Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I hate Kennedy Half Dollars.

Actually, I love them, but I hate trying to buy them. I collect all US mint state coins 1965-date (someday I hope 1934-date or even 1900-date) and all 5 other denominations I have like 50% or more of the set (1965-1998) completed. Kennedys I have like 3. This is getting ridiculous. Richard Green and some others keep privately selling their collections (for what I hear, at way too low prices) and I keep missing out, and finally a collection is up for public auction... and I waaay overbid, and still get outbid! I bid $2400 for an ms67 84-d and didn't get it. I didn't even bother trying for the 66-p or 74-p at $6600 and $2800. This stinks! What the heck do I have to do to get a low pop Kennedy Half!!! image

What do you think of this 66-p? I also didn't want to deal with the whole is it really a business strike issue.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO it looks like a Business Strike Coin.

GrandAm image

P.S. I got one of the Low POP Kennedy's at a Very Good Price imageimage
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Jaime,

I am going to have to agree with you on this one. I dont collect them anymore but holly cow, what a collection of moderns.
    Looking at the prices realized, someone ponyed up some mucho cash for some low pop Kennedy's.
    A year ago, some of those coins were alot less. This is what happens when you dont see these up for auction in a long time.

MOON MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Did you get any of them? I am sure Twincam got his share.
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Jaime:

Not wishing to attract bad karma my way, but I don't think PCGS would grade the 1966 50c MS-67 today.
    I do agree it is a business strike coin.
  • Options
    Yeah, I got 78-p and 84-p. I guess that's a good consolation so I shouldn't be too sad, but I really wanted at least one of the pop 12 or less coins, of which the 84-d seemed the nicest.

By the way, the Kennedy market is so polarized! Most anything with a pop of less than 30 seems to go for moon money, yet the semi-hard coins from 85-date with a pop of like 50 are going begging. A pop 54 (i think) ms67 88-p sold for $80 on ebay last week! I'm still kicking myself for not bidding on it. It used to be like a $400 coin.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop top MS Kennedys are near impossible to make and have been for some time. I would not be surprised to continue to see prices rise sharply on lower pop coins. The MS Clad era is about to explode on the scene. Stay tuned. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I walked into a Speedway yesterday and as I was paying I spotted two silver kennedys on the counter. I told the clerk that if he didn't want them I would take them. He said thanks, he didn't have any place in the till to put them.

Two 1964s. I grabbed them up like they were the last donut in the box! image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That OP price on the 74's...........Ive got a OB roll of them....makes me want to open it up and take a look....
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1984-D, 1990-D, 1991-D.image
    Blown out of the water on all of them.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If "IF" I bust open my OBW roll of 74P kennedys,.........exactly what am I looking for?

What defines ms66 and ms67 with these cladsters?

I just think of clad as "change" and I confess Im not up on what makes a good one and what makes a fifty center.
  • Options
    I am glad to see some action on the Kennedy halves. Although I am not in the half market anymore, I still like keeping up with those of you that are. Good luck.
  • Options
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    You can not buy them, because Russ is secretly hoarding them. LOL