Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    That isn't rare. Most well struck Lincolns have them. I believe it's caused by metal flow on both sides of the coin.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    There's no such thing as "die suction". What you're seeing is a case of progressive, indirect design transfer -- a form of die deterioration. It's quite common on wheatback cents.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die suction is an ooooooooold term that truly means nothing.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When dies strike coins, the various recesses in the dies that make up the designs cause differing pressures to be transmitted through the planchet to the opposite dies. This causes uneven wear patterns that can eventually simulate the design of the opposing die.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Right on, CaptHenway! Well said.
    Garrow
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It’s the term given to the sound made the moment you swallow some coin-seller’s tall tale about their great grandfather’s untouched coin collection. Usually associated with a feeling of lightness in the wallet followed by acute embarrassment when you show off the “original” prize at the next coin club meeting – only to learn the coin has been whizzed.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the old days they also used this term for clashed die coins which we all know now to be total nonsense.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I have not heard that term used in a long time.

made about as much sense back then as it does nowimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To learn and to laugh. That's what I get out of this place. imageimage
    I try to pay attention to the experts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file