Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

'Under the Radar' Sets That Make You Say WOW!

With my 'limited' budget I tend to go for quantity over quality (I do have some nice coins), I run across sets that blow me away,

We've pretty much all heard of the specialized sets that are outstanding (TDN comes to mind), but what about those that are under the radar...

2 that come to mind are ESM's U.S. Cents Complete Set with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1793-present) at 98.26% complete!!! 749 coins,,,,starting from 1793!! Yikes! image
AND a GPA of 62.25. Un-freakin believable (IMO)

Still awed by High Desert's Complete U.S. Type Set (1792-1964) at 100% complete & a 63.93 GPA is another set that blows me away.

Any other sets that are 'under the radar' that need recognition?

Oh yea, almost forgot all of supamonk's early mint sets.
If there was a set for 1927-47 Mint set, what a set he would have!

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are 2 big sets you mentioned Ajia.

I would like to see PCGS add another set that would be just incredible, and virtually unrealistic d/t the scarcity of certain coins, but anyway I would love to see a complete United States coin set from 1792-date encompassing all denominations Mint state/Proof, varieties, cherry picker guide varieties, designations, patterns, metals, and gold too. Obviously it just cannot and will not be done, but you have to know that there are already sets that PCGS has started that no-one will complete. I think it would be fun just to see how far some of us can go.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

Given your avatar, looks like you may have gone a bit too far already!! image

Yup, I've been waiting for a set like that.....maybe without the cherry picker guide varieties, designations, patterns, & metals.
    Ideally (for me), a complete (1792-Present) mint; proof; mint & proof set.
    Then another including varieties.

Will (can?) anyone beat Eliasberg??

Augie
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am almost of the opinion that "beating Eliasberg" is an absurd concept at best, and it is honestly more likely that humans will colonize another star system in our lifetime. The MAN had a natural advantage that we simply cannot duplicate... TIMING. Starting as early as he did, it was still an astounding feat to assemble such a set, but in today's day and age, with as many tight fisted collectors holding, and as many fat walleted buyers bidding, I simply cannot imagine a scenario where such a set could be duplicated, or even closely matched.

That said, building a circulated date set, or even one of all mintmarked coins to the exclusion of your 1894-s dimes, 1804 dollars, and 1913 Liberty Nickels, I will concede is within the realm of possibility. Barring high grade as a prerequisite, I think that set would be downright fun to build... and WOW, what a bunch of coins that would be.

-Matt

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am almost of the opinion that "beating Eliasberg" is an absurd concept at best, and it is honestly more likely that humans will colonize another star system in our lifetime. The MAN had a natural advantage that we simply cannot duplicate... TIMING. Starting as early as he did, it was still an astounding feat to assemble such a set, but in today's day and age, with as many tight fisted collectors holding, and as many fat walleted buyers bidding, I simply cannot imagine a scenario where such a set could be duplicated, or even closely matched.

That said, building a circulated date set, or even one of all mintmarked coins to the exclusion of your 1894-s dimes, 1804 dollars, and 1913 Liberty Nickels, I will concede is within the realm of possibility. Barring high grade as a prerequisite, I think that set would be downright fun to build... and WOW, what a bunch of coins that would be.

-Matt >>

Matt,

Exactly...I wouldn't think anyone could even come close to building it, but Man-o-Man would it be fun to watch someone try. It would be the set of all sets and I believe someone like Ajia and/or Dr. Brown could come realtively close just in the moderns for completion.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to disagree. It could be done.....if you had the money. With Bill Gates money I could put Elisburg to shame!

The coins ARE there if you have the money.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id like to see a complete Confederate States collection. It would only be seven coins.... but very expensive to do.

(They could actually make it meaner by including one of the four original 1861 struck CSA halves)image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am trying for the ultimate in the mini type fractional gold condition rarities for the period 2 pocket pieces.

It has taken me over 12 years to get to this point.

I still need just a couple of upgrades or slabbing one of my raw pieces to achieve the highest possible graded set.

But then again who really cares as the set is so small and microscopic in size that anyone over 50 cannot even find the California fractional pieces inside the PCGS holders anyway!image

That probably explains why the radar cannot find the California fractional pieces/set either?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?is it true a lot of these are dug up in the old mining camp garbage dumps?