Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are 1994 AROD SP and SP Foil the same thing?

I'm looking for the most sought after 1994 Alex Rodriguez rookie card to get autographed for my signed rookie collection. I'm a vintage guy and don't know a whole lot about the modern cards.

Is 94 SP his most desired rookie card? When you see them on ebay and one says 1994 SP and one says 1994 SP foil, does that mean the same thing? Are all the SP's also foil, or do some SP's have foil and not others?

Is that diecut one more desirable than the regular one?

Thanks for your help,

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    I was wondering that myself.

Have you seen the Leaf Limited rookie. That's a nice looking card.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    The SP Foil and Sp are the same. I think some get confused because PSA labels it foil. BGS doesn't. It is the most popular because its affordable. I say the SP die cut is more desirable. The SP die cut holoview and the Sportflics artist proof are the ones to have in my opinion.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    How much do the sp holoview die cuts run in about a 7 condition. Im not real picky about condition since im going to get it signed and just slabbed auhentic anyways
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The Red Die Cut brings big money, even in 7 condition. The A-Rod card to watch is the 94 UD Next Generation Electric Diamond. Look at where most of his other parallels book (ie. Gold Sig, Holoview Die Cut, Artist Proof) and this card has tons of room to grow.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Allen- Electric Diamond was a one per pack insert. CC Gold Sig, Sportflics AP, etc... were one per box inserts. The CC Silver sig would be a better comparison to the Electric Diamond.
  • Options
    His most expensive is the sportflics proof, but i hate those sportflics card.

The best card to own (IMO) is the SP die cut holoview, but i wouldn't ruin that card with an auto on it....it's too pricey, and i don't think the auto would show on it nicely anyways.

I would just go with a SP to get an auto on it. It is his most "popular" rookie, and is very inexpensive in NM.

And as another option, he has the score autos that are certified by manufacturer.

This is what I recommend -
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Lee, I know what the electric diamond parallel of the base card is. I am talking about the electric diamond parallel of the next generation rookie insert. It was redemption only and the regular insert cards were 1:20 packs so you can figure the odds on the parallel edition redemption were pretty high.
  • Options
    I thought the 1994 Score Callup was his rarest or at least the most expensive rookie? The last time I checked a raw version would set you back a car note or two and a PSA 9 would set you back a house note.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>
    image >>

How much do you think the BV is for that card? Its not the 1997 buyback...
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Allen, please don't question me when it's obvious I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Honestly, I didn't even know that card existed, so you're probably right about it being undervalued. The last couple only sold for $150 each, and only 5 have been offered in the last 2 months. Compare that to 7 of the Rookie Call-up that were sold, and many more being offered but going unsold. I will never doubt you ever again Allen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

How much do you think the BV is for that card? Its not the 1997 buyback... >>

Anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

Anyone? >>

Clearly, there is not a book value for that card, because it was not a pack pulled card company certified autograph. Most likely a sig from a personal signing, since his ball park sig has never really been that clean and complete.

I would not pay over $300-$350 for it.

EDIT: spell
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

Anyone? >>

Clearly, there is not a book value for that card, because it was not a pack pulled card company certified autograph. Most likely a sig from a personal signing, since his ball park sig has never really been that clean and complete.

EDIT: spell >>

Thanks for the advice! The seller countered for $950......I replied back that $425 was my best offer.
  • Options
    Thanks for the myriad of different opinions. I ended up purchasing this one this AM and I'll be cracking it out to send it to a signing to get it signed.

Gonblott,

The card cost me $100.00 and AROD is signing at the next private signing for $300.00, so that would put the signed version at a cost to me of about $400.00 plus shipping a couple times. Then throw authentication and slabbing on top of it, and I'll be looking at $420.00 plus shipping 3 times. That would put your offer of $425.00 for the one you pictured, at a reasonable level. If I could have gotten that one for $600 or so, I probably would have just bought it as I believe a person's time and trouble in putting it all together has some monetarty value applied to it as well, but I didn't believe the seller would go that low so I am going to pursue putting together my own. You might consider doing the same thing if you are interested in obtaining a signed copy, and if you need the information for the AROD signing, let me know and I'll get it out. Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    PM sent
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much rarer is the die cut SP Foil AROD RC compared to the base card? Weren't these inserted one per pack?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

Anyone? >>

Thanks for the advice! The seller countered for $950......I replied back that $425 was my best offer. >>

He's out of his mind.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought the 1994 Score Callup was his rarest or at least the most expensive rookie? The last time I checked a raw version would set you back a car note or two and a PSA 9 would set you back a house note. >>

The score callup is a good one, but the the holoview is slightly more and more demand for it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    image >>

Anyone? >>

Thanks for the advice! The seller countered for $950......I replied back that $425 was my best offer. >>

He's out of his mind. >>

+1

Yea, he is asking crazy amount just because a buyback sold for so much...
  • Options
    I've had a couple people ask for the AROD signing info so here it is:

Here's the contact for the AROD signings. They are the ones that run it and they said the next signing would be close to the date of the All Star game. they said it would be $300.00 for a flat/baseball, and higher cost for other items.

Mario Monteleone
    President/CEO
    MVP Marketing & Management, LLC
    (p) 727.860.4951
    www.mvpmarketingmanagement.com

Take care,

Mike
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just went and made a best offer on the one you posted the ebay link too but the seller automatically declined my $165.00 offer. Oh well, back to the original plan.

Mike