Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 TOPPS FOOTBALL Official PSA Thread

Comments

• Options
    More outstanding info on the Series and pack variations!

NCDOLFAN

Yes, your mighty Dolphins did manage to avoid another confrontation with "Doomsday" to cement they
    place in history. Another Landry/Shula Matchup would have been very interesting.

YMAREA

Congratulations on the remarkable set you have built! I started getting a bit fustrated losing the bid to you on many cards.
    As for affording the 10's, I do have a handful in my set that were either my own submissions or aquired at a reasonable price.
    My theory is that all 10's are nothing more than glorified 9's. I can not justify spending the ridiculous prices some of them bring for
    no other reason that the silly registry status. keep up the good work.

Now, with all due respect to "NCDOLFAN" and all the other 72 Dolphin faithful. I present to you some of the very popular Dolphin
    cards from the 72 set.
    All the Dolphin cards from the 72 set seem the bring a premium. Thats probably why I am missing many of them. I still need both
    Larry Csnoka Cards (The regular and the In Action) , Ive lost the Jake Scott card at auction multiple times to higher bidders.
    The one card that has been particularly hard to find in mint 9 is the Manny Fernadez. One of the few 9's I seen was to off centered for me so I passed on it.

imageimage

There is also a Scoring Leader Garo Yepremian, but my PSA 8 is an overgrade and not worthy of showing.

imageimage

Im not real thrilled with the centering on the Kiick. The Griese was an ebay purchase. I have another Griese in my raw set that
    I think is nicer than this one. I submitted it once and it came back an 8. I removed it from the slab and put it back in my raw set.
    I have no doubt that it is a razor sharp 9 at the least. PSA's inconsistant and untrained graders can be fustrating at times.
    I will get a scan up of that raw card sometime and let you guys check it out.

imageimageimage

All three of these beauties were also my own submissions from my raw set. The Larry Little rookie also fell prey to either a blind PSA grader or the % of cards that get undergraded in order to insure the PSA crack/resubmit for more profit program continues to flourish.
    All three of these cards are blazing pack fresh razor sharp beauties that I would put up against any 10's. And the Griese I spoke
    of above is just as sharp or nicer than any of these three.

imageimage

NEVER will I ever forget the infamous blocked FG and pass Garo tried to throw with lead to the Mike Bass TD. God bless his soul for
    giving us that memorable play. In all honesty Garo was a great kicker who led the league in scoring and that undeafeated season
    might not have ever happened with garo's scoring. Did I mention that the card is also not a nice enough 9 for me. the centering is driving
    me crazy. I have an 8 that is better.
    As I mentioned Im still looking for the Jake Scott(for the right price) I think he and Dick Anderson have been overlooked key players of that
    "No Name Defense"

imageimageimage

And finally the High Number cards. While I would like to have 9's of the Griese and Little. I can't seem to justify to myself spending
    the money for labels on cards that I feel would not be any better than the ones I have. Both are cards from my raw set and maybe
    its just that I have an emotional attachment to the cards since Ive had them in my collection for so many years.

John
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    John,

All of your cards are among the finest for their grade that I've ever seen. They all look mint to me. #1 Rushing leaders may be the best such card I've seen in any grade. Thanks for sharing them. When I bought that group of cards from the owner of the #1 all-time set, I put in an offer for his #221 Fernandez. He wanted about $300 so I had to pass on it. I can see why he would ask so much, since it's hard to find MINT, plus Dolphin cards from that set are very popular. I've reached the point now where I spend according to point total, having established an artificial amount per registry point. With #221 having a weight of only 1, I can't justify $300 for only 1 set point.

I can't tell you my per-point-limit because I won't be able to outbid you anymore. image Just kidding

After I make a couple of more purchases, I plan to sell my set via one of the big auction houses. I built it intent on keeping it forever, but I ran into an unexpected circumstance. It's not any sort of hardship. The problem is my own weakness. This is my first-ever registered set and I didn't count on the competitive side of it and its addictive power. I don't think I have the strength to leave the set as it is, even though I'm perfectly content with the appearance of each card. I keep pouring more and more money into it, trying to move up the ladder and get as close to 100% mint as I can. (It's now at 85% MINT or GEM MINT). I don't want to break it and sell card by card. Too much work for me. I'd rather just end it all in one fell swoop. I know I won't get anywhere near the amount of money that went into it, but the joy of building the set was worth the expense.

