Home Stamps Forum
Options

How to tell the Ben's apart!

Hi folks,

I recently aquired a 1 cent Benjamin Franklin stamp from the late 1800's, and I can't determine if it's a #167 or a #182 since both are ultramarine and fading may or may not have occured. I think the perforation might be the key, but I'd need someone to verify that.

Does anyone know of a sure fire way to tell the two apart besides colour?

Comments

• Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    One sure way - forget #167 even exists because you don't have one if it's used as I suspect you example is.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

<< <i>One sure way - forget #167 even exists because you don't have one if it's used as I suspect you example is. >>

Now why would you assume that?

Actually, it's not used, no marks and has gum. It's old of course, which is why I don't trust my eye when determining the difference between "ultramarine" and "deep ultramarine" since it may be faded.

Thanks for the interest, I guess the next step is the library.
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Well, still a waste of time ... #167 was issued without. There are many ways to tell, impression, paper and shade. It is a rare stamp which is why, unless you bought it from auction as a #167, or somebody did in the past, it isn't going to be a #167.

First rule of stamp collecting that is often missed by new collectors - assume that what you have is the most common variety unless you have compelling evidence to the contrary.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Good advice to follow.