Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has your 30 day detailed seller rating dropped?

I don't know what else I can do. 100% positive feedback, cards are shipped out the same day or next day at the latest, dropped shipping price to Free, or $2.50 and .50 for each extra card, all the cards are Psa Graded with no qualifiers (95% of them have been Psa 10's) Cards are shipped in a brand new penny sleeve,brand new top loader, team bag & oversized cardboard for both raw and graded, and bubble mailer with invoice, drive them to the post office. How else can you communicate on a Psa 10 other than sending them the invoice right when the auction ends, and then emailing them as soon as I get back from the post office to let them know there card has shipped, and then leave positive feedback? Has is actually been proven that ebay doesn't mess with the numbers in any way? What should my next move be? Raise shipping and forget about the whole power seller status, list all items with a starting price of $2.50 or $3.00 & free shipping, or something else?

Comments

• Options
    I am kinda wondering about the whole DSR thing anyway. My Shipping and handling charge DSR was a 4.9 Last Friday for the past 30 days. The 15th invoice day it was down to 4.7 I only recieved 8 feedback in that time 6 were from my repeat customers that always leave me 5s. That was just enough to push me off the 15% today it is back up to a 4.9.

I don't even worry about it anymore, I added about 1.00 shipping to my more expensive items which is still cheaper than the category average. If I get a discount great if not oh well.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    I'm at a loss for you. I ship within 48 hours, sell only graded cards, charge $3.50 +$1 for shipping and always answer email the same day.

My ratings are 5.0, 5.0, 4.9 and 4.9.

Not sure what happened to you but looks like some buyer was not happy and nicked you up a bit. In 30 days the rating will change. I only look at the 12 month number anyway; what are your 12 month numbers like? It might be one buyer who screwed up your monthly numbers.

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    Here is my 12 month. Could it be because I just started selling and my feedback score is only 103, and most of my sales have been after ebay changed their policy?

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    no sales yet, but I realized at 1.65 I am LOSING about 70 cents on every shipped item. Not to mention free bubble mailers image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no doubt in my mind that buyers "lowball" the shipping charges category in hopes to get cheaper shipping rates in the future...almost no matter how low are the shipping rates. And I'm sure the bigshots at ebay know this as well. I imagine if the shipping rate was the price of a stamp, 42 cents, some buyers would still lowball that.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    with over 300 ratings, i had a 4.7 average for the last 12 months on S&H charges..

i havent changed anything..

in the last 30 days, ebay says my S&H rating has averaged 4.4 stars..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    System
    Initial Question/Comment: Completing a Transaction

3:17:59 PM SystemSystem
    Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help!

3:17:59 PM SystemSystem
    You are successfully connected to eBay Live Help. Please hold for the next available Live Help Agent.

3:18:34 PM SystemSystem
    Jesselle R. has joined this session!

3:18:34 PM SystemSystem
    Connected with Jesselle R.

3:18:44 PM AgentJesselle R.
    Hello, thanks for waiting and welcome to eBay Live Help! My name is Jesselle. How may I help you?

3:20:28 PM Customer
    If you sell an item with free shipping, is the buyer allowed to rate you anything less than a 5 for shipping

and handling charges?

3:20:59 PM AgentJesselle R.
    I will be more than glad to find out what I can do for you. Since it is Free shipping then there is no

shipping charge.

3:22:09 PM Customer
    Correct, but do they still have the option of dinging your stars for shipping and handling?

3:22:34 PM AgentJesselle R.
    Oh you were referring to the DSR, yes they can still rate you.

3:24:22 PM Customer
    How is it that they are given the option of dinging your shipping and handling charges stars if shipping

was free?

3:25:45 PM AgentJesselle R.
    The DSR stars automatically show when they leave feedback, we are also unable to block it from

showing even if you provided a Free shipping for your listing.

3:29:32 PM Customer
    Ok, I just want to make sure that I have this on record. I can sell an item to someone with shipping being

free of charge, and then ebay gives that same buyer the option of rating my shipping and handling

charges 1 star. Is that correct?

3:31:10 PM AgentJesselle R.
    Yes that is correct, when buyers leave feedbacks the DSR sections to rate will appear regardless if you

offered Free shipping or not. Is there anything else I may assist you with?

