Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nice Garage Sale Finds: Mantle, Tiger and Flood OH MY!!

Will post descriptions later:
Andy Benes Minor League Auto

Does anyone know who this is? He looks familiar is the reason I bought it. Updated: Greg Brock thanks to some of the board members. I knew he looked familiar.

I got two of these

Curt Flood Auto

I got two of these. It's a post card type card with a sign up form on the back for organ and tissue donation.

Sportsflics type Mantle disc. 4 1/2 inches across with a blank back. Anyone have any ideas where this came from?

Tiger Woods rc. I would say in Excellent condition. Seller wanted $10 for it but I looked at it for about 5 minutes and offered $2.

Neat little comic book. Measures 5 x 3 1/4. Printed in 1976 by Carvel Ice Cream. I'll have to do some background research on this one but it's in pretty good shape.

ALL FOR $4!!!!!! I offered him $2 for the Tiger Woods rc and $2 for all of the other stuff that was in a giant semi rigid holder. I all most passed out when he accepted my offer because I was expecting some negotiations.

Comments

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>ALL FOR $4!!!!!! >>

I would've flipped the person a $5 bill and said, "Keep the change!!"

Great deal!
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Nice find! image
  • And I thought I did good by picking up a couple of nice old board games today..

Solarquest, Masterpiece and some parts from Green Ghost paid 5.00 for them..

• << <i>

<< <i>ALL FOR $4!!!!!! >>

>>

FOUR BUCKS!!! I pretty much never find any good sports stuff at garage sales. I all most didn't go because I strained my calf muscle and last night I couldn't walk too great. But after getting up this morning I iced it for an hour then wrapped it and off we went. I'm glad I did and the calf feels goooooooood.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome find. PM sent.

Shane

• jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I believe that Dodger is Greg Brock.

respectfully,

-jhg
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. Greg Brock is the Dodger dude.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I was gonna guess Cory Snyder, but these guys seem to know their obscure Dodgers from the 80s.
  • OK I've done a little Ebay searching and the Benes(if that's who it is) doesn't look close to anything online but who would fake his auto? The Curt Flood is dead on and I would like to get it certified. The other auto is Greg Brock(thanks guys). The Mantle comic I found online ranging from $5-20. The Mantle disc is a 1986 Sportsflic. The Mantle organ donation card is probably worth nothing. The tickets who knows if they are worth anything. Anyone know where I can get autographed photos certified?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The Mantle organ donor card is listed in the Beckett Almanac IIRC as being worth a dollar or two. After his death, they were handed out at ballparks in fairly large numbers for the rest of the season.

As for the Lakers-Celtics ticketsyou could always get them autographed. If you're in the L.A. area, Mychal Thompson is the easiest one to get, because he cohosts a sports talk radio show (i.e., lots of public appearances). I don't know who's the easiest if you're in the Boston area.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • The Mantle organ donor card is listed in the Beckett Almanac IIRC as being worth a dollar or two. After his death, they were handed out at ballparks in fairly large numbers for the rest of the season.

Which is a discgrace when you realize some kid was skipped because of his stature. The problems with his liver were caused by him. If it had been me or you we would have NEVER been on the donation list at all.
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    But you or me didn't hit 500 HRs, win a triple crown and plow countless females all over the country. Famous people are more important than regular people, the E! Network is proof of that.

• << <i>But you or me didn't hit 500 HRs, win a triple crown and plow countless females all over the country. Famous people are more important than regular people, the E! Network is proof of that. >>

True, but in that kid that died could have gone on to greater things we will never know.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>And I thought I did good by picking up a couple of nice old board games today..

Solarquest, Masterpiece and some parts from Green Ghost paid 5.00 for them.. >>

Nice! I sold a Masterpiece game a few weeks ago on ebay for $26 that I found at a garage sale. But I got lucky on that one. How do you determine which games are worth getting and which are not? Its been hit and miss for me with the few games I've found at garage sales and tried to sell.

• Its really hit or miss, I have a few genres I look at and then the others I have learned from trial and error.

Older games that could be classed as horror, like Green Ghost, Which Witch are good bets.. Dark Tower is like the grail for that genre.

Old War games do good. Many time I will pick up all they have at the Salvation Army for 99 cents each. Worse scenario I am out 99 cents, but most games can be picked up for a couple of bucks at sales.

• << <i>The Mantle organ donor card is listed in the Beckett Almanac IIRC as being worth a dollar or two. After his death, they were handed out at ballparks in fairly large numbers for the rest of the season.

Which is a discgrace when you realize some kid was skipped because of his stature. The problems with his liver were caused by him. If it had been me or you we would have NEVER been on the donation list at all. >>

You're absolutely right. I think he died 2-3 months after getting the liver. I wonder how good he would've been if he didn't drink and if they had the medical technology back then that we do now. I remember him saying at a press conference shortly before he died in which he said "kids, don't be like me."
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK I've done a little Ebay searching and the Benes(if that's who it is) doesn't look close to anything online but who would fake his auto? >>

Found one that is similar to it on this site HERE.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff!

Can't beat the price!

The Mantle pamplet for 35 cents - is that a Carvel ice cream printing?

I have one similar somewhere - it was given to me by Qualitycards a while back - he's a very generous guy - and a great dealer.

mike
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mantle certainly had his inner demons and lived his life the way he did in part because he was convinced that he'd die at an early age, as most members of his family, including his father, passed away prematurely. Many people say how things might have been different if he hadn't lived the way he did, but who knows how things would have turned out if he hadn't been drinking. I guess I'm a believer in the fact that people are put here for a purpose and their course and the lifestyle that goes with it, is already predetermined by forces greater than all of us. I know there's some philosophical term for this belief, maybe existentialism? OK, carry on now, LOL...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.