Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909VDB MPL AT AUCTION IN SUMMER FUN

Well, we are now less than three weeks away from the next 1909VDB MPL going up to auction. Here's a direct link to the Heritage auction on June 26th. Link

We NOW have 9 bidders so far. RESERVE MET @ 34K! It's the NGC PR66RB version. With 10 Set Registries in the PCGS Set Registry MPL collections needing JUST this coin to complete their sets, I wish all of them good luck if they are going after this coin and a subsequent crossover.

Anyone want to guess at the final price with the juice? It should be fun at FUN. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'll stab at $57k
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there if anyone want's representation/opinions.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, I think that it'll be around $70,000 including the juice.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait!

Heck with JHF's Roosie Dime auction, I'm sure saving my $$$ for this one! imageimage

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    How do you represent people?
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ............image Now they will lend you 75% of your coins values as a loan, eh?

sure love that VDB

image No No Take the cocaine Awayimage
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Yay! I'm the high bidder.

C'mon guys. Stop bidding and I'll donate 10k to the Red Cross. image
  • Options
    shoot rb donate to my "big bang of 08 giveaway" and i won't bid...honestly i won't...of course it's an outta my league coin...

i still say being it's in ngc plastic we are not going to see the huge prices pcgs 09 vdb mattys command so i'm sticking with a final hammer around 57k

help a brother out too with my "july 4th big bang of 08 giveaway"---it's my lil cut a kid loose in a candy store with money to see what they buy giveaway-maybe my matty friends will come through too and rock that giveaway
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I predict it will sell for about 35-40k if no reserve or not meet reserve (if there is one - as the owner might've gotten overambitious for NGC plastic).
  • Options
    GD**** could you feel the anger you could feel if you'd wrap this up and send it to the home team for some new plastic...

And

It would come back

in

a little bag

Questionable Color
  • Options
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I know one of the Senior Numismatists at Heritage and always ask him for his assessment on any coins I would entertain submitting a bid. In order to protect his confidentiality, I am leaving off his name, but he did give permission to post his analysis of the coin below:

“Here is my evaluation.

Obverse-Pleasing blend of color-no noticeable carbon. (Old)Scratch in field in front of face and between chin and first 9. Speck removed? in front of chin and smaller one by lower lip.

Reverse-Color a little more splotchy. Scattered Carbon specks (some may be active).

To me the color is a little suspect”.

Jonathan
  • Options

To me the color is a little suspect

I haven't seen the coin in hand, but as soon as I looked at the image, I thought the same thing.

Of course, I'm no Lincoln expert.image

Jack

• Options
    I thought the same thing about the color as well. Thus my 25k max bid.
  • Options
    I think the color is correct. Ive several 09 mattes and that color fits in with what Ive seen in the way of natural tones.

These coins dont follow the usual color/tonality you come to anticipate with BS coins.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I will be away for a week and may not be able to monitor the bidding. Feel free to update this thread with new information. Thanks, Steveimage
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if screams suspect is an oxymoron but it applies with this coin if you can judge it by the photo. I however doubt that it will affect the price much as the coin is currently in vogue. If I had to guess price I would say 38-45K but I wouldn't pay the for it. Of course given the current demand it could go much higher. How is that for equivocating?
  • Options
    No changes for the week I've been away. NO reserve & no bidding in the last week. One week to go. Steveimage
  • Options
    Here we go with the final THREE days to the auction and NO new bids for almost two weeks! Will this 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent in NGC PR66RB be gotten for only $30K? Could be, but then again, maybe one of the eight bidders who is now an underbidder will push it up by Thursday afternoon. A certain risk is in play via crossover to PCGS with a $45k retail price listed, BUT, let's face it, there just isn't that many of these coins AVAILABLE and the opportunities to get one are VERY limited. I'm hoping that the winner here is one of our regular MPL posters. One thing I am VERY sure of is that the value of this coin will NOT go down in the future. It is just a matter of supply and demand. Good luck everyone who is in the hunt. Steveimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, depending on how the surfaces look in hand, I would bid it as 64BN or 65BN. You have to assume that crossover has been attempted several times and the consignor feels that this is the plastic that would bring the most money.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug and others:
    Thanks for your comment which I can fully understand about THIS coin. I think that those who can afford top population versions of this issue can and will be very careful before plopping down considerable money for this or any Lincoln cent. For those of us who can only admire these top grade 1909VDB MPL's and who only WISH we can afford one IN ANY CONDITION, the mind set may be different. As I've related before, I spent over eight years searching for a 09VDB that I could reasonably afford. The one I won at auction has a carbon spot over Lincoln's head. I would have normally NEVER purchased such a coin, BUT, I knew of its rarity and therefore I went after it. I have NEVER regretted that decision. I am fortunate that in the six years now that I've owned the coin the spot has not spread. The pleasure I get from ownership far exceeds any distraction that spot might seem to have. Because of my experience, I think that many other MPL collectors here might feel the same way about collecting a 1909VDB. I also believe that PCGS recognized the rarity of my coin when they agreed to grade it even with the carbon spot. I know they would not do so for most other copper coins. Today, acquiring a 09VDB graded by PCGS or NGC in the lower grades is almost next to impossible. I think, within the affordability of many of us MPL collectors, we would spend to our limit to get an example of this issue in ANY condition that was made available. JMHO. Steve image
  • Options
    Seems like the coin has NOT met the reserve now listed as $29,500 plus the 15% or a total of $33,925. Internet bidding ends Wednesday evening and the coin will be auctioned Thursday afternoon. Interesting since the reserve was SUPPOSED to be posted last Thursday. I guess we will all find out what happens in three days. Steveimage
  • Options
    Those distracting spots have a way of 'fading' in the owners eyes after awhile. Ive got a 13 64RD with a spot on the fields ...but the sheer power of the strike and detail that surpasses any other Lincoln Ive got has a way of 'making me not look at the spot'

