Home Sports Talk
Options

Which pitcher has (or had) the best mechanics?

CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
Not sure about mechanix, but I used to love to watch Palmer pitch.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

Comments

• Options
    I think the pitcher that got his car back the soonest probably had the best mechanics.image
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    I think the guys who consistently threw strikes probably had the best mechanics. Guys like Maddux and Glavine who painted
    the black part of the plate.

Palmer did have a beautiful flowing motion. You don't see anymore Palmer or Marichal's anymore. You don't see any Tiant's or Holtzman's.
    Heck, you'll probably never see a Bob Moose like delivery.

Everything now is Clemens or Beckett like (except the Asian pitchers). Most kids are taught the same way to throw in the instructional leagues. Everyone is John Smoltz or Greg Maddux like in their delivery. Nothing is out of the ordinary. I can count on one hand the amount of pitchers who have a high leg kick, or twitch in their delivery. Everything is Tom Seaver like now. Straight up and down.
    I guess that's because that's the best way to pitch.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Probably the best fundamentals and use of the entire body to pitch belonged to Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan. They were from the Wes Westrum school that put a huge emphasis on using the lower body to generate power and remove stress from the shoulder and elbow. It's not surprising that the pitchers that came through that system were hard throwing pitchers that rarely had arm problems (Seaver, Ryan, Jerry Koosman, Jon Matlack and Tug McGraw).
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    As far as recent pitchers, I think the best mechanics belonged to Roger Clemens and currently, the most fluid and consistent pitcher with regard to technique is Mariano Rivera.
  • Options
    Gred maddux currently. effortless.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I saw Andy Pettitte pitch last Sunday and from my seat it looked like a lefty Tom Seaver.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    What's interesting is that a lot of people equate "best mechanics" with "least likely to break down."

In that vein, I remember how so many baseball insiders raved about the "mechanics" of Mark Prior.

Oops.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Best: Tom Seaver

Worst: Mitch Williams
    Brett
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I think the pitcher that got his car back the soonest probably had the best mechanics. >>

As a former engine builder, I have to agree with that one. image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to put Nolan Ryan up there. He was not a very big guy by today's standards, but he was able to squeeze every bit of leverage out of his windup and delivery to maximize his velocity. This is something that Jerry Remy (former Ryan teammate before being traded to the Red Sox) repeatedly points out whenever asked to comment about any of the newer power pitchers.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best I've seen are Seaver, Ryan and Maddux. Long careers, exceptional numbers and never any major injuries (well, except for Ryan finally blowing his arm out on his last pitchimage).

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Seaver and Palmer get my vote.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Tommy John of course.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Palmer, hands down.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Jim Kaat should be high on the list. Not only did he pitch 25 seasons without a major injury, but he won 16 straight Gold Gloves. "Good mechanics" also includes the follow through, which allows the pitcher to field his position well.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    many good ones already mentioned. I think mike mussina has very good mechanics.......
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanics are different with every individual. I think the guys with the most wins, strikeouts, and best era's have the best mechanics in any given year image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    That`s easy. Sandy Koufax. High leg kick, reached back and rifled the ball.
  • Options
    at one time no one was better than pedro.