Home Testing Forum

1968 S (1969 D) Quarter Type B and 3 Other Reverse Varietiess

This thread is under construction

This post is in response to Cladking's request for a "KISS" (Keep it Simple, Stupid) treatment of the subject. So here are the bare bones fool proof pick up points for the varieties. This was written for the 1968 S quarters, but the 1969 D have the same 4 varieties.

Type B - Either one of these pickup points are sufficient. (This was called IIb in my original article and RDV - 008 by CONECA)
1) The leaf to the left of the arrowpoints sticks above the arrowpoints in contrast to all other varieties.
2) The gap between E and S of STATES is greater and the tail of the S does not stick up as high above the E in contrast to all other varieties.

This can be seen in the illustrations in my 1970 D thread:
http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=627990&highlight_key=y&keyword1=1970
It can also be seen on page 152 of the Cherrypickers' Guide Fourth Edition Voulume II. About 25 % of the 1968 S production were type B which occurred at the end of the year. In my experience 0.8% of the 1969 D are type B.

Type M - again any one set is sufficient to identify the M. (This was called type IIIb in my original article and RDV - 007 by CONECA.
1) In my mind, the most extreme difference is the extreme sharpness of the inside edge of the wings starting at the eagle's body as versus the field and the coin is not a type B. I don't think the B and M look that much alike in that area, but I am mentioning this in perhaps an excess of caution.
2) Top barb of the arrowpoints is missing and the coin is NOT a type B, which also has this barb apparently missing.
3) Second leaf to the left of the arrowpoints is higher than all other varieties.
4) The inside extreme tip of the wing to the viewers left starting at the leaf has an outline line. 1973 and 1974 which are yet another variety have a similiar, but not identical line.

Again you should be able to see these differences in the illustrations in the 1970 D thread.
About 75 % of the 1968 S production was this variety and 12.0 % of the 1969 D.

Type IIIb (CONECA RDV - 006)
This is a business strike version first used on a very few 1967 quarters and on all 1969 Philly quarters. This is the first clad quarter to have a doubled master die. Actually this doubled master die was used to make the M master die and the 1973/4 version. The first thing to note here is that it is NOT an B or M type.
1) The doubling is most noticeable inside the top of Q in QUARTER. Use a 1969 Philly for comparsion.
2) The inside edge of the wing to the viewer's left where it joins the body, although weaker than B or M is stronger than the cother circulation strike version.
About 2 % of the 1968 S production was this variety and 58.1 % of the 1969 D.

Type IIIa1 and IIIa2 (CONECA RDV - 004 and RDV - 005)
1) No doubling
2) The inside edge of the wing where it joins the body is very weak to the point of disappearing.

The difference between these two minor varieties lumped together here is the incuse outlining of the inside edge of the verticle wing section to the viewer's right on the IIIa2. On proof production this would almost certainly be polished off and all would look like IIIa1. Also I did not distingush between the two on my 1969 D census although I did find both.
About 1% of the 1968 S production were these varieties and 29.1 % of the 1969 D.

If you are interested in more details, see the 1970 D thread reference.