I think the new "Authentic" slabbing may bring some of the VDB matties out of hiding soon. Even with a basal registry value of 1 Im sure some will be added to existing matte registry sets.

That may be the key to getting one of these at lower prices.
  • Options

<< <i>

I think the new "Authentic" slabbing may bring some of the VDB matties out of hiding soon. Even with a basal registry value of 1 Im sure some will be added to existing matte registry sets.

>>

That would be interesting if it happens. It may very well be true about all the other MPL's.

As for the 09VDB I just don't believe many more will surface. In fact, of the 167 or so currently slabbed by PCGS, NGC & ANACS I think at least 50 are of the same coin (caused by crackouts and crossovers). Mine, in fact is a crossover from ANACS and I still have the ANACS label. So, my long held believe that maybe 200 still exist is slowly sinking down to maybe 150?
    Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

That would be interesting if it happens. It may very well be true about all the other MPL's.

As for the 09VDB I just don't believe many more will surface. In fact, of the 167 or so currently slabbed by PCGS, NGC & ANACS I think at least 50 are of the same coin (caused by crackouts and crossovers). Mine, in fact is a crossover from ANACS and I still have the ANACS label. So, my long held believe that maybe 200 still exist is slowly sinking down to maybe 150?
    Steveimage >>

I agree with Steve there brothers. I ain't sayin' there ain't no raw VDBs out there to be found but there's not enough of 'em to slake the demand in any way.
  • Options
    With less than 4 hours to go in the internet bidding, a 9th bidder met the reserve of $34k on this coin. It will be interesting what further action takes place tonight or on the floor tomorrow afternoon. In any case this coin WILL sell and good luck again to anyone of our posters who is going for it. Steveimage
  • Options

$55,000 not including the juice! ( $63,250 )
  • Options
    $63,250...strong as ever and congrats to the new owner whoever you are

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $63,250...strong as ever and congrats to the new owner whoever you are

RLH

Edited: sorry for sounding cryptic, I thought everyone would pick it up. RLH = Bobby Hughes
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes that 66red that sold for $75,000 seem cheap!!
    Doug
  • Options
    WOW! The 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent in a NGC holder graded PR66RB sold for $63,250. From other comments on this thread it seems like many of the MPL people feel that PCGS would NOT give it a PR66 grade based on its appearance. So... if the current PCGS price guide says a PR66RB is worth $45,000 and THIS coin sold for $63,000 is it not reasonable to expect the values for 1909VDB MPL's to go up again after this auction? Let's face it, this is a very "rare" coin in ANY grade and people will continue to bid it up into the future. We are in a real recession but THIS coin seems to be recession proof. Congratulations to whoever won this coin. I doubt very much you will ever LOSE money on it when you sell it. Steveimage
  • Options
    ya know there's even a strong market for the new service level of "genuine" as it can be included in set registry to complete the set.

all that said i bet strong money will be seen for nice looking "genuine" holder ones too