Home Sports Talk

Any golfers in the house?

Ive played a few times a year since high school (im 24), but am just taking it serioulsy now. Im currently a whopping 17 handicap and hope to get it to close to 10 by the end of they year. I used an online site to figure my handicap and thought it would be much higher, i assume the slope rating of the courses i play is making it look better than i feel like i actually play.

How long have you played and whats your handicap?
My baseball and MMA articles-
http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey

Comments

• Me and my friends started last summer and basically go out when there's nothing else to do. Anyways, I'm unfortunately in the high 20s. image
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does a hack with a handicap of 23 count?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • I'm pretty good with a club. Just ask the dummy that broke into my house last month.
  • Sounds like we all suck! Glad to know im not alone in the trees.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I'am 30 and have been playing for about 21 years. Right now I'am a 9 handicap trending to a 10. I was a much better golfer when I was in high school and college. I should take lessons but I don't. Very inconsistant. I can go out and shoot a 90 or 78.
  • I have been golfing since my teens (20 years or so) and have a 7 handicap. I don't get out that much, only a few times a year, it seems like the more I go, the worse I get, so I usually only play in tournaments. My son has started playing, he's just five and can hit the heck out of the ball, so I have a feeling we will be going a little more often, last time out, he had a 40 yard shot and ended up 3 feet from the pin. Lookout Tiger.
  • RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I'VE BEEN SCRATCH MY ENTIRE LIFE UNTIL I TORE MY ROTATOR CUFF. PLAYED ON A SCHOLARSHIP IN COLLEGE (NORTH TEXAS). WON 14 BASE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN THE AIR FORCE. 2 HOLES IN ONE. HAVEN'T PLAYED COMPETITIVELY SINCE RETIRING FROM THE SERVICE IN 1991. image
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Ive been playing since 97, golf is the hardest game to get good at. It took me 2 years to lose my slice (Well it still shows up now and again) stay with it and you will see your game get better. Just remember to spend an equal amount of time practiceing putting. I am a solid bogey golfer, never kept track of my handicap but bogey golf makes me think evens possible.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I've been playing since I was 3 years old. I'm 29 now. At my best I was an 8.7 when I played for my college team (nothing special - Division III Emerson College). I played for my H.S. too. I'm somewhere around a 13 now because I took 3 years off when I quit smoking (I also had to quit playing pool in a league - both things were just too stressful to do without the nicotine). What's the online handicap site you used? I'd be curious to know what I am these days as I have not kept a card since I started playing again. Does it allow you to enter scores and slope rating etc.? I shot my first even par 9 about 2 months ago - was the greatest sporting accomplishment of my life, and will probably never be duplicated. It was an even par 35 on the back 9 at Debell Golf Course in Burbank, CA. I was 1 under going to the 18th tee but I was so nervous about going out of bounds left and ruining it that I pushed my drive 30 yards right. I had a 40 footer for -1 but cozied it up to a foot and a half and a sweet 3 Birdie/3 Par/3 Bogey EVEN PAR 35. image

Best of luck with getting close to single digits. Honestly, the difference between a 6 and a 12 is all mental. If you make good decisions and don't try crazy shots and take your medicine, you should be able to get to a 10. Then you need to figure out how to make your 30-90 yard wedges get to 8-15 feet from the hole instead of just somewhere on the green. Good luck!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Back in college, I was down below 10 but now around 15 to 20, depending on how many beers I drink.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Guess I never really tried to figure it out. I never played often enough to care until this year. We bought a house about 4 miles from a course last December and I finally decided to buy a membership. It is also good for two other nearby courses, so it's a very good deal. The first nine I ever played (when I was about 16) was a 50. That was without any practice with the exception of a putt-putt course image Since that time, I really hadn't improved only playing five times a year and never hitting the range. I have played about 30 rounds already this year and have probably shaved nearly 7 strokes off from my nine-hole average. I played an 18 two days ago and got an 83 which is tied for my best 18 ever, but I've been methodically closing in on the 70's so I hope to get there by summer. Nice when the wife lets you retire early and spend 3-4 days a week golfing. Gotta love her image

edit - guess I shaved more like 7 strokes and less like 10 image
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    No surf and nothing to do around here, so me and a couple of friends hit up the links for a round yesterday after football. My one friend shot an 89 (par=72), another shot 118 and I shot a 115 image.
  • JaredcJaredc Posts: 58
    You never lose you slice, you just learn to aim a little to the left and have a perfect fade.

Beer exponentially improves my round over the past few years.

I've been playing about 20 years and proabbly about 10-12 haven't checked in a while.
    Jared

Must end life...in classic Lorne Green pose...from 'Battlestar Galactica'...best...death...ever!"

-Comic Book Guy