Home Sports Talk
Options

Ryan Howard: The new Rob Deer -- Update: NOT ANYMORE!!

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
But even Rob Deer could not whiff 200 times in one season. Good luck Ryan, you can do it!! image

Update: Strikeouts are way down, and he his has obscense HRs and RBIs. Give the Phillies hitting coach a HUGE raise!!

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Howard out homering all the Mets combined. At least we arn't on manager #2 this season!

JS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Howard out homering all the Mets combined.

More BS from Kevin. Dude do you ever think before you write something?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Howard out homering all the Mets combined.

More BS from Kevin. Dude do you ever think before you write something?

Steve >>

Wow, the Mets as a whole team don't have 19 home runs? They must really suck.
  • Options
    Just don't choke on all the David Wright for MVP press clippings...

oh wait, what David Wright for MVP press clippings???

LMAO

js
  • Options
    Wow this guy strikes out 35% of the time.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    !!! Howard has more strikeouts than hits and walks combined this year!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    He's a bum. He'd fit right in with the Mutts though.

Rob Deer for anyone that cares K'd 36% of the time.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>He's a bum. He'd fit right in with the Mutts though.

Rob Deer for anyone that cares K'd 36% of the time.

Steve >>

I remember when Deer played for the Tigers. You pretty much knew he was going to either hit a homer, a double or wiff. Still kinda fun to watch him hack at it most of the time, but depressing when you knew you really only needed a hit to win.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember when Deer played for the Tigers. You pretty much knew he was going to either hit a homer, a double or wiff. Still kinda fun to watch him hack at it most of the time, but depressing when you knew you really only needed a hit to win. >>

As a Giants fan, I remember watching J.R. Phillips "hack" like that. He was so hyped coming up, and he sucked.

In 1996, Phillips had 104 ABs and 51 strike outs. Many pitchers don't even have that high a whiff rate.
  • Options
    Bump for the whiffer. Still on track to set a new record!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no Phillies fan by any stretch of the imagination, but Rob Deer never even came close to the likes Ryan Howard's power numbers. If you're gonna average 45 HR's and 135 RBI's every year I can forgive any strikeout total. Also, before this season Ryan Howard had a .291 career average. Deer broke .250 in only 1 season.
  • Options
    too bad this year ryan is hitting .229 and walking a lot less. HIS OPS is lousy.
  • Options

<< <i>too bad this year ryan is hitting .229 and walking a lot less. HIS OPS is lousy. >>

Yeah, I think every NL pitcher now has a pretty good "book" on him.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howard only gets worse year after year...I bet 2006 seems like a looong time ago to the big guy!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I guess Maddux didn't have the book on him huh?

Sincerely,
    Moon Shot
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>too bad this year ryan is hitting .229 and walking a lot less. HIS OPS is lousy. >>

Yeah, I think every NL pitcher now has a pretty good "book" on him. >>

yep, he's being totally killed. that's why he's tied for the league lead in HRs and leading in RBIs....

imagine if he had any kind of success at all the numbers he'd put up.

strikeouts suck, but anyone who doesn' admit he's always been INSANELY production his ENTIRE carrer is just being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass.
  • Options
    Mets are bent cause Wright can't hit em deep.

JS
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yep, he's being totally killed. that's why he's tied for the league lead in HRs and leading in RBIs....

strikeouts suck, but anyone who doesn' admit he's always been INSANELY production his ENTIRE carrer is just being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass. >>

Ryan Howard was insanely productive in 2006, and he was very good in 2007.

But in 2008, Ryan Howard is slightly less productive than the average hitter in the league; considering that he plays an easy position poorly, he may not be among the 100 best players in the National League. And he is leading the league in RBI. That only sounds odd if you think RBI mean much of anything.

This may be a first if the season ends this way: Ryan Howard has committed more errors at first base than the Phillies regular third baseman and shortstop COMBINED!
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mets are bent cause Wright can't hit em deep.

JS >>

Shut-up welcher
  • Options
    Kevin is spending alot of time ralking about Wright these days...unfortunately, for Sillies fans (and bandwagon fans like him), Wright will be popping champagne at some point in September to celebrate a NL East title while Howard will be wondering what went wrong...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Sounds like you all have Howard-envy! Join Pujols in the whining room, the real deal plays in Philly!

