Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP Jack Mildren

I know most of you never heard of Jack Mildren but on the 22nd of May he lost a 2 year battle with stomach cancer. He played for Oklahoma University from 1969-71 and played in The Game of the Century against Nebraska loosing 35-31. He was dubbed The Godfather of the Wishbone. In 1990 he was elected Lt Gov. in Oklahoma. He recently was a host on the local Sports Talk radio station and everyone that's come in contact with him says that he was a normal guy like everyone else. I currently openly display 4 cards: 2001 Press Pass Earnhardt, 1964 Mantle Giant, 1976 Wonderbread Thomas and Taylor(my first two football cards) and now this card a 1975 Topps, which will look good next to the auto photograph that I have of him.

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    RIP and condolences to his family
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I grew up 20 minutes from OU (in the 70s & 80s). Jack Mildren was an absolute legend. A great Sooner! Rest in peace and my sympathy to his family as well.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Although a California native and life-long resident, I've always been a Sooner fan. I remember Jack Mildren well, and will never forget the "Game of the Century" in which he quarterbacked so ably. (We all know that Kinney fumbled that ball!) May Jack Mildren rest in peace.
    Brett