Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Draft

recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
If there is any truth to the rumor that the Bulls and Heat are talking about a trade for the Bulls 1st pick, Tyrus Thomas and Larry Hughes for Dwayne Wade please John Paxson get it done. I can't watch another season of crap!

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    source?

Nothing on espn.com
  • Options
    Yeah, that's a true rumor, and the Knicks are sending Marbury, Zack Randolph, and the #6 to Cleveland for Lebron...
  • Options
    The NBA has a draft?

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I think I saw it on Yahoo sports a day or two ago.
    I know it's wishfull thinking.
  • Options
    The Bulls should take Beasley, I'm not sure why the infatuation with Rose. Beasley will be a monster in the NBA.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just because some random columnist makes up the trade in his head doesn't mean it might happen. It's amazing how many "rumors" there are around draft time. There's no way the Heat are even considering trading Wade unless it's an offer of Herschel Walker proportions. A #1 pick in a weak draft, a disappointing #4 overall from 2 years ago and an over-the-hill ball hog is such a bad trade for a top 5 marketable player that it would make Chris Wallace look like a genius for his Pau Gasol giveaway.
  • Options
    logic and history would tell you that the bulls should take beasley.

-Big men usually are taken higher than point guards (see 05 draft, see kidd taken #2, etc)
    -Beasley had fantasy numbers in college and would have been the national player of the year had north carolina not been that good last season (and ty lawson wasnt injured for a month)
    -The Bulls already have a good backcourt in hinrich and gordon.
    -The Bulls have been desperately seeking a dominant offensive player in the front court for the last 3 to 4 seasons. Ty Thomas, Noah, Nocioni, joe smith, gooden, wallace, donyell marshall...the bulls have been searching high and low (even though they had not one but two chances to get one (gasol last mid season and garnett last off season) if paxson could let go of his man love for luol deng) for an offensive big man. Beasley fits that description to the tee.

But, the bulls will likely take rose because

-The hip trend these days in the nba is to get a point guard. Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Chris Paul...need to get a point guard if you want to compete, as the current thinking goes
    -The Bulls are wary of Beasley's attitude
    -The Bulls are wary of Beasley's lack of defense (even though it shouldnt be that much of concern given that the bulls already have several solid defensive big men (noah, gooden) to off set Beasley's defensive weaknesses).
    -The Bulls cherish Rose's leadership capabilities

I dont think there is an obvious choice between the two, but if i was running the bulls I would go with Beasley...UNLESS the bulls can 1.) trade hinrich and either get a solid scoring veteran big man (jermaine oneal, for instance) or a draft pick later in the lottery (and pick up a darrell arthur or anthony randolph, two offensive minded big men with good upside) or 2.) sign Elton Brand via free agency (somehow they will need to dump larry hughes contract). If they can do either 1 or 2, then i would pick rose.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bill Simmons. Beasley is a Derrick Coleman/Glenn Robinson type guy. Rose is a franchise point guard. You just can't pass that up.
  • Options
    I hate this draft. I would trade any lottery pick for an established youngish player if I had it.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    how many drafts have that player though?
    92. 97. 02. 03. it's not every year. and this year has 2 near can't miss guys.
    JOhn

