Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1924 Lincoln cent error - how did this happen?

Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
Here is one I can't figure out. The reverse is normal. The obverse has a recessed area at the 4 that is lower than the surface
of the coin, yet the 4 was still struck. How could this happen?

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

Comments

• Options
    Looks like post-mint damage that occurred long ago.

Probably not an error then of course.
  • Options
    If it was post mint, there would be a bulge on the reverse, right? The reverse is normal.
    Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defective planchet.

peacockcoins

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a lamination error.
    The reason that you can still see the number is when the coin is minted, the metal doesn't just get effected at the coins surface, but shows deflection (metal movement) deep into the metal.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a lamination error.
    The reason that you can still see the number is when the coin is minted, the metal doesn't just get effected at the coins surface, but shows deflection (metal movement) deep into the metal. >>

Agree wholeheartedly...
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options
    Here is an example of mine that shows the same lamination effect.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I think lamination
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Lamination or struck thru.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% lamination.
  • Options
    I don't know crap about this, so I'll agree with the previous lamination comments. Makes me feel betterimage
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    It's not a lamination, it's not post-mint...

It's a struck-through. Struck-through scrap, probably a piece of metal. It's not a lamination because there is no peel at the edges. A lamination peel always shows a rough 'torn' edge, and this anomaly has smooth edges all the way around.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    I think I would have to agree with coppercoins. The depth of the sunken spot is very deep
    and the top of the 4 is lower than the surface of the coin. Thanks for all replies.
  • Options
    aballeinaballein Posts: 388
    im with chuck on this one
  • Options

<< <i>I think I would have to agree with coppercoins. The depth of the sunken spot is very deep
    and the top of the 4 is lower than the surface of the coin. Thanks for all replies. >>

I usually agree with coppercoins also. But the issue with the depth of the 4 has nothing to do with the cause here. The 9 and the S in my example are also well below the surface of the coin.
  • Options
    I wish it were a struck through rather than a laminiation; however, I have sent several of these to PCGS and they have always identified them as laminations. It appears to get a "strike through" desination, it has to be a well-defined cloth, wire, screw, etc. If you think about it, this type of struck laminmation IS a strike through, but through a piece of laminated planchet that has since fallen away from the coin.

Garrow
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Strike through error.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file