Home U.S. Coin Forum

Att. jefferson coll. plus new too forum

Do you think a 1997 P 5c sms ms70 FS from botanic garden pop78 pcgs would it be good investment coin heritage has one up for sale live ebay never bought coin this way 20% juice seem alot? thank you you all for info I have read here been lurking way to long. chris

Comments

• Welcome to the forums.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    who slabbed it? I have bought and sold many 70fs examples of that date, and made a good amount of money doing so.

if your a jefferson collector, you have great taste in coins, and welcome to the forum!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Welcome to the board.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's the better of the two SMS modern nickels,(mintage wise) off the top of my head I believe the mintage was 25k.

Last PCGS MS70FS I saw was sold for around $1,000, maybe a year ago.

Most of these have some sort of toning, the white examples are elusive.

You never mentioned a TPG, are you refering to PCGS?

Oh yeah welcome to CU!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hello skibum, and welcome!!
    -----

"20% juice seem alot?"
    -----

The juice is never a lot unless you don't take it
    into consideration when you are bidding.

As long as you figure out the most you are
    willing to pay, including the buyer's fee and
    shipping, and bid accordingly, you're always
    okay.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

<< <i>Yes it's the better of the two SMS modern nickels, off the top of my head I believe the mintage was 25k.

Last PCGS MS70FS I saw was sold for around $1,000, maybe a year ago.

Most of these have some sort of toning, the white examples are elusive.

You never mentioned a TPG, are you refering to PCGS?

Oh yeah welcome to CU! >>

Ive sold a few examples for more than 1k over the years. I still hold the 3rd example graded 70smsfs of the 94-p, and at one time
    that puppy was worth mega bucks, had a few board members try and pry it from my hands, which I avoided. Now the pops
    went up way too much and my prize piece shrunk, so to say image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    Just noticed your a ski bum, so am I, when I can afford it.

Three trips up to Okemo last winter, can't get enough powder.
    <<I still hold the 3rd example graded 70smsfs of the 94-p>>

Just peeked at the 94 SMS in 70FS, listed at $4500.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    image I've got one of them!image
    imageimage
    edited to add picsimage
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't help on the nickel, but I can say WELCOME friend!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think a 1997 P 5c sms ms70 FS from botanic garden pop78 pcgs would it be good investment coin heritage has one up for sale live ebay never bought coin this way 20% juice seem alot? thank you you all for info I have read here been lurking way to long. chris >>

Come on down, skibum!!! image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage I like the 1997 SMS Nickel will be a good buy if you get it at a good price only 25,000 minted. image

Hoard the keys.

<< <i>image I've got one of them!image
    imageimage
    edited to add picsimage >>

I dont like the new holders on these, the originals were marked SMSMS70FS, which they should have stuck with IMHO

edit to say: The ones I were familiar with and handeled where all green labels, I have one of each in the SDB, when I get a chance Ill look.

If I remember the ones I sold on here over the years and ebay I always had the title SMSMS70FS which was taken direct from the label, but eh Im getting old, could be wrong.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>I dont like the new holders on these, the originals were marked SMSMS70FS, which they should have stuck with IMHO

edit to say: The ones I were familiar with and handeled where all green labels, I have one of each in the SDB, when I get a chance Ill look.

If I remember the ones I sold on here over the years and ebay I always had the title SMSMS70FS which was taken direct from the label, but eh Im getting old, could be wrong. >>

I'm not much into the holders, but the coin is awesome!image Seldomly found without reverse toning.image
  • Welcome fellow Jefferson collector!

I like that date and look. The matte finish is attractive IMO. I prefer a bit of reverse toning which seems common for those coins left in the original mint packaging for a while.
    Chris (skibum), Did you pick it up? It hammered at $920 incl. BP.
  • No I was in for about 800 with juice . to rich for my blood .I'm not realy a jefferson coll. anyway. hard to under stand if this would be a good investment anyway. looks like the price has come down some. did you like the toning ? hard to tell form the picture.plus had a new roof on put on my house this week.

<< <i>No I was in for about 800 with juice . to rich for my blood .I'm not realy a jefferson coll. anyway. hard to under stand if this would be a good investment anyway. looks like the price has come down some. did you like the toning ? hard to tell form the picture.plus had a new roof on put on my house this week. >>

Heritage has the best, IMO, coin imaging features. Did you just see it on eBay? If so, I suggest & you might consider signing up with Heritage directly. I'm pretty sure it'll save you some $$$ if you bid directly with them & leave eBay out of it.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest a Pcgs graded one in Ms-69FS for around $300
    Trade $'s
  • No because there are at least 5000 more that have not been graded yet.
  • veiwed it on ha.com but counldn't really see toning. plus didn't know if toning is good on modern stuff like this. juice is 20% ebay verse 15% directly with ha. i have alot to learn. wanted 70 verses 69 because of pop are so much smaller . didn't know about the pedigie?
    Chris, Something about the packaging that caused the toning, particularly on the reverse. It's happened often & with different series as well. Alot of folks like the toning, myself included. Alot of folks like them tone free, myself included. These particular nickels are seldomly found without it. Most importantly, IMO, is the 25,000 mintage of the coin. For me, living in a town of 37,000 keeps that in perspective. Keep playing with ha.com's photo viewer! It's awesome & you'll be able to zoom in to at least 5X I'd say...prolly more. It takes a few clicks and perhaps a click & a wait a few times, but very cool! Oh...and turn your PM on.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file