this one has a TON of talent.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    John- I gotta disagree. Seems like half the first rounders are from Kansas, UCLA and Memphis, and everyone but Rose and Love jumped up there because of the exposure they got in the NCAA tourney. I watched the NCAA pretty closely this year and I can count on one hand the players that I thought "This kid could be good in the NBA": Love, Rose, Bayless and that's about it. I didn't get to see Beasely and OJ Mayo looked talented but lost most of the time in the team game (think Steve Francis). Kansas, UCLA and Memphis had great teams, but that almost never translates to more than one NBA star (think '90 UNLV or '96 Kentucky). Last year's draft had more 1st round talent than any draft I can remember, and this year's has the least.
  • Options
    Agreed. Durant and Oden were as "can't miss" as two top guys can be. Both Rose and Beasely have major downfalls- Rose is not ready for pro play and Beasely doesn't care that much about basketball. These are two HUGE downfalls that Durant and Oden didn't have. If both years were combined, Oden and Durant would still be an easy #1 and #2 with Rose and Beasely going anywhere from #3 to #10. Now OJ Mayo, who was a high school standout but a crappy team player who took payoffs, might take #2 instead of Beasely? Bad draft.
  • Options
    I agree with both of you on this being a fairly weak draft but I think the bottom of it will produce some solid players. I think someone will be getting a huge steal when they get Chris Douglas Roberts late in the first round. Also, Stephen Curry from Davidson was the other dominant player in the tournament. He'll have a solid NBA Career when he comes out next year. I just wish he was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heaver.
  • Options
    Vito- Curry is a perrenial NBA all star lock. He shoots lights out from anywhere out to half court, is a 95%+ free throw shooter, a solid defender, can run the point, and can take over games. They're gonna have to cover him like Kobe because he can shoot from anywhere and create his own shots.

btw- I watched him as a freshman 2 years ago playing us (Maryland) in the NCAA tourney and thinking at halftime that we were going to lose to this one 15 year old looking kid (reminiscent of us losing to Steve Nash in '96) who is unstoppable. We pulled it out but this was a kid being triple teamed in the second half and ending up with 30 pts as a freshman in the NCAA tourney! Most people think he's coming back next year for his senior year but it's actually just his junior year and he's staying because he wants to learn how to run the point. How freaking smart is he? I'm thinking a mix of Jason Kidd and Reggie Miller when he goes pro. I can't say enough about him and every team that passes him up in the draft will be very, very sorry.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I'am going to be glued to the tv set tomorrow night. Cant wait. Welcome back home Derrick Rose! I love the NBA draft. image
  • Options

<< <i>Vito- Curry is a perrenial NBA all star lock. He shoots lights out from anywhere out to half court, is a 95%+ free throw shooter, a solid defender, can run the point, and can take over games. They're gonna have to cover him like Kobe because he can shoot from anywhere and create his own shots.

btw- I watched him as a freshman 2 years ago playing us (Maryland) in the NCAA tourney and thinking at halftime that we were going to lose to this one 15 year old looking kid (reminiscent of us losing to Steve Nash in '96) who is unstoppable. We pulled it out but this was a kid being triple teamed in the second half and ending up with 30 pts as a freshman in the NCAA tourney! Most people think he's coming back next year for his senior year but it's actually just his junior year and he's staying because he wants to learn how to run the point. How freaking smart is he? I'm thinking a mix of Jason Kidd and Reggie Miller when he goes pro. I can't say enough about him and every team that passes him up in the draft will be very, very sorry. >>

Almost totally agree with you if he can learn to run the point in the combo guard way. I liken him a little bit to Brandon Roy
  • Options
    Heres hoping the Knicks don't botch tonights pick. I've seen Gordon, Westbrook, and the Italian as their 3 probable choices, and I'm not sold on any of them. I'd never draft Gordon after seeing him nearly in tears on the court vs. Illinois, Westbrook was the 2nd best player on his team, and I can count the number of successful 7 foot euros on one hand.

Why take another combo guard type when Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson are already on the team. Take Kevin Love and let him battle some of these slugs (mainly z-bo) for PT.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Heres hoping the Knicks don't botch tonights pick. I've seen Gordon, Westbrook, and the Italian as their 3 probable choices, and I'm not sold on any of them. I'd never draft Gordon after seeing him nearly in tears on the court vs. Illinois, Westbrook was the 2nd best player on his team, and I can count the number of successful 7 foot euros on one hand.