BAM (there goes another long ball)

JS
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>yep, he's being totally killed. that's why he's tied for the league lead in HRs and leading in RBIs....

strikeouts suck, but anyone who doesn' admit he's always been INSANELY production his ENTIRE carrer is just being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass. >>

Ryan Howard was insanely productive in 2006, and he was very good in 2007.

But in 2008, Ryan Howard is slightly less productive than the average hitter in the league; considering that he plays an easy position poorly, he may not be among the 100 best players in the National League. And he is leading the league in RBI. That only sounds odd if you think RBI mean much of anything.

This may be a first if the season ends this way: Ryan Howard has committed more errors at first base than the Phillies regular third baseman and shortstop COMBINED! >>

HRs dont count for much either I guess...
    so, you're calling Ryan Howard less productive than the average major league hitter.
    we can pretty much stop arguing here. we're not going to find middle ground.

• Options

<< <i>HRs dont count for much either I guess... >>

On the contrary, they count for a great deal. If Howard did ANYthing else well besides hitting HR, as he did in years past, then he'd be the player you imagine him to be. But he doesn't, and he's not. Dave Kingman - the player who represents the best historical comparison to Howard - led the league in HR in 1982 and was also a below average hitter. Like Howard, when you throw in his god-awful fielding, he was not among the 100 best players in the league that year.

<< <i>so, you're calling Ryan Howard less productive than the average major league hitter. >>

Well, technically, yes; I'm the one here calling him that. But it's not like I made it up. Use OPS+, use Win Shares, use Linear Weights, use anything you want besides an arbitrary single statistic like RBI and you get the same result - Ryan Howard is a below average hitter this year. Put a really good hitter like Pujols or Berkman into Howard's spot in the lineup and Hack Wilson's RBI record might be in jeopardy.

<< <i>we can pretty much stop arguing here. we're not going to find middle ground. >>

No, but perhaps one of us will let go of outdated notions of what makes a baseball player valuable.
  • Options
    Wow I finally agree with dallas.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sounds like you all have Howard-envy! Join Pujols in the whining room, the real deal plays in Philly!

BAM (there goes another long ball)

lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow I finally agree with dallas. >>

So, can we talk about Ron Fairly? image
  • Options
    Hey Fairly was a good ballplayer, but he was no Jim Rice.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>This may be a first if the season ends this way: Ryan Howard has committed more errors at first base than the Phillies regular third baseman and shortstop COMBINED! >>

Holy crap, I did not know he was THAT bad at fielding. Big Papi could probably do better than that (but barely).
  • Options
    The fact is Howards stats blow Papi out of the water AND he plays in the field everyday...do we need to compare salaries?

That was a poor comparison red sox fans.....next

JS
  • Options

<< <i>The fact is Howards stats blow Papi out of the water AND he plays in the field everyday...do we need to compare salaries?

That was a poor comparison red sox fans.....next

JS >>

Are you sniffing glue? Offensively, Papi's career stats and even this year's stats are better than Howard's when you measure total value. And Howard's horrible fielding adds zero to his value defensively.

Howard got $10mm in arbitration, the highest arbitration award ever, IIRC. Papi makes something like $12.5mm. That extra $2.5 million is more than worth it. The Sillies will have to pony up $15mm+ when Howard is free agent eligilble anyway.
  • Options
    "HRs dont count for much either I guess...
    so, you're calling Ryan Howard less productive than the average major league hitter."

he is, and he is 100% correct.
  • Options
    Are you sniffing glue? Offensively, Papi's career stats and even this year's stats are better than Howard's when you measure total value. And Howard's horrible fielding adds zero to his value defensively.

Howard got $10mm in arbitration, the highest arbitration award ever, IIRC. Papi makes something like $12.5mm. That extra $2.5 million is more than worth it. The Sillies will have to pony up $15mm+ when Howard is free agent eligilble anyway.

Trying to enlighten or educate Kevin on baseball is without question a futile effort indeed.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Trying to enlighten or educate Kevin on baseball is without question a futile effort indeed. >>

Same goes for football and betting as well.
  • Options
    Dang, what happened to Howard in September? More than twice as many hits as K's? BA up to .250, OBP .340? And possibly no new strikeout record?

He is ruining my Rob Deer comparison! image