3:32:38 PM Customer
    Nope, thats all I wanted to know.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "There's no doubt in my mind that buyers "lowball" the shipping charges category in hopes to get cheaper shipping rates in the future..."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sadly, "free" s+h has not shown to make much difference in the stars.

The DSR numbers always seem to tank the day before EBAY decides
    what FVF rebates to issue.

NPBs can leave NEGs AND ding the stars.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    3:24:22 PM Customer
    How is it that they are given the option of dinging your shipping and handling charges stars if shipping was free?

3:25:45 PM AgentJesselle R.
    The DSR stars automatically show when they leave feedback, we are also unable to block it from showing even if you provided a Free shipping for your listing.

//////////////////////////////////////////////

A simple if/then statement in the code would hide the S+H stars
    for folks who offer "free" S+H.

That is not in EBAY's interest, so they won't do it.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I would not worry about it. I may charge $2.50 for shipping but I make sure to use a new magnetic holder or screw down with a team bag and place each card in a foam sleeve in a bubble mailer. All my packages are 4 oz. but I think the buyers appreciate that I use extra matieral and new holders. I also throw in a free card once in awhile. Either way you can't please everyone.
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"There's no doubt in my mind that buyers "lowball" the shipping charges category in hopes to get cheaper shipping rates in the future..."

NPBs can leave NEGs AND ding the stars. >>

Storm, I disagree. Free S/H invites people who are trying to focus on costs and not service. Three of the four DSR rating are based on service. By charging $3.50+$1 I have 4.95 DSR S/H rating because people understand that good packaging and timily shipping are worth the money. It also discourges people who value WES as acceptable, hence I get a higher quality of buyer.

Just my 2 cents,

Mike

**Edited to add, I sell only graded cards and use boxes to ship more than two cards, so that might be part of it**

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone really care about these silly ratings? What I mean is, do buyers actually take these star ratings seriously?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    12 Month Avg:
    Item as described: 4.92 (I sell 99.9% graded cards, it should be a 5.0)
    Communication: 4.73
    Shipping Time: 4.38 (sometimes I'm slow and it takes me 5 days to get stuff out. I print labels pretty quick but if I don't get to the PO before work, all bets are off)
    S+H Charges: 4.66 (everything goes in a bubble mailer and I was charging 2.50. People charging more than me were getting a higher rating, so I raised it to 2.75 now. See if that helps the ratings)

30 day avg:
    Described: 5.00 (that's more like it)
    Comm: 5.00
    Ship Time: 4.63 (much better)
    S+H: 4.72 (consistent)

I have standard search standing, bronze power seller and good/current on everything else.

If buyers send me a money order, I send them an email when received. Otherwise, they get the get the email from paypal when the label prints and that's about all they'll hear from me. If I'm going to be delayed in mailing, I usually send an email letting them know. I leave feedback for payments rec'd if I'm online and see it, otherwise auctiva leaves it automagically when I get feedback. Minimal maintenance for me, which I like.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone really care about these silly ratings? What I mean is, do buyers actually take these star ratings seriously? >>

yes, sellers labeled as power sellers are eligible for a disount of ebay fees based on their ratings. you need 4.9's in all catagories to receive the highest discount.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone really care about these silly ratings? What I mean is, do buyers actually take these star ratings seriously? >>

yes, sellers labeled as power sellers are eligible for a disount of ebay fees based on their ratings. you need 4.9's in all catagories to receive the highest discount. >>

Man I really feel sorry for you guys. Speaking from a simple point of view of a buyer, I could care less what your power seller status is or your rating is, as long as your feedback is mostly positive, your not on my no buy list and you have the item I'm looking for, I'm going to bid on it and it doesn't matter what the shipping charge is within 2.00 to 4.00. As a seller, I'll be damned if Ebay with it's listing fees and FVF'S and Paypal fees are going to tell me what to charge for shipping fees. I was up to a year ago charging 2.50 shipping +.50 and I had to go to 3.00 because of postage hikes. I don't care about seller ratings and rarely leave them when I leave feedback. It all seems like some pencil neck trying to justify his position by coming up with ways of dividing the ebay community even more.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    I understand the dilemma and frustration (and the $ cost) for the sellers. From a buyer's perspective, I see a 5 star rating as "perfection" or beyond what I expect. Of course, I expect a reasonable fee for shipping and it to be sent within 2 days of receiving payment. Unfortunately, I often give a 4 star rating for meeting expectations.

