Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909VDB MPL POPULATION UPDATE

As you may know, I am a "nut" regarding the 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent and its mintage, population and value. I've noticed that in the past two or three months TWO more of these coins have been slabbed. One by PCGS as a 64RB and one by NGC as a 68RB. So the totals certified by PCGS, NGC and ANACS are now 98, 48, 23 total 169.

I have a question about the NGC coin. Their census report shows the PR68RB going from "1" to "2". Does anyone know anything about this coin? Someone may have reported on it, but it just seems strange to me. Could it have been a resubmission? I also "think" that the NGC totals were up to 48 last year and they backed off to 47 in March. Seems kinda funny. The add of a PR64RB to PCGS seems normal, but it also could be an attempt at an upgrade. I myself couldn't imagine cracking it out and resubmitting, but who knows. I appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks.
Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, that is strange. I haven't heard of a new one being made.
    Doug
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I would think that is an error. I too have not heard of any wonder VDB emerging lately.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    It is not mine. NGC bb it 40 days ago.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Andy Skrabalak of Angel Dee's has informed me that the PCGS PR64RB is a crossover from an NGC PR64RB he had done for a customer. It is the ex-Richmond collection example. He will return the NGC label so that the NGC count should go back to 47 and the total count from PCGS, NGC & ANACS will be 168. Thanks Andy for the input.

If anyone has any information on the added NGC PR68RB please let us know.

I just recently noted (shows that I'm not paying attention) that ALL of the 10 MPL collections in positions 13 thru 22 of the PCGS Matte Proof Lincoln Cent Set Registry need ONLY the 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent to complete their collection. I wonder how many of those 10 will be going after the NGC PR66RB example coming up at the summer FUN show in Florida at the end of this month.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Im having the guy in China who makes the spiffy trade dollars make me oneimage

BTW every time I look over my three 09 matties I check to see if the initials have appeared......image

(just kidding on the china guy...I dont want to give anyone the wrong idea)
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang! I was going to ask you to get one for me!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    The previous 68RB was the coin Legend had on display at the Central States show, correct? Perhaps an email to Laura could check to see if it was sent in for a regrade???
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    I just noticed that we have 2 more 1909VDB MPL's certified bringing the total for all PCGS, NGC and ANACS slabs of this coin to 171, up from 169 in June. PCGS has slabbed another as 66RB and NGC has slabbed another as 64RB. If any dealer was involved with making either of these two coins in the past couple of months, and in so doing had an existing slabbed 1909VDB MPL either crossed or broken out, it would be helpful to notify the TPG of this fact so that the crossed or cracked out coin can be removed from the total population listings.

As we all know the TRUE certified population of this coin is probably less than 150 because of non reporting of other crackouts and crossovers thru the years. It would be great if ONLY true RAW coins are added over time. JMHO.

Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, I would send that 1909 VDB of yours in for regrade in a heartbeat, the worst that can happen is you get the same grade, and $50 bucks stops your mind from wonder "what if". I am sitting on a 1911 with a different situation. The surface looks like it is begging for an acetone bath. So It may get sent in soon. BTW, I have sent two MPLS in for regrade. One went up a point, the other got its designation changed from BRN to R&B. Both coins came back better looking than when I sent them...I know PCGS gave them a bath

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    strange on note of that ngc pr68

merely my thoughts are legend tried for an upgrade or a star
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>strange on note of that ngc pr68

merely my thoughts are legend tried for an upgrade or a star >>

Thanks to Brian Wagner I saw the Legend coin at Central States. He took me over to their table where I was allowed to examine it. As I recall, and I'm quite sure, that NGC 1909 VDB PR68RB already had the star designation. It wasn't just gorgeous. It was the most beautiful MPL I have ever seen - a $250,000 coin.
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    Ditto that thought!
  • Options
    I also saw the Legend coin in Baltimore and it did have the star designation. I wonder if any attempt has ever been made to crossover?
    Jonathan
  • Options
    Dunno - but in this collector's opinion, the prettiest MPL I've personally ever seen of any color. Bummer it's artifically toned..... : )
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BTY-I made a very bad joke above about the Legend 1909VDB MPL, which I saw in-hand in Baltimore!! That coin, as I sincerely believe, is once more the most beautiful MPL I've ever seen of any color!

Two friends called me this morning to ask me if I was serious about my comment. I was not being serious in the least........I was merely making a very stupid and off-the-cuff joke!

Sincere apoligies to the owner of the coin and Legend Numismatics. Obviously a wonderfully-toned coin and dumb comment.

Wish it were mine.......

Duane Blake
  • Options

<< <i>I just noticed that we have 2 more 1909VDB MPL's certified bringing the total for all PCGS, NGC and ANACS slabs of this coin to 171, up from 169 in June. PCGS has slabbed another as 66RB and NGC has slabbed another as 64RB. If any dealer was involved with making either of these two coins in the past couple of months, and in so doing had an existing slabbed 1909VDB MPL either crossed or broken out, it would be helpful to notify the TPG of this fact so that the crossed or cracked out coin can be removed from the total population listings.

As we all know the TRUE certified population of this coin is probably less than 150 because of non reporting of other crackouts and crossovers thru the years. It would be great if ONLY true RAW coins are added over time. JMHO.

Steveimage >>

It seems that NGC has removed its added 64RB, so we are back to 170 total. Thanks to anyone who may have notified NGC. Steveimage
  • Options
    In reference to the 1909VDB PR64RB just removed by NGC from their pop list, Andy Skrabalak (Angel Dee's) informed me that he had sent the label in to NGC after crossing a coin to PCGS. I want to thank Andy for doing that and hope others who either cross or crackout 1909VDB MPL's send the labels in to PCGS, NGC or ANACS too. We all know this is a rare coin with VERY, VERY few, if any RAW LEGITIMATE examples remaining out there. Let's make sure that when the pop on this coin does go up, that the coin being graded is a truly NEW raw coin. Thanks,
    Steveimage