can get excited too! (I've heard.)

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

LAWMAN9753

Joel,my mint state Barber dime set with varieties is on view for you and everyone else to see.I did it because of your request.If you have the chutpah to put your dime set next to mine for an exhibit, the coin collecting community can see the finest Barber dimes in existence.Anytime,Anywhere and you can call the shots.

Stewart
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Lawman, thanks for posting this set on the Registry Area.
    Your compilation of coins must be truly spectacular and I hope to be able to see the set some day.

I have enjoyed looking at your other sets as well, and even (I think) witnessing the Trime set in Milwaukee last year.

Truly a remarkable feat. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set! image

Sometimes, it helps to have a set open to the public. For instance, I just happened to know that Law had a low mint state 1873 half dime. Then when RYK posted a newp that he'd just purchased for type, and it happened to be an MS66 1873, I inquired whether he'd sell it to help out a fellow collector and make enough to buy a different type coin. He did, and the Law set received a significant upgrade. Had the entire set been secret, this situation of collector helping collector never would have occurred.
  • Options
    Stewart - If you ever get tired of your Barber dime set, I certainly would be interested in your 12 pop 1 dimes. Our combined sets would be incredible.
    lawman9753
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't under emphasize how much I enjoyed putting this set together.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lawman9753: welcome to these boards.

Your background story of how you started and continued working on your set plus your admission that you did not have unlimited funds
    makes for a more compelling read than the actual set itself!

Although I will certainly look over your set along with Stew's set.

You said you found THREE MS-68 half dimes at ONE Secaucus show back in 1992???????

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Stew:

It is Chutzpah not Chutpah. Well you did spell it right half of the time.

===============
    Lawman9753:

You meant over emphasize not under emphasize.

Now these two collectors have a lot more in common than we ever imagined! image
  • Options
    Oreville, I purchased the 1858, 1860 and the 1862 MS68 half dimes from different dealers at a show in Secaucus in or about 1992. All of the coins are still in the old PCGS green holders. Those purchases started my desire to build the finest known set of Seated Liberty half dimes. I never expected to have the opportunity to purchase the 1870S half dime. When I purchased the 3 MS68 half dimes, I was told by another dealer that no one wanted half dimes and I was crazy to spend my money on those coins.
    lawman9753
  • Options
    Maybe Stewart and I may sometimes not spell or phrase properly but I think you will agree that we sure can build great sets.
    lawman9753
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never expected to have the opportunity to purchase the 1870S half dime.

Sometimes opportunity is more important than price.

I was on that coin and surely would have purchased it myself. But when I learned of Mr Law's interest, I backed off as his set is certainly where it deserves to be! image
  • Options
    lawman: LOL. It was just a little humor.

You said:

<< <i>I was told by another dealer that no one wanted half dimes and I was crazy to spend my money on those coins. >>

Yes, I have heard that many times before. The complaint by many is that half dimes are so small. But don't feel bad. Just wait until you see my California Fractional Gold 25c pieces. You will need a telescope to see them. image

I also collect half dimes but just in a type set format!

As far as your 1870-S:

Indeed TDN said it right. Sometimes opportunity is more important than the price. I would amend that statement to "more often than not, opportunity is more important than the price."

Your pursuit of quality is a noble pursuit. Carry on!