Home Sports Talk
Options

Carl Pavano charged with Grand Theft

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well he should be, as he robbed $40 million from the New York Yankees. I guess his rehab will be complete this year, after his contract runs out.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Before the season started, the Yankees asked him to leave his contract since he has basically done NOTHING for that 40 Mil. Of course he wouldnt. Two things strike me curious about that...
    1. Yankees must have insurance so they will get a good portion of that back anyway
    2. Pavano must have a screwy head cuz that's really greedy...Yanks have already made him a millionaire. I very much dislike Pavano.
  • Options

<< <i>Before the season started, the Yankees asked him to leave his contract since he has basically done NOTHING for that 40 Mil. Of course he wouldnt. Two things strike me curious about that...
    1. Yankees must have insurance so they will get a good portion of that back anyway
    2. Pavano must have a screwy head cuz that's really greedy...Yanks have already made him a millionaire. I very much dislike Pavano. >>

Barry could you really expect him to return that money? A contract is a contract, say they signed him for 3 mill a year and he won consecutive Cy Young awards and wanted to re do his contract for bigger bucks would the Yankees say ok to that? Its not his fault the Yankees threw him foolish money like that, honestly if it was me I would keep the money.
  • Options
    Maybe Pavano will have a huge comeback year for the sox (who will sign him for $5 and a first aid kit; plus he gets 100K for every win, 200K for every win against the yankees.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Pavano deal is but one example of the problems of 100% guaranteed money. Baseball (and others) should take a page from the NFL's agreement with the NFLPA
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the Pavano deal is but one example of the problems of 100% guaranteed money. Baseball (and others) should take a page from the NFL's agreement with the NFLPA >>

I think the NFL should give guaranteed money; MLB and the NBA have it right. BTW, I believe that Yankees are guilty of stupidity in giving the contract. Pavano'a history did not justify a big contract.
  • Options

<< <i>Before the season started, the Yankees asked him to leave his contract since he has basically done NOTHING for that 40 Mil. Of course he wouldnt. Two things strike me curious about that...
    2. Pavano must have a screwy head cuz that's really greedy...Yanks have already made him a millionaire. I very much dislike Pavano. >>

I wonder if insurance is available at a reasonable price. This risk seems uninsurable on the face of it.

What I wonder is if the Yankees can recover some of the money from Pavano because of the car accident, which likely prlonged his rehab. If I recall correctly, they did not have to pay Aaron Boone when he got injured playing basketball (however this was likely specified in his contract, whereas the reckless driving in a Ferrari was probably not). Nonetheless, I would think some contractual provison (i.e. "moral hazard") might give the Yankees some recourse against Pavano.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Paul
    No, I dont expect him to opt out of his contract. I know 99.9% of people would stick with it. Just annoys me that the guy gets MILLIONS for pitching in a total of 19 games for the Yankees. Yeah, it was stupid money, no doubt. No one can deny that. Again, just me being annoyed.
  • Options

<< <i>

. BTW, I believe that Yankees are guilty of stupidity in giving the contract. . >>

Class dismissed
  • Options
    There were a couple of horrible contracts given to free agent pitchers that year -I guess this one is easier for Sox fans to remember than Matt Clement, though...
  • Options

<< <i>There were a couple of horrible contracts given to free agent pitchers that year -I guess this one is easier for Sox fans to remember than Matt Clement, though... >>

Agreed, Im not saying the Yankees were the only team- it happens all over Baseball but ussually not this type of money and lack of productivity though. Mike Hampton? comes to mind I think that situation was pretty ugly as well if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I thought Matt Clement was actually a good signing at the time. He pitched pretty well for the Red Sox until he got drilled in the head with that line drive. At the very least, the Clement signing was better economically for the Red Sox because Clement actually won 18 games for the Red Sox (in 44 starts) and pitched 269 total innings for them. Based on money paid to him through 2007 Clement earned about $96,000 for each inning he pitched or $1.43 million per win. Pavano won a grand total of 5 games for the Yankees in 19 starts and pitched 111 1/3 innings which equals about $242,000 for each inning he has pitched and $5.4 million for each win (again only counting salary through 2007).
  • Options

<< <i>I thought Matt Clement was actually a good signing at the time. He pitched pretty well for the Red Sox until he got drilled in the head with that line drive. At the very least, the Clement signing was better economically for the Red Sox because Clement actually won 18 games for the Red Sox (in 44 starts) and pitched 269 total innings for them. Based on money paid to him through 2007 Clement earned about $96,000 for each inning he pitched or $1.43 million per win. Pavano won a grand total of 5 games for the Yankees in 19 starts and pitched 111 1/3 innings which equals about $242,000 for each inning he has pitched and $5.4 million for each win (again only counting salary through 2007). >>

Same here, Clement was on the all star team his first year with the Sox, the wore out the second half. Then he was never the same after getting drilled in the head.
  • Options
    Try to spin it any way you want, the Clement signing was dog crap. If you want to talk about "at the time", the Pavano signing looked much better than the Clement signing (and don't forget the Sox tried to get Pavano back too) - Pavano was coming off an 18 win season (I think Clement won like 6 games that year) and Pavano had looked damn good in the 2003 post-season.

<< <i>Agreed, Im not saying the Yankees were the only team- it happens all over Baseball >>

Exactly. And does anyone think the Yankees organization really feels cares about Pavano's 10 mil?

Carl Pavano is a bust? 2006 called, it wants its thread back.

eta - I can't believe this is the 6th Carl Pavano thread on the board, and the Yankees org. thing
  • Options

<< <i>Try to spin it any way you want, the Clement signing was dog crap. If you want to talk about "at the time", the Pavano signing looked much better than the Clement signing (and don't forget the Sox tried to get Pavano back too) - Pavano was coming off an 18 win season (I think Clement won like 6 games that year) and Pavano had looked damn good in the 2003 post-season.

