Home U.S. Coin Forum

1806 Draped Bust Half Dollar

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just purchased this coin. The PCGS holder says "1806/5" -- but those of you that know the series likely know it is not that. Instead, it is an 1806 over inverted 6, or O-111a.

I don't collect halves, but bought this one because of the look, the cud, and the price.

imageimage

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decent looking coin, and great addition to your typeset.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the inverted 6 is WAY better than just a 6/5. I've never seen that one wrong in an ANACS holder image
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! Looks like an 1806/9 O-110 to me.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin! Looks like an 1806/9 O-110 to me. >>

checked my Overton: the obverse is definitely the 1806/inverted 6 obverse (obverse 7), not the "die break between stars 10 and 11 to face" obverse (obverse 6).

The pic doesn't show it well, but there is certainly a significant remnant of the inverted six sticking out from behind the 6 in the date. I still believe it is the O-111a.

Any idea on rarity? The book says the O-111a is an R-4, but I know that may be outdated
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, nice buy, the coin looks wholesome, pcgs slabbed and error attribution to boot, definitely a better variety, probably no more than a few hundred of them exist in any grade.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a real nice score Barndog.
    The only 1806/5 that rivals this is the O-104
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

<< <i>wow, nice buy, the coin looks wholesome, pcgs slabbed and error attribution to boot, definitely a better variety, probably no more than a few hundred of them exist in any grade. >>

thanks!
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    If it was in a rattler i betcha'd keep it forever... image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barndog,

A very nice example, if you are to have one coin as type for this series, a great choice. This is one of my favorite die marriages, I have owned four in various die stages.

The current published rarity rating for all die states of the O.111 DM is R-3. I would rate the DM as R-3+ (200-275 extant), with the 111 prime without cud as R-6, the 111a with one cud as R-4-, and the 111b with two cuds as R-6 (see sig). A very interesting variety that has sold for a premium for many years.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Another great looking old coin with that "cameo" look to it.

Very nice and congrats on the pickup. image

Mike
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if you can send it into PCGS under mechanical error as it has the wrong designation. image

<< <i>Barndog,

A very nice example, if you are to have one coin as type for this series, a great choice. This is one of my favorite die marriages, I have owned four in various die stages.

The current published rarity rating for all die states of the O.111 DM is R-3. I would rate the DM as R-3+ (200-275 extant), with the 111 prime without cud as R-6, the 111a with one cud as R-4-, and the 111b with two cuds as R-6 (see sig). A very interesting variety that has sold for a premium for many years. >>

excellent information, thank you.

<< <i>Wonder if you can send it into PCGS under mechanical error as it has the wrong designation. >>

I will likely bring it to the Summer FUN show and see what I can have done to get it fixed. As of now, I have a yellow sticker over the designation with the proper information.

I know the original pic is gone, but as a follow-up, I did bring the coin to the Summer FUN show...and traded it toward a half dime that I just had to have image
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    Do you have pics of both?

<< <i>Do you have pics of both? >>

don't have pics of the half dollar any longer, but here's the "must-have" half dime:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file