Home Sports Talk
Options

It's Official - Derek Jeter is the Most Overrated Player in Baseball - Just Ask His Peers!

ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
Jeter voted most overrated player in Sports Illustrated poll

When you think about Derek Jeter's career in pinstripes, four-time World Series champion, World Series MVP, eight-time All-Star and captain are all labels that may come to mind immediately. But when several players in the majors thought about Jeter, they slapped him with another tag: Overrated.

In a Sports Illustrated survey of 495 Major League Baseball players in its June 23 issue, Jeter was voted the most overrated with 10% of the vote. Struggling Giants lefthander Barry Zito was second at 9%, while Alex Rodriguez and Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew were tied for third with 7%. Mets third baseman David Wright and Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis tied for fourth at 4%.

Being named the most overrated player in baseball by some of his peers didn't stop Jeter from going 2-for-3 Thursday and scoring the decisive run in the Yankees' 2-1 win over the Padres, completing a three-game sweep and extending the Bombers' winning streak to seven.

When the Daily News informed Jeter of the survey results, he shunned it altogether.

"I don't want to hear about it," Jeter told The News. "I don't want to hear about it, I don't want to talk about it. All negative stuff I don't want to talk about.''

Source: New York Daily News

Comments

• Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Jeter probably should not be making 20 million dollars this season. I think he is in the twilight of his career. J.D. Drew now looks like a bargain this year.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    You neglect to mention that in the same poll they were asked who would you want to build your team around?

Answer: Arod first and JETER second

Have a nice day image
  • Options
    yep much better ss out there even in minor league teams. heard there,s a couple even better than reyes for 2010.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    ::::eyeroll:::: Wasnt there a thread EXACTLY like this last year? Do we really need to rehash over and over and over again that people think that Jeter is overrated. Cmon CTSox, you're better than that.

This subject has gone beyond the point of "who cares anymore?"
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    TWO words....."the Dive"..

...and I am NOT talking about his career
  • Options
    Jealous Bast ards!!!!

Jeter currently has 2,430 hits. If Jeter gets his usual 200 hits this year he will pass Babe Ruth (#2 with 2,518 hits). Next year Jeter should pass Lou Gehrig (#1 with 2,718 hits). Jeter has more hits than Pete Rose did at the same age.

Yankee All Time Hit Leaders

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Zito isn't overrated -- just way overpaid. Everyone knows he sucks now.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Zito isn't overrated -- just way overpaid. Everyone knows he sucks now. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider the source: New York Daily News
  • Options

<< <i>Consider the source: New York Daily News >>

Meaning what? The poll is in this weeks Sports Illustrated, and if anything, its surprising the Daily News would even print such blasphemy.

I know its a regular thread, but this time its interesting because actual MLB players think this.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Meaning what? The poll is in this weeks Sports Illustrated, and if anything, its surprising the Daily News would even print such blasphemy.

I know its a regular thread, but this time its interesting because actual MLB players think this. >>

Exactly!

Honestly this suprises me a great deal, are these guys jealous of Jeter? The guy has my respect, there's no questioning his devotion to his team IMO and the guy plays his heart out.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know its a regular thread, but this time its interesting because actual MLB players think this. >>

Exactly!

Honestly this suprises me a great deal, are these guys jealous of Jeter? The guy has my respect, there's no questioning his devotion to his team IMO and the guy plays his heart out. >>

Yes, they're jealous. Because how can they say he's the most overrated, and then turn around and say if they were building a team he would be their second choice just behind Arod?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'm a lifelong Yankees fan and I will readily admit that Jeter is overrated. For the volume of ink and admiration he gets and how the press and public fawn over him, you would expect him to hit 60 HR's, bat .360 and play Gold Glove defense every season. I think that is why he is considered overrated.

He doesn't have the composite stats to say that he's the best in the game. He's not even the best at his position (or even in the top 3 anymore).