Why take another combo guard type when Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson are already on the team. Take Kevin Love and let him battle some of these slugs (mainly z-bo) for PT. >>

I think the Knicks should just trade out, a la the Nuggets. The team is a train wreck, it's not going to improve until Starbury's contract comes off the books, and there's nobody the Knicks could get at sixth that could help the team-- with the possible excepton of Kevin Love, but I don't think he's going to be there. Get rid of the pick for some kind of future lottery-protected (or not) package in 2010-2011, and prepare to go all in when Lebron becomes available.
  • Options

<< <i> think the Knicks should just trade out, a la the Nuggets. The team is a train wreck, it's not going to improve until Starbury's contract comes off the books, and there's nobody the Knicks could get at sixth that could help the team-- with the possible excepton of Kevin Love, but I don't think he's going to be there. Get rid of the pick for some kind of future lottery-protected (or not) package in 2010-2011, and prepare to go all in when Lebron becomes available. >>

Probably the right move, and one that would be great if the pick could be packaged with one of the current horrible contracts and without David Lee. It would surprise me if it happens as I'm sure the Walsh/D'antoni Aegime wants to make a statement with the pick to appease the fans and NY media, if only for a minute...
  • Options
    Like boo said, the Knicks are pretty much locked into sucking until Marbury is gone. What they really should do is just waive Me-bury the next time he opens his mouth or misses a practice, pay him his money and get the poison out of the locker room. That'll give some much needed positive chemistry for whoever they draft or trade for. Looks like they're trying to trade up to 5, probably to pick up Love. I think they'd be better off with Bayless because he's electrifying and they need a PG who is reliable (the new top asset in the NBA).

The real plan should be to trade down and get a bad contract off the books (Zach Randolph or Quentin Richardson), and pick up a lower pick and a decent young guy with a manageable contract.
  • Options
    Yi just went to the Nets for Richard Jefferson - must mean a Michael Redd move is next for MIL
  • Options
    Wow, I like that trade for both teams. Even if Yi doesn't work out, Simmons is a great role player and they get some much needed cap relief for the Lebron sweepstakes.
  • Options
    Well, the LeBron thing is obviously the impetus for moving salary but you're right. I like this deal for everyone. Yi and Bogut were not going to be a good front line. I like Yi's age on that Nets team but don't you think this means that Redd is done in Milwaukee? The interesting thing is that he and Odom both make roughly the same amount. You can bet the Lakers are calling about Redd right now. Let's pray it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    It's funny, there are trade rumors about Redd every year but the Bucks never move him. He seems like the kind of player Skiles would love so I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto him. I could see them moving Desmond Mason though since nobody really wants a $5 million backup SF. A starting five of Redd, Jefferson, Bogut, Villenueva and Mo Williams doesn't look that bad on paper, you gotta admit.
  • Options
    the knicks need a total overhaul. firing thomas was #1 on the list and he's finally gone. i dont think d'antoni was a good hire, but time will only tell...so, i wont pass judgment right now (as long as thomas is gone, that's all that matters). next should be getting rid of mebury. after that, get rid of that block of ice known as eddy curry. then move the unidimensional jamal crawford. i dont mind randolph on the team as long as curry isnt there (they are nearly the same player, except randolph is a better rebounder). nate robinson is a nice bench player and david lee is a solid front court player that doesnt get enough time or attention. i think the knicks either need to move up to get beasley, rose or mayo or trade this pick to get an established player in return. love is also a good option, especially when he's next to the no passing, front court stuffing randolph. im not sure any of those 4 will be available at #6. westbrook is nice, but not a player you build around. neither is the italian kid (although he could be, but there is too much variability in foreign players to know for sure...and i dont think the knicks are in that stage where they can take high risk foreign players [detroit was with darko because they were already good, so fans gave them some leniency for taking a bust]), bayless or any the other players available in the draft. i fully believe rebuilding a team, especially one with an owner willing to spend, a strong fan base and is in a city most players want to go to, in the NBA is relatively easy compared to the nfl, nhl or mlb. the knicks, for some astounding reason, have simply made one god awful decision after another. these are not decisions that you look at and say "yeah, i can see that trade/signing happening at the time...so, i dont fault the GM and coach THAT much." These are the type of decisions that you look at and say "what the hell was he thinking?" jamal crawford, steve francis, stephon marbury, eddy curry, keith van horn, trading lottery picks, drafting renaldo balkman in the first round, keeping thomas around for so long...these are not decisions a GM, coach and owner makes in a right frame of mind.