Please keep posting your beauties.

Perhaps I'll build a nice raw set in the future. I REALLY love those '72's.
    Brett
  • Options
    Brett

Thanks for the kind words. SAY IT AIN'T SO! All that work and money and your going to sell it?

Yes I know how easy it can be to get caught up in the registry and start throwing piles of money at cards.
    While I have fallen prey a few times, I have been faithfully staying true to my own rule that, no matter what the flip says,
    if I don't feel that the card is substancially better than the one I have I will pass on it.

The set means more to me than any monatary value and I have no plans to ever sell my set. It represents a special time
    of my life and I just can't explain why I feel the need to always be able to pull it out and look at it. It will go to my four year old
    son when the time is right.

$300! for the Manny Ferndez! No Way I'll give that. That was another reason I passed one some of that sellers cards.
    I think he gave some pretty hefty prices for some of them cards when they had lower populations. I usually never give that crazy money for low pop commons. Their populations will grow and I will wait until then to get them at a reasonable price.

Ive be quite lucky with my raw subs in getting some of the lower pop cards PSA 9.

Here are a few cards from my raw set that were pretty low pop cards at the time.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

take care
    John

• Options
    Hey Brett, Welcome to the club of former 1972 Topps football set owners. You know how some guys will build and restore a vintage car. They will upgrade parts trying to win more and more show points but getting close to the top, it gets more expensive per point gained. Then after all the work and money put into a thing of beauty, they sell it for a loss to a schlep who's too lazy to build his own. Sounds familiar huh ?
    John, great cards and yes the Fernandez has always been tough but his is the only other Dolphin rookie in the set. Talking about PSA 10 prices, when Carlos and I were battling 10's only got 250.00 or so for the high #'s. The first 10 Little rookie went for a exorbitant 400.00 plus around 2004.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    NCDOLFAN,

I like your vintage car analogy. It hit home, for sure.

As much as I hate to part with the set, I look forward to the freedom I'll get when I'm no longer obsessing over it. The weening process has already begun. I'm going to pass on a few 9's that are up for auction on eBay. Each would, if won, bump me up to #4 all-time but I have to start disciplining myself right now. There are a couple of 10's that I'm watching. If I get either one of those, I'm calling it quits. Then I'll get to work upgrading my raw baseball sets.
    Brett
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to offer a public "thank you" to John (bigreddog) for providing two of the three remaining cards toward the completion of my Series 1&2.

I also thought I would offer one of the '72s in my set. Note that I pulled this and 95% of the others from wax packs when I was 8 years old. Fortunately I took pretty good care of them.

I'm considering the pursuit of Series 3 although, like most on this board, I'm already spreading myself a little thin.

Scott
  • Options
    Hi All

Im back with my latest submission of cards from my raw set. The Norm Snead is DEFINATELY undergraded.
    It will be going back on my next sub.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

John
  • Options
    Holy mackeral, John! You have some of the prettiest '72's I've ever seen. Outstanding.
    Brett
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Dave Smith has a sweet fro, lol.
  • Options
    Thanks Brett!

Im getting down to the nitty gritty of my raw set as to what I think I can get a Mint 9 on.
    The Snead will no doubt go back with the next batch, if I can garner enough prospects from my raw set.
    john
  • Options
    SCOTT
    forgot to mention Your welcome for the cards. Still looking for the calvin hill?

BRETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON"T DO IT! That Beautiful set and all the hard work, time and money! I seen your set up for auction on ebay.
    That mint 9 Roger! and those other beautiful cherry cards!
    I don't know the pros/cons of selling a set as a whole or breaking it up, but best of luck to you.
    If something happens where you break the set up please LMK.

