Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2008 Plat proof grading question

RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sent my first 2008 .25 oz plat proof back due to an easily visible white spot on Liberty's neck on the obverse.

The replacement arrived today. Overall, much better. There are no faults to the naked eye whatsoever. However under the eagle's right talon there is a tiny dark appearing speck visible with a 4x loupe. When viewed at an angel it is clear that this is a very tiny area where the frost finish is missing. Would such a small defect, visible only at 4x in itself make the coin a 69?

Thanks for any insight.

Have a good weekend.
Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    becuase that is just the way it is..

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>becuase that is just the way it is.. >>

??
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    A frost break may or may not make it a 69, but I wouldn't count on a 70

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Return this one as well to the US Mint. Get your moneys worth..its not like a $25 coin. It migh even get a 68 for all you know. image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a definitive answer for you, but if you send it to PCGS for grading, I'd like to know the followup answer. I am guessing that you won't do much better by returning it for a replacement.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input guys. I don't live far from Balto. so I'll take it to the show and run it by one of the PCGS or NGC folks for an opinion. As was pointed out, if I send it back, the next one may well be worse. If the TPG people say it's a problem I'll send it back for a refund and run down to the Mint's retail store in D.C. where I can look over multiple coins until I'm happy. In fact, I'll probably do this for any future plat purchases to avoid this hassle. These are supposed to be the Mint's "premier product"!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file