<< <i>Agreed, Im not saying the Yankees were the only team- it happens all over Baseball >>

Exactly.

Carl Pavano is a bust? 2006 called, it wants it's thread back. >>

Correct, Clement was near as big as bust as Pavano. The disappointing thing about Pavano was his commitment to rehab did not seem genuine as he was racing his Ferrari. Makes you wonder if he would be pitcing today if he did not have the guaranteed contract (i.e. he probably would have been more careful).

Also, Rent-a-Wreck IMO was as big a bust as Clement, given the $$$ they had to eat, and Julio Luso is a very expensive error-prone #9 hitter.
  • Options
    While we're on the subject though, Arods deal is ridiculous, Bobby Abreu makes way too much (not their fault but taking on that huge number was crazy), Giambi never has really earned all of his money, anything Latroy Hawkins makes is too much, Kyke Farnsworth is overpaid, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few... Brian Cashman has made a lot of questionable decisions over the past few years. Count me among those who'd like to see a change at GM.
  • Options
    Giambi has no bussiness being the 2nd or 3rd highest player in the Majors, but for what its worth I give him credit for still being a productive hitter after the steroid mess- he is hitting the ball really well and has his HR swing back.
  • Options
    Did you guys really expect any less? After all, he did play for the Yankees
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steinbrenner and company used to make some dam good free agent signings, and of course then they just got in a bad habit of signing "everybody" - bad habits are hard to break but maybe something like this combined with their lack of championships year after year lately, will break them of this costly habit...but I doubt it.
  • Options
    Salary
    1998 Montreal Expos $170,000
    1999 Montreal Expos $225,000
    2000 Montreal Expos $255,000
    2001 Montreal Expos $1,300,000
    2002 Montreal Expos $1,312,500
    2003 Florida Marlins $1,500,000
    2004 Florida Marlins $3,800,000
    2005 New York Yankees $9,000,000
    2006 New York Yankees $8,000,000
    2007 New York Yankees $10,000,000
    Career (may be incomplete) $35,562,500
  • Options

<< <i>Steinbrenner and company used to make some dam good free agent signings, and of course then they just got in a bad habit of signing "everybody" - bad habits are hard to break but maybe something like this combined with their lack of championships year after year lately, will break them of this costly habit...but I doubt it. >>

The reason behind them not winning championships anymore-or at least in the 00's is because other teams- mainly the Red Sox- finally realized without doing this it limits you from seriously competing for a World Series title. When the Sox signed Drew and Dice last year it got me a little nervous about them "overspending" and not thinking about the future of the franchise, signings like that can destroy your team if they dont work out, luckily the Sox have/had a large talent pool of up and comers to offset these signings. All in all Pavano wasnt a bad signing it was more of bad luck- obviously they didnt expect him to undergo Tommy John surgery.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Try to spin it any way you want, the Clement signing was dog crap. If you want to talk about "at the time", the Pavano signing looked much better than the Clement signing (and don't forget the Sox tried to get Pavano back too) - Pavano was coming off an 18 win season (I think Clement won like 6 games that year) and Pavano had looked damn good in the 2003 post-season. >>

In fairness, Clement won 9 games the year before the Red Sox signed him. I know that's nothing to cough up millions for, but his other numbers suggest he wasn't that bad. He pitched in 181 innings and struck out 190 batters. He also had a pretty decent 3.68 ERA and a 1.282 WHIP. Clement also outpitched the D-Train in Game 4 of the NLCS in 2003 giving up just 3 runs in 7 2/3 innings -- that was the last game the Cubs won that year.

In the end we're all right though. Both contracts amounted to great big heaping steaming piles of compost and in hindsight neither pitcher deserved the money they got.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I still can't find an article on this anywhere.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Steinbrenner and company used to make some dam good free agent signings, and of course then they just got in a bad habit of signing "everybody" - bad habits are hard to break but maybe something like this combined with their lack of championships year after year lately, will break them of this costly habit...but I doubt it. >>

The reason behind them not winning championships anymore-or at least in the 00's is because other teams- mainly the Red Sox- finally realized without doing this it limits you from seriously competing for a World Series title. When the Sox signed Drew and Dice last year it got me a little nervous about them "overspending" and not thinking about the future of the franchise, signings like that can destroy your team if they dont work out, luckily the Sox have/had a large talent pool of up and comers to offset these signings. All in all Pavano wasnt a bad signing it was more of bad luck- obviously they didnt expect him to undergo Tommy John surgery. >>

The Yankees with their money sign the seemingly "best" players...but Boston has been signing the "right" players - there's a difference.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The reason behind them not winning championships anymore-or at least in the 00's is because other teams- mainly the Red Sox- finally realized without doing this it limits you from seriously competing for a World Series title. When the Sox signed Drew and Dice last year it got me a little nervous about them "overspending" and not thinking about the future of the franchise, signings like that can destroy your team if they dont work out, luckily the Sox have/had a large talent pool of up and comers to offset these signings. All in all Pavano wasnt a bad signing it was more of bad luck- obviously they didnt expect him to undergo Tommy John surgery. >>

The Yankees with their money sign the seemingly "best" players...but Boston has been signing the "right" players - there's a difference. >>

Well if you look at guys like Julio Lugo and Eric Gagne as "right" players then I would have to disagree image

Alot of it has to do with Terry Francona and the Sox farm system too, Ellsbury, Youk, Papelbon, Pedroia, Lester ect. as opposed to Hughes, Melky, and other homegrown Yanks that are not as good image