Reguards
    John
  • Options
    John,

I doubt that the set will sell on eBay, but I thought I'd give it a shot. If it doesn't sell, I'm still debating on whether to break it up or consign it to an auction house. I've had 2 houses express an interest in it. I'm just afraid that an auction may bring far below my minimum acceptable price. Who knows, though? I may end up keeping it afterall. My inability to resist continued upgrades is what has prompted me to sell it. I'm just sooooo weak.
    Brett
  • Options
    Brett
    any luck on your set? I have an ideal for you. If your inability to resist pumping more money into your already top notch set
    is making you want to sell. How about starting and focusing on another set? The 71 is a killer set in itself, or the 70 set! or
    69 or 68, how bout 55,56.57 OK OK... that is my weakness. I simply can't stop starting a new set, in what seems like every week Im starting another one. OH THE MADDNESS!!!!!!
    Right now Im trying to focus on my main three sets. 72 (down to 52 cards) 71( at 37%) and the 55 Topps AA I started earlier this year(at 22%)

Just picked up this card for my 72 set. I had passed on 2/3 others because the centering on them was not acceptable to me for a
    PSA 9 card.

John
  • Options
    John,
    Very nice Csonka IA. That card is very hard to come by.

I couldn't dare start a new football set. I'm currently neck-deep in upgrading all of my 1970's baseball sets. That's a never-ending project that keeps me very busy. No luck with the set. Lots of watchers, not a single offer. I suspect some may be waiting for the final hours of the listing to throw in a lowball offer, thinking that I'm desperate to sell. I'm not desperate. In fact, I have my eye on about 4 cards as potential upgrades. Building the set is still lots of fun.
    Brett
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I just listed a bunch of 72 football graded between 7 & 9 on ebay. All start at 99 cents with no reserve. Feel free to check it out if you are in need of any - thanks!
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    1 14899341 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 63 WALT SWEENEY
    1 14899343 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 95 LARRY BROWN
    1 14899344 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 96 MIKE PHIPPS
    1 14899345 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 193 JAKE SCOTT
    1 14899346 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 252 GEORGE FARMER IN ACTION

these 72's were on my latest sub, let me know if you want to make an offer, they are all for sale

Rob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    I am interested in the Sweeney and the Farmer PLS PM ME
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    LU Champions has moved up nicely on this set in the past 6 months. I believe him an MOSH are the two tenured guys on the set.
  • Options
    No updates in over a year?
  • Options
    nope
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

I would like to thank whoever that was that sold the 72's last night,
    I'm sure they are a member here,I needed that #1 psa8 for some time now!
    I even got a couple extra 9's for my Raiders set,thanks.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I got a couple out of that too. Plus got outbid on some things I thought I would win for sure.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

I had some bids I thought were home runs,got
    home last night and had only 4 winners,still very happy,
    got 2 more tonight,so all in all,very pleased,that #1 has been
    eluding me for some time now.I have to get rid of some 8's now.

J.R.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I want to thank everyone who bid on and won some of the cards in my 72 football auction. It was a great set, I expect quite a few collectors to move up on the 72 set registry with some of those. Might have another one again sometime this year to break.

Dave
    Apple383
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    I saw a card that I paid $80 for in November sell for $142 tonight. Another one that I saw sell for $26 last month, I got outbid at $38. So, I am guessing some boys and girls brought their pocketbooks out for this one.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw a card that I paid $80 for in November sell for $142 tonight. Another one that I saw sell for $26 last month, I got outbid at $38. So, I am guessing some boys and girls brought their pocketbooks out for this one. >>

I agree,I went with the old adage,buy the card,not the holder.
    There was 2 I was going to have no matter the price,I had the #1 at $250!
    LMK about the pm,thanks for looking out.

J.R.
    Housefullofcards386
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    Wow! No updates in nearly four years on this thread. Well, I am back in. After selling my PSA 8 completed set (minus one card in PSA 7 Mike friggin' Clark) I always regretted it but I was strapped for cash and I am glad I got what I did for it. So, like I said, I am back. I am at 30% already and going for PSA 8's again. The commons will be rather affordable but again the High Series will not be cheap. I have all of the HOF Rookies except for Staubach so I am hoping to watch my spending to save up for that one.

