Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA 8 OC vs. 7 grade?

greetings!

a quick question on 8 OC vs 7 grades. if a card qualifies as an 8 OC, isn't it also possible it could qualify as a 7 since the centering for a 7 is less critical than an 8? if this is the case, is it possible to request from psa that a 7 grade is preferred over an 8 OC? since a 7 counts as a 7 and an 8OC counts as a 6 on the set registry, i would prefer to have a 7 over an 8 OC. is this request possible from psa?

thanks, boochydog

Comments

• Options

<< <i>greetings!

a quick question on 8 OC vs 7 grades. if a card qualifies as an 8 OC, isn't it also possible it could qualify as a 7 since the centering for a 7 is less critical than an 8? if this is the case, is it possible to request from psa that a 7 grade is preferred over an 8 OC? since a 7 counts as a 7 and an 8OC counts as a 6 on the set registry, i would prefer to have a 7 over an 8 OC. is this request possible from psa?

thanks, boochydog >>

8OC=6 centering or lower. So the answer to your question is no and that's a fact. Hope this helps.
    1981-82 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1992-93 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1976 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1982 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1986 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1975 Topps Wacky Packages Series 15 PSA 9 or 10
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

PSA grading standards for an 8 : Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front.
    PSA grading standards for a 7 : Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front.

So, as long as the 8 (OC) isn't more off-centered than is allowed for a 7, it could be converted to a straight 7.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If you put no qualifiers on your submission then the card could be graded a straight 7 or 6 depending on the dreaded eye appeal. Straight maeasurments of centering are not the only criteria for the OC qualifier.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I have a dozen or so late 60 early 70's cards of HOFers that were graded 8 oc before I realized you could ask for NQ. All were borderline 1/3 - 2/3 on centering one way. Cracked them out and resent, all but 1 graded a straight 7, a 1970 Willie Mays got a six. Also had a 1971 Pete Rose that I personally pulled from a rack pack, graded a 5 with no NQ's, then a 9oc when asked for qualifer. John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    i was going to post the same thing about the OC dimensions for a 7 or an 8, so i am glad it has been clarified.

thanks for the tip on the NQ option for submittals. did not know for sure it was an option.

boochydog
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

8OC=6 centering or lower.

Not always, and that ONLY is correct for weighting in the registry.

I have seen some cards that could 8 oc that received grades of 7.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It is an option, however it has been my experience that it is up to the grader
    if he allows for it. I have gotten subs back with some cards OC'd and others net graded.

Just because one asks for no qualifiers does not mean one will get that.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I sent in for review six cards with qualifiers, asking that they be downgraded one grade with no qualifier. PSA acquiesed on two, but not the other four.