• Options

<< <i> It's funny, there are trade rumors about Redd every year but the Bucks never move him. He seems like the kind of player Skiles would love so I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto him. I could see them moving Desmond Mason though since nobody really wants a $5 million backup SF. A starting five of Redd, Jefferson, Bogut, Villenueva and Mo Williams doesn't look that bad on paper, you gotta admit. >>

every year for the past 3 seasons i have predicted that the bucks will crack .500 and make the playoffs...and every year, they stink.

There are essentially two problems with the bucks: they dont play D and their front court was undefined. I dont think Jefferson will help with D. He's a much better defender than yi or simmons, but not by much. i do like the trade of yi. i thought he was overhyped and simply didnt fit with this team. this will allow villanueva to start, giving them two double-double post players in the front court. Jefferson gives them some versatility at the 3. simmons was a bad signing. he simply replicated what desmond mason gives them.

now, who do the bucks pick at 8? everyone thinks it will be Alexander. I wouldnt be surprised if that is the case given jefferson's injury history...but, i think the likelihood is now smaller. They may draft a big, like kevin love, to give them more depth and strength up front.

• Options
    Danby- I don't disagree with anything you said. Every move Isiah made was wrong except drafting Lee. He just couldn't get anything right, and his cap mismanagement left the Knicks without about 3 years of dead weight. It's impossible to rebuild with me-first players salaries like Marbury and Randolph on the payroll, so they basically have to suck it up and get (and hold onto) as many young bargains as they can while they prepare for the big overhaul in 2010 or 2011. The probably should draft big, but for some reason I just can't picture a Knicks team that's led by Kevin Love and David Lee. Spike Lee might stop going to games.
  • Options
    The ESPN coverage of this draft is terrible. Stephen A. Smith's voice makes me want to pull my eardrums out with a melonballer. Stu Scott's just annoying. They're not letting Bilas give his analysis enough, and they're not "recommending" who the teams should pick, which is part of the fun of Mel Kiper. I say they go with Van Gundy, Mark Jackson and Bilas and have somebody normal do the player interviews.

As a side note, Stu Scott just asked Pat Riley "What went into youall's decision?" He's quite the wordsmith.
  • Options
    It's amazing how much the draft has changed. I'm flabbergasted that Westbrook goes before Love. If this were 1993, It would've been Love, Beasely, Rose, Brook Lopez and Mayo. Now everybody's stretching to try and get that ever-so-valuable PG so those guys are going to go like 5 spots too high.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    interesting that Bayless and Brook Lopez are falling. I'd love to see Lopez fall to Portland at 13, but I'm sure that won't happen.

• Options
    Well, it's late June which means the Clippers and Bucks are in the process of messing up another draft. I see nothing in Eric Gordon that tells me he's an NBA player.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    How happy are the Nets today? Traded Jefferson for an off the books in 2010 contract and then have Lopez fall into their laps at #10. It will be interesting to see what they pull off at #21.
  • Options
    No kidding- Lopez is pretty much guaranteed to be a solid NBA forward who can bang inside. I'll never understand why guys like this fall and projects like Danilio and Joe Alexander go so high.
  • Options

<< <i> It's amazing how much the draft has changed. I'm flabbergasted that Westbrook goes before Love. If this were 1993, It would've been Love, Beasely, Rose, Brook Lopez and Mayo. Now everybody's stretching to try and get that ever-so-valuable PG so those guys are going to go like 5 spots too high. >>

i dont think love would go above beasley given the season he had. if love is a junior or senior, than it is possible love would have gone above beasley since, in 93, seniority had more weight. but, no doubt beasley would have gone 1st pre point guard era.