On a side note LU Champions picked up the toughest card in the set #351 Ken Willard in PSA 9. It is the only card in the high series with a single digit PSA 9 pop of seven. And that is one too many because I know of one crack out that came back a nine. Nice work Greg! Hope to keep you updated on my pickups.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Did John sell his set? I seem to recall him selling his Sunoco stuff a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    Yes John did sell his.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew he hadn't been around much lately. I always liked discussing this set, and the game in general, with him.

I still have that PSA 7 Ron Yary I bought from you when you upgraded.
  • Options

<< <i>I knew he hadn't been around much lately. I always liked discussing this set, and the game in general, with him.

I still have that PSA 7 Ron Yary I bought from you when you upgraded. >>

Awesome! I enjoy hearing where my cards end up and sometimes stay for a very long time.
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    I am just starting this set too but I am going for raw. If anyone has any to sell or trade let me know. Thanks Scott
  • Options
    I can see why you guys collect this set in high grade, it is awesome. I wish I had the funds to get the set graded but it is going to be fun trying to complete as best centered as I can. I just got my first 210 in really nice condition and I'll try to update as I go.
  • Options
    I am down to needing 16 cards to finish up to 263. The set is coming along nicely but there are a few I just don't see centered very well. I'll try to post some pics of what I have so far and update till I get done. I am on the fence about high #s right now as they seem to be going $15-20 on raw commons. Ouch. It will be something long term I guess.
  • Options
    Go get nice centered 7's of the high series and crack them. Look great raw. And cheaper. V
  • Options

Troy
    How ya coming along with the 72s? Like you I did set in 8's but then for some reason kept wanting
    to upgrade to 9s for no apperant reason,sold set 1-363,and now that im doing it again forgot how tough the high#s
    were to find to my liking.After taking forever to do the 58 set,I'm looking to hit this one hard! PM me on next set break
    coming up,no need in bumping into each otherimage
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>Troy
    How ya coming along with the 72s? Like you I did set in 8's but then for some reason kept wanting
    to upgrade to 9s for no apperant reason,sold set 1-363,and now that im doing it again forgot how tough the high#s
    were to find to my liking.After taking forever to do the 58 set,I'm looking to hit this one hard! PM me on next set break
    coming up,no need in bumping into each otherimage >>

Agreed! Will let you know what I am hitting.
  • Options
    I'm down to last 3. #133,166 and 221.
  • Options
    #133 AFC is tricky to find nicely centered. As is Manny Fernandez. Clint Jones should not be a tough one. Best of luck
  • Options
    I have #166 but oc. You are right on with other 2 being hard to find centered. There are several of mine that aren't perfectly centered but have great corners and gloss and I'm ok with that. I actually won a Spurrior action high # in an auction that I bid just the minimum and won to my surprise. It was a Psa 8 for $40. I finally got the Bradshaw, he was tough to find in nice shape. I have to get some pics up but their not going to be gems like Johns are.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I found your thread !! I see you have some amazing cards.
  • Options
    Thanks for finding thread. I was looking for this a few weeks back to scan some pics. I am down to 6 cards to complete high series. I found a few good deals but for the most part paid going price for majority. I will scan some pics when I get a chance and thanks to Heritage for finding thread
  • Options
    I am working on scanning some pics but wanted to list #s I need to complete set. I need #272,302,323,326,336 and 341. If anyone has these please let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    I just picked up 272 and 302 down to 4. I took scans of several but can't get them on photobucket for some reason. I ht upload photo but just doesn't upload. Does anybody have this problem or know how to fix?
  • Options
    I will keep my eye open for you. What grade are you looking for?
  • Options
    Looking for nicely centered,raw or graded 7-8. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Looking for nicely centered,raw or graded 7-8. Thanks for any help.

I am going to a good show this weekend I will take a look.
  • Options
    Picked up 336 3 to go.
  • Options
    Finished!! Bought the last 3 on auction on ebay few nights ago. It was a Great set to build and high #s are pretty tough to find at decent prices. I really wished my computer was working to post some scans hopefully my wife can fix it. 😉