Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with attributing 1928-S VAM-3 Doubled Motto, Please

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I have been having trouble attributing my 1928-s that I think is a VAM-3 Doubled Motto coin. I found this Heritage auction Auctin Link that shows one in a PCGS holder that looks similar to mine. But, when I compare the attribution with information in on the vamworld site the mintmarks seem to be located in different positions? The one in vamworld is higher than the one in the Heritage auction. My coin has the mintmark positioned like the one in the Heritage auction.Vamworld Link

I want to send my coin to PCGS, but am confused about whether it is really a VAM-3, can someone help me with this attribution?

Thanks,
Charlie

Comments

• Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795
    Most 28S's are DDO, to one degree or another. The key to the VAM-3 is the large separation on the D and especially the WE; I hope that this helps.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    So, can a coin be a VAM-3 with either a high or low positioned mintmark? Here is an ebay auction for one in a ANACS holder with a high positioned mintmark. Auction Link The mintmark shown in the Heritage auction above is considerably higher.
  • Options
    Any VAM people here tonight. image
  • Options
    erroiderroid Posts: 795
    No it can't, the MM is always high.
    John G Bradley II
  • Options
    So did PCGS get it wrong in the Heritage auction I linked above, it doesn't have the mintmark high?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since VAMs 3 and 4 were differentiated in the Hot 50 guide, many more DDOs were discovered with the mintmark positioned as for the VAM 3 (VAMs 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, I think). They are not easy to attribute and usually come down to the degree and direction of doubling on the TR in TRVST, although there are other diagnostics as well.
  • Options
    So maybe there could be more mintmark positions for the VAM-3 than just the one listed in the VAMworld description?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file