Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

i was offered $300 for a box of pete rose

ok, before you guys rip my head off. i went to the card shop the other day with all of my pete rose doubles,triples and so on.... these are all 8,9,10's. the guy looked at a few of them and offered $300 right off the bat... there were a few graded bccg 10's like a 83 topps #397,86 sportflics #60,84 fleer #636 and 2 9's of 87 fleer #213.now this is a double row box, this is a row and a half.. and there is just about every card from the 70's up. and atleast doubles of all. ok so since this card shop guy was more than willing to pay $300 do you guys think i could just list the whole box on ebay and start it out at $250 or take the $300 and run. im asking your opionions.. shoot away. don

Comments

• cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i dont know much about the modern stuff, but i would suggest you look at past sales of these cards on ebay. alot of times, store fronts offer lower amounts because they werent looking for the specific cards you were selling. if you break up the lot, customers on ebay will be looking for specific cards, therefore you will get what the market deems them to be worth. could be more or could be less. do some research and you should be able to figure out your best move. maybe you will end up selling the better ones individually then package the rest together. but if you do this, i wouldnt suggest taking the remaining package deal to the store front dealer. he may be insulted, since the best stuff is gone. take nice pics to get a better response to your online sale. it also depends how quickly you need the money. if you need it real fast and there isnt much difference than splitting it up, then maybe the $300 is good in your situation. normally breakup value is higher than value of the whole.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not sure exactly what you had or the total amount of cards but 300.00 sounds good.

Also that may have been his offer for that day, you go back tomorrow and he may not even want them.

Steve

Good for you.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I would throw them on EBAY.

Auction with a high-start and a VERY high-BIN.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    If you don't sell them and have a 74,75,76,or 77 I may be interested
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Was is $300 for 800 cards, or $300 for 100 cards, or $300 for 50 cards???

Big difference.

In any case you got an offer from one guy in one town who will try to resell for a profit, on eBay you will get potential offers from thousands of guys from the whole world. So you can kinda figure out what the best rout might be to sell.
  • Why you're going to a card shop dealer -vs- Ebay is beyond me. If he offered you $300 then you'd clearly make out better by individually listing them on Ebay. Just my .02
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • the guy is a old friend and he just opened his store and he has a table at the flee market down the road and they can't keep pete on the table.. i was thinking of going down with a table for $10 and just blowing them out.. yeah he just looked at a few of the cards.. i really do not need to sell them, more or less if i sell them for $00 or more thats 2 more 8's for my collection. i will have a list up and some pictures here in a bit trying to put them in order right now. don
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Based on the few that you listed, they are all around $3-$7 cards. Assuming that the average value is $5/card you would need to have around 80 total cards in the box in order to get $300 (after ebay and paypal fees). If you have more than 100 cards, I would sell individually on ebay. If you have less than 100, it is not worth the trouble.
  • ok i have 72 different raw cards(doubles and so fourth there are 290) there are 2 psa graded cards 1986 woolworth #29 nm-mt 8 and a 1974 topps a/s #336 mint 9 (oc)
    then i have bccg graded cards (4)
    1983 topps #397 10 mint
    1984 fleer #636 10 mint
    (2) 1987 fleer #213 9 mint
  • Take the $300 and hit the local Asian Massage joint.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the raw cards are multiples from the 60s and early 70s, I would take the $300.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would put the breakup value of the lot roughly around $130. Do what you will with that information. My original response was under the assumption that all the cards were graded.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    $300 sounds more then fair. Perhaps $300 - 2 hot dogs and a drink. Little more fair.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • here are a few pics..

image[IMG]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn7/bentvalve1/100_1337.jpg">

im still not the best at posting pics..
    . these are all 8,9,10's.

Why do we always get one story then another?

Even after reading that part of it earlier I knew not
    to think all were graded.

Half a story now half a story later.

I'd have taken the 3 bills.

Steve

Good for you.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭
    take the money & run...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    Steve Miller baby
    Nice looking Rose collection.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • i think alot of these cards will grade well.. i do not have them best on top. some of them probably will not. what i think i wanted to get across is these are the cards that i have psa graded cards in 8's,9's and 10's. ( these are all duplicates of my graded cards) sorry for confusion. don
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>i think alot of these cards will grade well.. i do not have them best on top. some of them probably will not. what i think i wanted to get across is these are the cards that i have psa graded cards in 8's,9's and 10's. ( these are all duplicates of my graded cards) sorry for confusion. don >>

Ungraded they are mostly $1 cards...or at least that is what I would want at a table. Rose is highly collected, you have a nice lot, I see lots of cool cards I remember....but I see mostly $1 cards. I would not give a premium for the graded due to grades and grader.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • thank you.. i think it would be a good start for someone that wanted a pete collection.
    my graded master pete set is #11 and moving up! i have done alot of buying in less than a year. i have 30 more out for grading now. when i recieve the triple game used hat from sportkings and the #2 tristar signa cut card(better than the #1 card) i will be sending those in to get graded. and that will be all of the newer cards i need. i need to focus on the 1st 12 years of his career. don
    I will say 20+ years ago I would have pooped my pants, broke open my piggy bank and given you $300.00 for them. Nice Pete stuff, especially for your dupes.
  • yeah i think that the bbcg cards are probably 7-8 ish. but i have 1 sportflic not shown that will grade a psa 10. so it sounds like i would be better off to sell the box for $300. cause i would probably get hose on ebay. thanks for all of the input.. don
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Beg for the $300 from the dealer. Nice cards, but nothing rare or extremely valuable. I could see a dealer placing these in his 0.50 or $1.00 box at a show.
  • these are the next being sent in for grading. there is another sportking triple used hat, and the #2 tristar signa cuts.oh year 69 pete topps stamp..
  • $300 is too cheap, ask for $400
  • $300 is more than they are worth. Take the money and RUN!

.02 cents
  • baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    I'm with the Steve Miller fans on the board.
    Take the money and run
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Many are subset cards, sellable for about a buck each. $300 more than fair offer.

Rofl at the "cut" auto from 85 Fleer
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    Ebay $400 o.b.o
  • I do not even see $50 in value by ebay standards.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    take the $300 and buy a few cheap Rose lots and flip them to him for 10X what you paid.
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I agree with most... $300 is a very fair offer for the Rose's - I would have taken the money and filled out your Rose Master Set!
  • neenishneenish Posts: 559
    I would take the money. Is the '69 Rose the only Rose you have from the '60s? It looks to have soft corners, as does the '75(also o/c).
  • yeah i saved all of the expensive cards for last..lol..yeah i have several graded 69's like the deckle edge,globe imports,mlb photostamps, the all star. and that is as far back as my collection goes. i think last night i bought a 68 psa 8 or 9, do not remember. so far i have 77 graded in my master set.. i think i have done pretty good considering i had to start my collection over from the beginning (cause i wanted all of my cards graded.. im always looking for good deals.. i need 63,63,65,66,67,68. and im trying to complete it with 8,9's, and 10's.. don
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I was offered 300 to BOX Pete Rose, do I win?
  • ummmmm... not sure do you???
  • take the money and run
  • im going to.. im sure he will sell every card in this box for atleast $2 -$3, becasue he can not keep pete in his shop. people are coming in(not even looking for graded or graded. if he does it that way he can make close to $500.. im sure he knows something i do not.. but $300 is fair..no shipping no fees.. and i can buy 2more cards for $150 each or one. don
  • Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas ...
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Take the $300.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.