but, i agree with your general point about bigs generally being picked ahead of guards.
  • Options
    This has been a very poor draft in terms of comedy value. So far the only funny things have bee Smith's awkward interview with the Italian kid and Robin Lopez with the Suns hat barely sitting on top of his afro.
  • Options
    Wow, Portland just fleeced Indiana- Jarrett Jack and Brandon Rush for Bayless and Ike Diogu. If ODen is healthy next year they're going to be pretty freaking good.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Portland just fleeced Indiana- Jarrett Jack and Brandon Rush for Bayless and Ike Diogu. If ODen is healthy next year they're going to be pretty freaking good. >>

Certainly. And I seriously think the kid that Sacramento took from Rider is going to be a solid NBA guy. 4 Year Seniors who are 20/10 guys and the best player on their team and in their conference should project out better among these teams....well, unless you drafted Gary Trent once upon a time.

Edited to add: SHAQ OF THE MAC!!!
  • Options
    Now that Portland has made their obligatory draft day trade, all is now right in the world.

Projected lineup next year
    Jerryd Bayless - PG
    Brandon Roy - SG
    Martell Webster/Travis Outlaw - SF
    LaMarcus Auldridge - PF
    Greg Oden - C

edit: @#$% Just heard that Josh McRoberts is involved in the trade as well. That does it! I'm done with Portland, and most likely quitting the hobby as well.

Did McRoberts even get off the bench last year?

• Options

<< <i>Did McRoberts even get off the bench last year? >>

there was a wet spot on the floor...so someone had to wipe it down.

and i like rush, but i knew he would get traded because he plays the 2 and roy already has that position. i think the pacers got a solid player in rush.
  • Options
    Watching Darrell Arthur int he green room is painful. I was hoping my Jazz would pick him, but they went with the goofy foreign kid from Ohio St.
  • Options
    koufas was actually born in ohio, but played one year in europe before entering ohio state.
  • Options
    are arthur and jordan the only guys left in the room?
  • Options
    I stand corrected. I mean the goofy kid with the foreign name.

• Options
    I think it's just Darrell. They just interviewed him and he sounds like his wife just told him she cheated on him with his brother.
  • Options
    Ric Bucher just chimed in that Darrell Arthur might have some kind of kidney ailment that is making teams steer clear of him.
  • Options
    Jesus, the Blazers are getting Darrell Arthur at #27. Can we just hand them the 2011 Championship trophy or should they actually go through the trouble of playing the games?
  • Options
    solid pick up for portland.
  • Options

y'know, maybe Arthur has kidney issues, maybe not. Either way, it's a very low-risk move for Portland to take a chance on him, but with a potential huge upside. I'm liking the pick. On second though, I'm loving the pick.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I stand corrected. I mean the goofy kid with the foreign name. >>

-1 for goofy kids with foreign names. Seriously, how many of these guys whose last names don't rhyme with 'Binobli' ever wind up playing a meaningful role on a championship team? I give you Mehmet Okur, but after that who? Kukoc? Do we really have to go back that far?

Every year GM's start drooling over this parade of seven footers who can bury a jumper from the elbow, and every year these guys get jailsexed by someone like Kevin Garnett in game 9 of the regular season and are never the same again. Hint to NBA GM's: NONE of these big guys from Europe are the next coming of Moses Malone! Just take whatever 6' 8" swingman is available and pray he can pry himself away from the bong long enough to make an effort a 7 pm. EST four nights a week for seven months.

• Options
    Nice rant, but the simple facts are that only about 10% of the draft picks ever turn out to be everyday starters. I think that percentage transfers to foreign players as well. Most draft picks turn out to be busts- that's just the way it is.