Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"THE NATURAL"

OKAY.we know the story....guy spends years drugging it up,now he looks like a monster....NOBODY knows how high is high for this guy. is he a 340 40 hr 150 rbi guy...or is he just hot right now??? according to the article in this weeks sports ill. there are many old time scouts who say he may be the best player theve ever seen....high praise indeed,but what about his cards....right now his 99 topps auto is around 200 bucks,2nd and 3rd year autos around 20 bucks....99 b. chrome around 10 bucks,99 topps around 3 to 5 bucks....will these prices double,triple ,quadruple if he keeps it up?? a movie on his life is being talked about...america being america its almost a lock...do i hit the bay and buy up some of these cards hoping they will be as valuable as gold bullion in a couple of years??? what to do?????????????

Comments

• Options
    whoops.....did i mention i was writing about josh hamilton??
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Ummm, yes, Josh Hamilton is good.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could have a dollar for every player touted as the good old "might be the best I have ever seen" thing.

He is playing good BB right now but right now is not a career!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Right now is a good time to sell, he's wasted too many years to be HOF material. Also chances are good that he won't continue on his current pace all year.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The human interest angle on Josh Hamilton is amazing. I remember being consistently outbid in 1999 and 2000 for his RCs. After his plunge, I thanked my lucky stars that I lost out.

Gotta give the guy credit for bouncing back. It is way too early to automatically discount his HOF chances. If he puts up 10 solid seasons at .320+ 35HR+ 120 RBI+ and is on a winning team, he will have a decent shot, especially with his story. David Ortiz and Ichiro are prime examples of player with a late start and decent HOF chances.

I take those "best player I've ever seen" scouting reports with a huge grain of salt. Anyone want to buy a 1000-ct lot of Todd Van Poppel rookies?
    Mike
  • Options
    How would Jay Bruce and Josh Hamilton look together in the Reds outfield. Jay Bruce is the real deal
  • Options
    the difference with this kid seems to be a lot of the hype is coming from the players,not the media.....dunn,freel,kinsler,young and others have said this guy could be one of the best ever....gotta make you think,a little
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    TattooHOF yes image

I like the guy and root for him, but.......... He's played 144 games in his career and was drafted #1 in 1999, IMO no shot a HOF...... period

.........unless he becomes Manager image

playing in Texas isnt helping either. He will need to hit like Juan Gonzalez did for Texas.... for the next 10-12 years, and maybe???

PS Gonzalez will be a HOFer

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    He's throwing spitballs!

In a pig's poop. That ball's
    as dry as your granddaddy's scalp.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I would probably sell after he gets his 60 minutes segment. A lot of people will flock to him because of the rehab angle.

We should probably wait 5 years before even mentioning HOF and Josh Hamilton in the same sentence.

PS - I don't think Juan Gone will get in the HOF. He didn't hit any magic numbers. The two MVPs are somewhat tainted due to the roid rumors.
    Mike
  • Options
    Kind of hard to put Hamilton in the HOF when he is already 27 and has yet to play enough games to constitue even one full season. Do I need to start another thread about young surefire HOF'ers who few people remember now? Mike Greenwell, Matt Nokes and Kevin Seitzer always come to mind because their rookie cards came out in the middle of the baseball card heyday.
  • Options
    "We should probably wait 5 years before even mentioning HOF and Josh Hamilton in the same sentence. "

first let him complete a full season
    2nd, pray he stays off the drugs
    3rd. he needs 10-12 more monster, full seasons for a whiff of the hOF

at 27 he is in his "prime" but he has lost 3-6 full years.
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Great story of overcoming drug abuse. In the absolute prime of his life and career. Any talk of HOF is insane as he could hit any #'s you like for the next 10 years and still not even come close to having the stats.
    He will have tons of autographs in the next few sets.
    I have 2 choices for you.

Buy like crazy.
    Hold.
    Lose your arse.

buy a few.
    sell in a few in the next few years.
    end up with none in 5 years.
    perfect.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I'm 100% in this guy's corner, and I think he's what baseball needs to help shake off the steroid shadows.

But chanting HoF right now is premature. Lets stick with "GO JOSH" and watch him win some MVP awards first.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    The Josh Hamilton story is a great human interest story now and hopefully it only gets better.

-30-

mad
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go Josh! image
  • Options