Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cutting out Hostess cards.....expertise and advise needed

I just uncovered a good amount of Hostess cards that I have had for years. Many of them were already cut and the black dotted line has pretty much been trimmed away. I did find about 10 cards that were trimmed outside the black dotted line and look to be good cards to grade. The question is how close to the dotted line do I get to trim them down to a size that will be gradeable? Do I leave the black dotted line showing on the card or cut down the middle of the line? Is it even worth while to grade these cards anymore and is there a market for them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    There have been a bunch of threads on this topic over the last year that I've been a board member, but I'm still a little unclear on the best way to do it.
    I've got a few box bottoms, Hostess cards, and Kraft cards that I'd like to cut out but I'm still a little leary of the whole process.
    Someone needs to do a "how to" tutorial on this topic.

mccardguy1,

I'm looking for J.R. Richard, and Ted Simmons Hostess cards if you have any.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Ditto what David said, I have 5-7 panels I need to cut and they just sit on my desk until I figure out how to cut them.

I think I remember one person saying he received tens after cutting with his wife's scrapbokking tools. I could swing that.

Now I need to know where to cut along/outside the dotted lines.

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a high grade, the dotted/dashed line must be clearly/completely visible in its entirety.

Steve
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>If you want a high grade, the dotted/dashed line must be clearly/completely visible in its entirety.

Steve >>

Yep. I usually get 6 to 8s on my panels, but that's because I can't seem to cut straight even with a quality paper cutter. I think there just needs to be a little white on the outside edge of the dotted lines, but most importantly I think you need to make sure you get the corners sharp and you want to have a consistent amount of white space all the way around the dotted lines.

I also think that there is definitely a market for the high grade panels that feature players with active participants in the set registry . . . Mike Schmidt, Nolan Ryan, Pete Rose, etc.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a card that I cut myself.

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    i consider myself an expert on hand cut cards.....

i have submitted many hand cut cards and i know the secret....

...................................................................................................Grade/Pop/Higher
    0147860070 7 1986 DRAKES DON MATTINGLY HAND CUT 9 1 1
    0147870080 8 1987 DRAKES DON MATTINGLY HAND CUT 9 1 0
    0147880010 1 1988 DRAKES DON MATTINGLY HAND CUT 9 1 0

the secret is.....edit *

*My Buying Assistant told me to edit this, sorry
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>My Buying Assistant told me to edit this, sorry >>

Never listen to the buying assistant, he is just looking for a commission on another sale, refer to the Collection Manager. Mind you, he may try to bore you to death with a topic on different Upper Deck cardstock......but he knows the cards and collection best.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.