Home Sports Talk
Options

$250 million lawsuit filed against NASCAR charging racism and sexism

Does not come as a huge surprise, all of those Confederate flags seen at NASCAR events are kind of a tip off about how many of them
view the world.

In a blistering $250 million lawsuit charging a pattern of racial and sexual harassment, a black former NASCAR official claims she was fired last year after complaining about "virulently racist harassment, a racially hostile work environment and insidious and pervasive race discrimination reflective of a former, uglier era in our nation's history."

Mauricia Grant was employed as a "technical inspector" on NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until she was fired last October. Grant alleges she was called a series of degrading names--such as "Nappy Headed Mo," "Queen Sheba," and "Simpleton"--and subjected to racist stereotypes and humiliation. Grant says she was accused of being a lesbian after ignoring the advances from co-workers and that NASCAR employees routinely use anti-gay language.

Grant was NASCAR's only black female official when she was hired in January 2005. She earned about $30,000 and "traveled to tracks nationwide [and ] was responsible for examining racecars to ensure their compliance with NASCAR rules." The 40-page lawsuit was filed today in U.S. District Court in New York. It is excerpted at The Smoking Gun and the charges are graphic and despicable. For more than 20 pages, the lawsuit details allegedly obscene e-mails, text messages, and racist and sexist comments directed at her. In one claim, Grant says she was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn't sunburn because she was black. In another instance, "while riding in the backseat of her carpool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. 'I don't want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car,' she claims one official said."

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston says the organization had not yet reviewed the suit and has a "zero tolerance policy for harassment", and, will address Grant's claims in its response to her lawsuit.

Comments

• Options
    $250 mil cuz she was called a few names? I'm more than happy to let anyone call me whatever they want for...oh, I don't know, let's say fifty bucks.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, except for announcer Brad Doherty, NASCAR is not terribly diverse.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    NASCAR should enter the 21st century.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain segments of society in the USA are simply not willing to ignore skin color, gender, etc. Since politicians, media, government and other forces in society place great emphasis on "equality", lawsuits such as the one mentioned in the OP are used to force change. Inevitably change will happen, for good or ill.

The concept of "equality" is slippery however. Having a free market capitalist society that has "Equal Opportunity" is a laudable goal.

However, many institutions and individuals who complain the loudest, do not give a whit about Equal Opportunity. They prefer to have everyone in society, regardless of whether you are intelligent, hard working and driven to succeed or are a slug who lives only to watch and appear on Jerry Springer (except themselves, since they are better than everyone else, thus special and thus deserving of more) to have Equality Of Result. These institutions and individuals would no doubt favor and tout a constitutional amendment that provides that everyone living in the USA (or on planet earth for that matter) has a right, under the US Constitution to have a gauranteed income of $150,000.00 (no more, no less) per year [even if they choose to work part time at McDonalds or even if they are Bill Gates], a free luxury car every two years, a free new 3,000 square foot house every five years, a free Harvard degree for their children [without the kids actually having to attend class if they do not want to], and free computers, IPODs, Plasma TVs, XBoxs, and two week Hawaiian vacations every summer for each member of the family. Sounds "fair" don't you think?

I think something like the above (equality of result or outcome for all, except those who are in charge) has been tried before and it just did not work out (i.e. the USSR).
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Duke Lacrosse
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>Duke Lacrosse >>

I raise you a Kobe Bryant.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

<< <i>Duke Lacrosse >>

I raise you a Kobe Bryant. >>

Possibly, but read the original court filing on the Smoking Gun, there is so much detail as to people, time and place that if they
    wanted to pull off a scam going to such a big amount of detail would seem to work against them.
  • Options
    Why was she fired?