Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did Seller palagian123 Completely Miss The Boat On Crosby The Cup Rookies?! $47,000.00 AND Reserve N

Did seller palagian123 completely miss the boat on this lot of six (6) 2005-06 Upper Deck The Cub Sidney Crosby Rookie?! $47,000.00 and the reserve was not met? I'd imagine the only way the reserve was not met was probably because he was into those cards for $50,000.00. The Pens are down 3-1 in the Finals and I can't any greater interest in those cards TILL NEXT YEAR and this assumes the Pens make and win the Cup. Of course, if he can afford to hold on to those cards for another year, more power to him.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I think so. There are no guarantees in life.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Looks like the Candian dollar is stronger than we think! Seriously...this crap will never be worth more than now. What a bonehead.

JS
  • Options
    The bonehead is the person willing to pay $9500 a pop for an insert card that nobody will care about in ten years and will be worth a fraction of what it is now....
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    He may have fallen in love with his cards; prolly paid $8K+ each.

VERY risky to have that kind of money in those cards. I would have bailed.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Why would he try and sell all six? Wouldn't he be better off selling one at a time considering the value?

Wow, hard to believe some of the PRICES on inserts???
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The guy obviously has the cash or he would not have 6 of those. I doubt he needs the money and he probably just threw them on ebay to see if he could get a crazy amount or just to show off what he has.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that was almost one serious purchase. The highest bidder certainly has some cash flow, but look at the many others who pushed the bids over 10K. If the winning bidder does indeed get the cards, I would think that would be more of a purchase for his collection as opposed to an investment. Either way, that's way out of my league.

I see in the auction this,

<< <i>As you can see there is a reserve on the lot but whoever wins the item i will rmail that person and may still take there highest bid >>

Did this seller put on a very high reserve, like maybe 60K, just to test the market and see if there is any profit in what he has invested? Makes you wonder.
  • Options
    stupid money for an artificial rarity.

he should have taken the money and run. Stuff like that only goes down.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Crap is right.

Dont know whats dumber, the seller for putting that high of a reserve...... or the fat wallet clown who bid the value of a new SUV on 6 shinny Hockey? cards.

Heck, with that $$$ you can buy 3 acres with a cabin in Puna, Hawaii.

• Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Seller is not too bright. Should of taken the $ and run.
    Considering that 3 of the cards are single color,
    and someone having that much money to unload
    at once, he should of taken it. Maybe he's doing
    a side deal after the auction. Wings will hoist the cup
    on Monday anyway.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely missed the boat. These cards have nowhere to go but down in value.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Maybe without the reserve they went for $12,000? Who knows.

Meaning, one can not assume that he would have gotten $47,000 for them in another format. Seller may have been testing the water or a number of things.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I dont know a thing about these cards but I cant imagine that anyone can/could do much better than 47K!
  • Options
    << As you can see there is a reserve on the lot but whoever wins the item i will rmail that person and may still take there highest bid >>

That quote right there might suggest that he only put a high reserve on the auction in an attempt to avoid paying the FVF on the auction. He might of just let the auction run its course and then e-mail the person with the highest bid with the reserve not met in an attempt to sell the cards away from ebay. $47,000 might be more than enough, but $47,000 without all the extra fees sounds even better.
    Chris
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    yikes !!! I agree with you boys......wow. I can think of a 1000 other cards I would rather have for that $.
    Maybe seller had a high reserve to try to keep the buyers bidding upwards......to an end they may never get to. Then offer the deal
    as a second chance offer. Can you still email the 2nd place bidder and offer an off ebay deal???

A true collector usually only wants one example...and might be willing to pay a high price for it.....but 6 that gives the auction to only a investor. Is there room for an investor. I don't buy newer cards......But what if sidney breaks his leg next year????
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As you can see there is a reserve on the lot but whoever wins the item i will rmail that person and may still take there highest bid >>

I saw that too, who would send someone 46k in what now amounts to an off ebay sale?

or can one do that and still use ebay?

I know he could set up another auction using BIN.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Well, it looks like I was wrong. The Pens did make and win the Cup "next year" or rather this year. But, of course, I think it is safe to assume that the economy now is not what it was this time last year.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I wonder if he still has the cards.