Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Anyone ever get 1952 Coke Tips graded?

I have a set of these I won from Mastro a few years ago, pulled them out recently and thought I might get them graded - but jeez, with all those angles and that funky die-cut, it sure makes for a lot of grading per card!

They must be tough on'em, I see that only one set is listed, which is strange; oversized color set from baseball's Golden Age containing only New York teams and just one set?

I made an impulse purchase as the auction closed and don't really know much about them. So anyways ~ Marty - do you have any light to shed? or anyone else?

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Scottie-
    I've got a set (most from Marty) and briefly considered getting them graded, but the prospect of getting hammered by technical grades and the thought of them floating around in mylar baggies made the decision to keep them raw easy.
    Your set is really nice, I saw it before it was bought by Bill Mastro, and was listed twice. You got a great deal on a really nice set, but I wonder if it would be worth grading them. Not sure it would add any value or protection.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I have a Bobby Thomson that was graded PSA 5. The card looks good in the holder, and the mylar keeps the card from sliding around.
  • Good point Griffins.

Thanks for your input too PSASAP.

The main reason I thought I might get them graded was I think I really have a good shot at having the number one set.

Looks like a $150.00 gamble.

While it is a very unforgiving set, you're right A~ this set is sweet. I think I'll do it.
  • Well, the gamble was worth it, but it looks like I'm .85 away from numero uno.

And yeah, with 11 corners on each card, getting anything above a 5 is a miracle!
    Goodwin has some upgrades for you in his current auction that should put you over the top.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Any chance someone could post a scan of one of these cards? I looked at the sets that were linked and didnt see any pics. I cant recall ever seeing one of these cards before.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
    imageimageimage

imageimageimageimage

imageimageimage

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the scans... those are actually pretty cool cards! I assume these are scarce and expensive?? Or can a set be put together without breaking the bank?
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
    A set did cost about $1200. but they are probably down from that now. There was a "find" of these a few years ago.
    In addition to the set pictured above, there were 2 test cards, Mays and Rizzuto. Those are considerably tougher and more expensive.