Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I feel I must concede this years honor to Larry......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was saving up (12-15 coins) to load all at once to try and sneak pass Larry at the end of the month to get the 2008 honor.

Well, he KEEPS adding coins faster than I can buy and "what if" to see where I stand.

Well, I stand before you Larry and bow(sp) to the king.image You are the man!

This set Larry is building (Complete Dimes) is truely a monster set. His 16-D is a 66FB image And most of the early coins are UNC.

Again congratulations Larry you have a really really tremendous set going there. I will NEVER see 1st place again...and that's OK. My goal is just to complete the set in what ever grade I can afford. So far there are only two people who have accomplished this feat. Louis Elisberg(sp) and Alan Lovejoy. I have a copy of the catalog from the Lovejoy auction and boy did he have a beautiful dime set! I feel honored to have one of Alan's dimes in my set. The complete dime set group is even smaller than the 600 homerun club that JR. just joined.

Again, GREAT set of dimes you have.!imageimage

Jon

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread Dimeman! You have a great set of Dimes yourself.

I would like to see BOTH of your sets complete as #1. That would be very awesome indeed.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dimeman: I do not envy your task! It is simply an awesome challenge. I am just satisfied in just trying to complete my dime type set which isn't so easy either when linked to also completing a dime pattern type set.

Heck, if you ever decide to get a humongous 1916-D dime in MS-67FB you know who to call!

But just keep in mind that it is in an older NGC holder.

Last but not least, Alan Lovejoy was indeed another awesome dime collector! He was so cool! Likewise, I only have one of his coins, the 1834
    dime in PCGS MS-67 (old green insert).

I wish you all the success in the world!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Likewise, I only have one of his coins, the 1834
    dime in PCGS MS-67 (old green insert). >>

image That must be some coin!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I have seen a pic of that bust dime in 67 it's blurry,but looks oh soooooooooooo sweet. That would really good in my type set.imageimage
  • Options
    Both sets are fantastic! But as far as the PCGS awards go this year, I believe you must now be 85% complete to get a banner and certificate. A very tough task when it comes to the compete denomination sets. He is going to have to add a lot of dimes in the next few weeks to achieve that. I think both sets are deserving of an award.
  • Options
    Thanks sonoranmonsoon, you have a nice and tuff set of dollars going there.image I wish I had the funds to complete my dimes and then start halves. There are some neat coins in that set as well.
  • Options
    If I were to work on another complete denomination set, it would be the halves also ( love the Walking Liberties). I do not think I will, I want to try to get the dollars a little more complete, then work on slowly upgrading. Between my Dollar collection and my Card collection, I am spread out pretty thin......but one never knows what the collecting bug will do to me in a few years!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I've been waiting for you to add several coins to this set Dimeman.

I love the additions and the upgrade and I hope to see continued additions down the road.

P.S. I agree that Larry's set is really nice too!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Killer set indeed, kudos big time!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Jon,
    Thanks for the good words on my set.
    Your set is a great set too. Especially the hard to find early seated dimes.
    I wont get 85% this year, only have a couple in for grading.
    Its a very challenging and fun set.
    Larry
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    In addition, in each category the collector with the finest set with at a least 85% completion, will receive a certificate of recognition as well as a "Best of the Registry" icon by his or her set listing in the registry.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Jon if this were drag racing, people would still be talking about the hole shot you pulled on everyone.
    But alas, the guys with the big horse power will always run you down.
    With the resources you had, you did great, good job...

As for me, I'm off to Fla. for a few days, then back here to get over the sun burn I'm sure to have.
    Then a few family members have invited me up to Dahlonega to dredge and pan for gold.
    Dan
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    You guys both sux. imageimage

So does SC, A.R.S., JSO4, & azm!!