Home Sports Talk
Options

Jake Peavy

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
I just love watching this guy pitch. He really goes all out, intense, and has GREAT stuff. But how long of a career can he have?

His mechanics do not look like they are made for longevity. He has a career record of 81-55 and that winning percentage will continue to rise aas long as he stays healthy. Surprisingly hasnt had a 20 win season...or maybe not so surprising since he pitches for the Padres. Had 19 wins last year.

Anyone have thoughts on Peavy?

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I would expect Peavy to be very similar to Roy Oswalt. There are a lot of similarities in their game. Oswalt has hit a wall and now needs to learn how to pitch and change speed and location.

The same will happen to Peavy when he loses the "edge" on his "stuff."

From a mechanics point of view, I see him, Lincecum, Joba, Harden, and Volquez as having potential physical issues since there is a ton of extra torque and motion in their pitching style. They certainly aren't free and easy like Mariano Rivera or Nolan Ryan.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Not exactly going out on a limb on the Harden prediction there (given that he's got the constitution of a little girl and spends more time on the DL than Nomar "glass body" Garciaparra does) but I agree with you. Too many of these guys are getting by on "stuff" and it seems like the truly great are the hard throwers that later figure out how to become pitchers.