What Jeter does have is a squeaky-clean image, a hardnosed approach to the game and a penchant for delivering when he's in the spotlight. He makes big plays when big plays are needed.

It doesn't hurt that he has been very consistent while most of his 1990's contemporaries are either out of baseball or languishing on the bench or DL. The only player that was his equal during the first 5 years of his career that is still performing is Miguel Tejada. Nomar? Pretty much finished. Ripken? Retired. ARod? Playing 3B. Renteria? Inconsistent. Larkin? Retired. Walt Weiss, Royce Clayton, Jeff Blauser? C'mon...

The other interesting stat is that Jeter has more hits than any other play since he came into the league in 1996 (coincidently, the Yankees have never missed the playoffs with Jeter on the roster).

Overrated? Certainly.

Invaluable? Absolutely!
  • Options
    Otwcards - well said and accurate IMHO.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

My apologies - I missed the part about it being a Sports Illustrated poll. I had assumed it was a New York Daily News poll, which is about as useless as the rest of their paper.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They also had a poll where they asked if you were starting a team what player would you choose.

Jeter was number 2 behind Arod.

I think jealousy was behind the 10% of peers that voted for Jeter as most over rated.

Arod was number 3 I think?

Anyone that believes in this poll needs to have there head examined.

So basically 90% of Major league baseball players feel Jeter IS NOT over rated.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Jerry hasn't posted to this forum in a year let him be it is his annual Jeter bash.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i> spending his Octobers playing the postseason in America's greatest sport. >>

well the first couple of days of October anyways.....
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Yes Jeter is having a year so far that could classify him as over rated, but look at his career #'s year by year and his career post season stats. I would also tend to think Jeter's leadership over the years has greatly helped his teams in the past. I really hope he finishes the year strong and I would love to see the Yanks going strong in Sept. Yes he might be over rated, but he will be a HOF which is more than 95% of his so called peers can say.

Sincerely, Brian (Dodgers Fan)

A Yankees Team Hater for Life
  • Options
    The person that created this thread needs a course in math and or stats. 10% of a vote is nothing.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i> The person that created this thread needs a course in math and or stats. 10% of a vote is nothing. >>

True.

Also, it's ok to be a homer for your team, but you still have to be fair and objective when making statements about players, even if it's about a guy who plays for a team that will always be bigger than your personal team.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    The results suggest the possibility that even MLB players are sick of all things Boston and New York.

And establish as absolute fact that Barry Zito is freakin' terrible.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The person that created this thread needs a course in math and or stats. 10% of a vote is nothing.

Steve >>

Well, considering no other player received that high a percentage, it is a significant number. Significant enough to warrant a story about it in Sports Illustrated - not my story, just reprinting the facts here in case anyone missed it.

It's my job to keep everyone updated on all Jeter-bashing that exists in the media, and I take it very seriously. image
  • Options

<< <i>It's my job to keep everyone updated on all Jeter-bashing that exists in the media, and I take it very seriously. >>

It's all good. I would have expected no less from a person living in Chowderville.
  • Options
    Of course, there was also this scientific study conducted at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, that points out (using a ton of actual stats and things Jeter fans hate) that Jeter is the worst fielding SS in MLB. Maybe these major league players know something after all.

Study

• Options
    lol so what? worst fielding MAJOR league SS. They have 40 (at most) guys playing that Pos. in the big leagues out of
    100 million males in the US ok so he is number 40 out of 100 million.

Being the worst starter in the big leagues means basically nothing.

Come on jerry you are better then this. Your bias is showing.

I bet you would have been one of the 10% that was jealous of him too.

He gets the most over rated votes by big leauge guys that are no name guys.

And fwiw I don't think his over rated votes had anything to do with his caliber of play.

This thread is stupid.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    the guy's earning more money than some thirld world countries, bagging the hottest babes in the country, and spending his Octobers playing the postseason in America's greatest sport.

And we wonder why some Joe blow 22nd man on the roster votes Jeter as over rated. lol

Steve
    Good for you.