Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The reds

I found of interest.
In the recently closed Heritage auction, there were four matte reds. The 1909 PR63RD sold for $630 over PCGS listed price. The 1909 PR64RD, $360 over. The 1909 PR65RD, $490 over. A 1910 PR65RD sold for $315 under list. Any others?
Drew (2keele)
Edrew

Comments

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I previewed all 4 coins at Long Beach. The 1910, imo was a R/B because of its toned reverse and that was likely the cause of its weak pricing. The other 3 coins were nice for the grade, imo
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    2keele2keele Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, Brian.
    That kind of info that can only come from an in hand look. It is also the reason I look to this forum for objective information.
    I will be going to Baltimore in late July. Hope I make contact with some of you guys that post here.
    Drew
    Edrew
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Ok, I confess to buying the 1909 PR63RD
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets see some PICS!

After reading the complete guide to the Lincoln cent.....my little jury upstairs is very out on the subject of original reds. Ive got a few reds, and only one of them will I get up and defend on a stack of bibles.
  • Options
    2keele2keele Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Good buy Brain. When I put together my MPL set I bought very choice and near gem, rather than gem, for two reasons. First and foremost, because they fit my pocket book. The second reason was that I felt the gap between gem and near gem was (and is) to great. A 1909 VDB PR63RD (very choice) has a PCGS list price of $9,000. It jumps to $35,000 as a 64RD (near gem). Big jump! Whatcha think?
    Drew
    Edrew