Just my $.02 and 4-stars... image
    << image >>
  • Options
    As a seller, I initially thought the DSR would be a nice way to get a little knocked off the invoice at the end of the month, but unfortunately for me I had a couple of bigger sales months and only qualified for the 5% discount, of course this last invoice I qualified for the 15% but didn't do much in sales so it only saved me $3.50...not much motivation there. As a buyer I do actually look at a sellers DSR, specifically the item as described, if I'm buying raw cards and they guy has a 3 star rating in that category I know not to bother with his auctions.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mucky Mutt has shed much light on the problem. Buyers are happy with shipping charges and give a 4 rating, thinking they are complimenting the seller. In truth a 4 according to ebay is a dismal failure. If a seller charges me what he said he would in his listing I give a 5. If I think the charges are unreasonable I simply don't bid.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Aside from the discount if your stars for the past 30 days fall to low your account can be suspended or subject you to all your sales being held by Paypal.

If you get only 20 DSR ratings in a month one 1 on any star is enough for Ebay to suspend you under the new policies.
  • Options

<< <i>Mucky Mutt has shed much light on the problem. Buyers are happy with shipping charges and give a 4 rating, thinking they are complimenting the seller. In truth a 4 according to ebay is a dismal failure. If a seller charges me what he said he would in his listing I give a 5. If I think the charges are unreasonable I simply don't bid. >>

That is excatly what it is. The way Ebay presents it to the buyer is that 4 stars is good, but Ebay tells sellers it is a slight failure. Just like now neutrals count as negs. Many buyers do not know this and in reality most transactions that take place are neutral neither real good or bad.
  • Options

<< <i>"There's no doubt in my mind that buyers "lowball" the shipping charges category in hopes to get cheaper shipping rates in the future..."

NPBs can leave NEGs AND ding the stars. >>

<<< Sadly, "free" s+h has not shown to make much difference in the stars. >>>

I've read that also in the ebay forums, but I do find it a little hard to believe. But in any event, let's say it is true for sure, WTF do the buyers want?...A shipping rebate from the seller for the privilege of them being a buyer? It's crazy ya know that "free shipping" wouldn't make a difference in the DSR...but I guess all these rule changes are making everybody a little "crazy" towards ebay...and I don't mean that in a good way.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Steve

I think many buyers that get free shipping clik on number 3 for shipping.

Ebay tells the buyers that a 4 is good, yet tells the sellers that 5's are what they need.

It is a scam.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

As a seller I take them seriously because I am a silver powerseller, close to being gold, and that 10% difference means a big deal in my ebay bill each month equaling thousands of dollars a year. If my 4.8 current rating rating drops to 4.7 in the shipping charges category, instead of getting 15% off my Final Value fees, I would only get 5% off.

You might be right though for buyers, unless a sellers DSR's look really, REALLY low. Frankly, the "stars thing" and the "grey area" in the stars, is simply a very poor graphic layout for what it's intended to be.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve

I think many buyers that get free shipping clik on number 3 for shipping.

Ebay tells the buyers that a 4 is good, yet tells the sellers that 5's are what they need.

It is a scam.

Steve >>

Steve - I gotta agree with ya that it's like a scam and I'll explain my opinion why...because it conflicts directly with ebay's profit. The more sellers they have at 4.8 and above, then the more final value fees they must return, and that simply means less profit for them. I fully understand the marketing concept behind this, that "better sellers" should bring them in more revenue despite the fee "givebacks", but in my view, the ebay bigshots would much rather have "everybody" at 4.7 instead of 4.8, especially when that earnings per share report comes out and their bigshot executive performance is judged on that.
  • Options
    I still find it funny my DSRs tank the day before invoice time then rebound right after invoice time.
  • Options
    SacramentoSacramento Posts: 2
    edited May 12, 2021 8:19AM

I reuse all of my bubble mailers and cardboard boxes. I got a bunch of free ones on BoxGiver

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting when I purchase an item with free shipping when I go to leave feedback I am not offered any option to rate S/H charges. It's been like that at least a year. I'll take a screen cap next time.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's because you weren't charged shipping and handling.