Home Sports Talk
Options

Showtime Elite XC

Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
Did anyone see the fights? I know there must be some MMA fans out there.

I missed the first half, but saw the ladies fight which was awesome.
The Robbie Lawler fight should have been continued. I think they stopped it too soon. They will definitely need a rematch.
Kimbo Slice got lucky. The other dude could do nothing with the position advantage for most of the fight except for the second round.
Kimbo will be in trouble if he fights someone with skills, imho.

Tomorrow Uriah Faber vs Jens Pulver should be a classic!

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yeah the scott smith fight was a horrible stoppage by that female doctor..

the kimbo stoppage was bad too, i mean yeah Thompson was on his way out, but he usually gets knocked out way better than that.. but the stoppage just shows that MMA is quite a bit safer than boxing..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    oh and you're right, kimbo looked really awful on the ground.. any top heavyweights would smash him up, couture, fedor, sylvia, barnett, whoever.. kimbo is not top 10 by any means..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    alpemomoalpemomo Posts: 355
    You guys are right about Kimbo, however I think that EliteXC is promoting the "train wreck" option.

The two best fights were the Lawlor and Smith fight and the girls fight, Gina Carano is as good as she is hot! Nice

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    I only watched Kimbo, saw a lot of his fights on internet, I think it was stopped too soon, even fans booed, think they got a lot invested in him, fixed, needs to work on skills, just a brawler.
  • Options
    Apparently there was an altercation with Kimbo and another heavyweight, Brett Rogers at the post fight press conference.
    Post fight Press conference
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Let me preface by saying I know very little about mixed martial arts or ultimate fighting, but I have been following the Kimbo saga because it's very interesting to me. It seems the true fighers who have been doing it for years are pissed because Kimbo is getting the main event fights and the big paydays, which seems understandable. It's blatantly obvious that Kimbo has mainstream appeal and just by him being involved will get spectators to see other fights, which is good for the sport overall. Even if Kimbo himself isn't a top-tier fighter, he's the most marketable asset the sport has, so why not exploit that?

Most MMA guys don't think Kimbo would last 1 round against a top heavyweight and they're probably right. Kimbo himself has said he needs to keep training and learning new things. They're obviously setting him up against guys he can beat which makes sense because why kill their cash-cow so early? Most people in the sport feel Kimbo is bad for MMA, but I guess it depends where you're coming from. If they want to make more money they would embrace the circus because it got them a spot on prime time network TV which otherwise would not have happened. The promoters know what they're doing and the fighters should be happy about the extra exposure for the sport, even if Kimbo isn't a good representation. Many million people saw a bunch of fights that they normally wouldn't have.
  • Options
    so when does Kimbo get to fight Balboa??

Rocky 7? image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It's actually gonna be a tagteam match: Kimbo and Mr. T vs. Hogan and Rocky. It is undecided if Hogan will come to the ring as Thunderlips or not.
  • Options
    For anyone that watched the WEC fights tonight...it was a MUCH better show then the Elite XC.
    Faber vs Pulver was a classic.

I agree with Lee on Kimbo. He's a cash cow. Once he fights someone with skills, it's over.

• Options

<< <i>For anyone that watched the WEC fights tonight...it was a MUCH better show then the Elite XC.
    Faber vs Pulver was a classic.

I agree with Lee on Kimbo. He's a cash cow. Once he fights someone with skills, it's over. >>

I did see that, and agree the Faber vs Pulver was amazing. I also liked the fight right before that as well.