Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

MPL Collectors Please Read...

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
In addition to collecting coins....Ive collected a few choice domain names. www.matteprooflincoln.com and www.matteproof.com. Right now, the one is just a link to my registry set and the other is 'parked'.

Now, Im good at what I do, but building web sites is not one of the things "I do". And yes, it must seem like sometimes we hijack this registry forum, and talk about out little slice of heaven. It must seem like a real drag to the seated liberty fans and the sac fans....and I for one cant blame them. Also, there is a LOT more information out there we could all share, but really to keep posting here is probably the wrong thing in some ways. Yes, it does drive interest in these wonderful little coins, but also must make some people wish these things never existed. I keep looking behind my back for some dime fan to sneak up behind me, knock my MPL hat off and bean me with a baseball bat.

We *COULD* develop one of my domains into a real nice site that would be benefical to all of us, as an alternative to this forum. Im not saying to abandon this forum, since PCGS is in many ways our Godfather, and we need to pay homage to them for all the good they have done for us over the years. Without PCGS, I dont know if Mattes would enjoy the degree of popularity they have today.

What I envision is a site with a forum, much like this one we enjoy here, but with the freedom to post as much as we wanted, share pictures, moan and groan about how we cant find a vdb etc etc. We could even develop our own Chat room, and have a weekly get together. It would be a great site to post a photobank of all known MPL's, and even to invite our brothers from NGC to join in the fun. We could use it as a reference library, and post threads that detail the diagnostics as we know them, and keep running totals of populations and upgrades as they change. As part of the photobank, certain features unique to each coin could be registered and noted...and the coins would retain their identity no matter if they were upgraded or crossed. Since we can only act as a caretaker of any antique, the provenance of these coins could be recorded for future owners.

We could develop our own Registry, much like the one here with the home team, but allow our brothers from NGC and ANACS to particpate also. It would also be a way to add the numerous RAW coins that exist into a databank, providing of course that they have met the diagnostics. Many cleaned, or otherwise BB'd mattes float out there in the unwanted netherworld of 2X2's just because 'ol joe' the grader didnt like their color.....but, they are STILL matte proof lincolns and deserve to be recognized as such. Having an independant registry would allow their recognition and give us a far more accurate view of the survival of the coins.

As a classified advertising site it could be a great way for us to sell and trade with the knowledge that we are among friends who share a common interest. We could hold auctions and make available select coins within our little community. We could also establish a much more "real world" price guide, that would also take into account the sales that occur on ebay (the wave of the future in collecting).

But, like I said at the beginning.....Im not the guy to develop that site. I own the domains...and would be very willing to share ideas with others and see if we can get the ball rolling. Talk is cheap, typing is easy but actually putting the thing together and keeping it an active going concern takes some doing.

Thoughts???????????????????????????????????

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a great idea. I can't help with the building of the web site, but I can surely help furnish pictures for the data base.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Not me brothers, I like it right here. Good grief, why should we feel bad talking MPLs with all the e-bay chat, questions about what would you collect if the world would end and a countless myriad of other topics.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would not leave here but it would be nice to do that. I had a big web site for years although i know nothing about the inner workings. To have any success the builder and up keeper of the site would have to be a mpl nut. I say that in a good way. I would be more than willing to send a few dollars that way to get the ball running BUT i DO DESIRE A MPL HAT. Brian Wagner would be the ideal person to do this if he can and would be willing. I know when my site was up and running i had to buy servers and all sorts of software but the guy that did all the work did it for a minimal charge. If i had paid commerical rates it would have been in excess of 10k a year to run and operate. I would think that it would be a big hassle for a small number but everything good always takes work. Grasshopper can do the disclaimers pro bonoimage

I would like to see 100 MPL collectors at the 1st annual convention dressed in lesiure suits and MPL hats.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    Grasshopper is on board. But wth a few thoughts.

I do in fact hire very good web designers who could serve this effort, so that is not really an issue to set up and serve.

But in respect to PCGS, I would suggest a chat with the PCGS organizers, and share the plan with them, and maybe elicit their blessing as a starter.

Maybe the site itself could serve as a repository of MPL diagnostic photos, mintage and research information, and information not generally associated with PCGS generally (e.g. publically available) -- An ancillary service site, if you will. Dealers like Brian and others could link in and be given the opportunity to openly trade, and the MPL community as a whole would clearly benefit.

The caveat is that all the information that has accumulated on this PCGS site is legally (in my humble opinion) the intellectual proprietary property of PCGS, so their "Buy In" to move with your initiative on some level would be important, unless you want to start from scratch, which may be okay as well.

Kevin Flynn, wanting to write a new book on mattes (copper and gold) may find a site like this useful, and I'd like to ask his opinion on this matter, as this type of effort may be very helpful in his research.

Now from the practical level, as most of us are hobbyists, we may need one person to devote themselves to the accumulation and organization of the massive information flow that will surely ensue.

I am on board, but you are suggesting a big undertaking. Right now PCGS is doing the heavy lifting, and I don't mean to seem crass, but if the the people who collects non-MPL materials feel overwelmed, I guess I'm in Curly's camp on that issue. -No 'diff, no how, to me....

Just one supportive guys take...Happy to help in any way.

But I refuse to do ANYTHING without a MPL hat for anyone in our club. Brian - your move : ) ...I got a great artist on board if you're serious.

Duane
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I keep looking behind my back for some dime fan to sneak up behind me, knock my MPL hat off and bean me with a baseball bat. >>

Nothing could be farther than the truth.

To all of you so called MPL nerds, I just have a few things to say to you:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that I completely admire all of the threads on MPL's and if this is what you Guys like, then who is to say you need to quit. I read every single thread in this forum, as I cannot keep up with the other forums...I work for a living and this forum is slow anyways. If it wasn't for us Dime and MPL Guys it would already have been shut down.

All I can say is if you Guys want to keep talking about MPL's, then keep talkin'...I'm sure you are bound to run out of things to say right? image

The Dime Guys and MPL Guys have friendly jabs at one another and that is what makes it fun. Just as long as it doesn't become some shouting match and serious foul mouth name calling, I'm up for anything.

Now...can someone please sell me a box of 2008-P or D Dimes?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I think it is a GREAT idea!!!

One bit of advice though. To "keep running totals of populations" you'd need PCGS's ok for theirs as the license to redistribute their intellectual property is not granted automatically upon payment for access to the pop data.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Like most of us, I would support any effort to organize and run an "MPL site". I tend to be pessimistic or maybe realistic however when it comes to the heavy lifting. Obviously someone HAS to do the key work of maintaining the site for "maybe" 25 active participants. It just doesn't seem likely, even if someone provided maybe $10,000 in "front" money. Anyways, I am happy we DO have this forum and that PCGS lets us talk about MPL's to our hearts content. It goes without saying that MPL's and the PCGS Set Registry go hand in hand because we are in fact on the Set Registry forum. Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As already stated:
    1. Great Idea!
    2. Need PCGS Support.
    3. May need a sponsor ($)
    4. It can not happen with someone to monitor it.
    5. I offer to continue the MPL list.
    6. It will make a good spot to corral the MPL Posse.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could probably get something started on wikispaces.

Like mine on Indian cents

The beauty of my site is I can reference it and update it wherever I am. Others can update it as well. It grows and grows and will at some point be the ultimate resource for any and all information on Indian cents.

(you should still buy my books though image
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site: