Home Stamps Forum
Options

This cover is trying to tell a story ....

Can we help it along by deciphering its clues?

Let’s start with the obvious. The letter was mailed from New York on March 4, 1941, ten months before the US was drawn into World War 2. The letter got waylaid along its journey in the mails. Based on the last dated marking, it did not reach its final destination until September 1942, a full year and a half from its start.

Comments

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

TTT

• Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    WWII is a fun topic that can be collected on the cheap. The cover below (worth less than $50) was delayed FIVE YEARS.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Another example of how the war affected the mail system.

• Options

<< <i>Another example of how the war affected the mail system. >>

Cool!image
  • Options
    nice cover.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Thank you Richard but it definitely pales in comparison to some of the wonderful postal history items you have posted. It was very enjoyable researching the story behind the cover.

As for the cover posted by LickThoseStamps, I have to believe that the movement of the German forces had something to do with the delay. It appears that the addressee may have left Portugal and came to the United States to avoid possible occupation by the Germans. Maybe the persons whereabouts was uncertain for a large period of the delay. Just my thoughts
  • Options

<< <i>As for the cover posted by LickThoseStamps, I have to believe that the movement of the German forces had something to do with the delay. It appears that the addressee may have left Portugal and came to the United States to avoid possible occupation by the Germans. Maybe the persons whereabouts was uncertain for a large period of the delay. Just my thoughts >>

My cover appears to have been returned to the sender. I base this on the return address being struck out with pencil and a new address added below it.

From what I have learned, "Wagons Lit Cook" appears to have been a travel agency. I believe that Portugal was neutral at the time that the letter was sent. Perhaps Wagons Lit Cook held mail that could not be forwarded due to the war and at some point returned it to the sender.

I continue to search for information on some of the other markings that may provide further clues.image
  • Options
    Speaking of German material ... the cover below was carried by the Thurn und Taxis postal system, one of the earliest real mail systems in the world. image
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    My first thought was that it was a return to sender envelope until I studied the back of the cover. If you will notice the pencil markings were written just before the pen markings by wagons lit cook. I am thinking they were provided the new address in Los Angeles, made their endorsements and sent it on its way. The envelope does not appear to have been censored when it left the US but was clearly censored when it returned to the US, accounting for some of the delay.

It is still an interesting cover and the truth may never be known.

Rolin
  • Options

<< <i>My first thought was that it was a return to sender envelope until I studied the back of the cover. If you will notice the pencil markings were written just before the pen markings by wagons lit cook. I am thinking they were provided the new address in Los Angeles, made their endorsements and sent it on its way. The envelope does not appear to have been censored when it left the US but was clearly censored when it returned to the US, accounting for some of the delay.

It is still an interesting cover and the truth may never be known.

Rolin >>

I thought of that as well. However, there is also a pencil date on the reverse 16 April 1942 (16/4/42). So it appears that the letter went missing for over a year, before it started its journey back.