Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Pete Rose set

Comments

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I don't know. Take a look at that '83 Topps cello pack with Valenzuela on the front. It's described as MINT, but check out the lower-left corner.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Since when did a FACTORY SEALED 1985 Pete Rose set come with an autographed card????
  • Options
    Mark Murphy must be losing it! I had to laugh...1989 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr Rookie PSA 8 is 10.00....a PSA 9? 12.00 LOL

Similar situation with his 89 Fleer and 89 Donruss Rookies Griffey Jrs
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    My factory set did not have an autograph.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it is a steal compared to this one I found on eBay. 1985 TOPPS PETE ROSE SEALED AUTOGRAPH SET

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The pack is described as mint not the top card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>The pack is described as mint not the top card.

Steve >>

How can that be, though? What does it mean for the "pack" to be MINT if it's clear that at least one of the cards inside isn't?
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I dont get this. So if this does contain an autograph card it would be well worth the $35 and there are sealed ones on ebay? Very strange all around. Im going to ask Mark.

Edit: added description

THIS IS THE 1985 TOPPS PETE ROSE OFFICIAL TOPPS BASEBALL CARD SET. SEE 120 TOTAL CARDS OF THE ALL TIME HIT KING. THE SET INCLUDES ONE AUTOGRAPHED CARD OF PETE ROSE SIGNED IN BLUE SHARPIE. THE SET COMES FACTORY SEALED
  • Options
    The more I think of it...I just dont remember ANY of those small boxed sets ever having cellophane wrapping. I believe 100 came to a case. Maybe there were one or two specially packed sets in the case?
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    These are real- in fact I just bought one-.he has 7 left as of 10pm I believe 1 set per 100 were sealed at time of issue and sold for a premium. I am gonna bust one for my Big Red Machine auto collection. I can get a buck each for the non auto'd ones at the flea market. One of you guys with deeper pockets than me should jump on this!!! Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    I think only the auto sets were sealed. The ones BBCKid is selling is a aftermarket SCOREBOARD creation. image
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    wow i got 2 sets ordered.. thanks don russell
  • Options
    These sets honoring Pete Rose from 1985 were printed by Topps for Pete Rose enterprises and were sold thru hobby pioneer Renata Galosso. Anyone have a scan of the back of one of the cards? Willie Mays had a set issued in 1985 and he auto'd some cards for his set. Google is no help. I am working off memories which are influenced by many many brewskis since 1985. Mike -edited for correct info.
  • Options
  • Options
    here you go, i broke one out. pretty nice looking set. lots of old pics.. don
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    modern "collector issues"

low value now, low value 50 years from now
  • Options

<< <i>modern "collector issues"

low value now, low value 50 years from now >>

There are plenty of things in my collection that have low value and dont care if they ever do. I enjoy them just as much as the "valuable" ones. I dont see anyone talking about investment here.
  • Options
    three words fkw ........go kiss leon image
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    From the 2005 Standard Catalog Of Baseball Cards.

• Options
    Update- I got the cards on June 10 and I am not happy. In the ad on his website it says sealed set which is deceptive. The set is in a pwb, has a auto card as shown in the picture but is not the set in the SCD. Tt is a set which Ken Goldin aka Scoreboard had made for shop at home in other words a aftermarket auto. BOO mark.
  • Options
    wow, no kidding! Did you contact The Baseball Card Queen? Oops, I mean KID? That sucks. I hope he refunds a portion of your dough.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Going by the guide it says that the auto ia borderless version, the one on his site clearly has a border. Sorry you got taken.
  • Options
    Mark Murphy sold you that?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i bought 2 sets of it.. wow .. don
  • Options
    Yes it is a Pete auto and it comes with a COA from Ken Goldin lol. It was only 40 bucks and I will sell the other 119 cards at the flea market. The Sealed part is deceptive it came in a plain white box "sealed" with a piece of tape. I am not going to bother sending it back I enailed the tool 3 times already since I bought it with no reply.
  • Options
    Barfvader posted the info about the sets AFTER I had already bought mine Don- If you want to return them for a refund don't bother emailing the tool.
  • Options
    So, really makes me wonder....just how trustworthy is Murphy? Duping buyers like this and from what I understand, the master of distributing those vintage "Christmas" rack packs. Does this guy just fly under the radar because he knows how to be subtle and no one really notices?
  • Options
    no doubt the auto is ok but I beleve there is a reason he left out the Scoreboard info image
  • Options
    yeah, im not exactly happy but i got 2 autos for $70..

gotta love it! "The Score Board"

don
  • Options
    How could he have autographed a factory sealed card?>
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    right! they look nice, but the point here is the "real" sealed sets had 2 number 1 cards and 1one was borderless and the other is just like the ones i have pictured. don
  • Options
    How could he have autographed a factory sealed card?> The real auto sets were sealed at time of issue and the ones that BBCkid were selling were described as factory sealed but he neglected to mention the factory seal was a pwb sealed by Scoreboard. Mark is another Gary but with a better tan.image
  • Options
    This is disturbing, yes I agree MM is a sleaze. Didn't he have a ....ahem..... a fire?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>modern "collector issues"

low value now, low value 50 years from now >>

Come on. Promote the collection of what you enjoy. For my first several years of collecting, it was solely for the enjoyment of baseball and the cards. I could have cared less about the value. I would pay money to have that feeling today.
  • Options
    I opened a dispute with Paypal maybe that will get his attention.
  • Options
    any reaction mike? don
  • Options

Come on. Promote the collection of what you enjoy.

He does, he only wants what was advertised.

Then he will be happy.

AS I would.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Did anyone notice that on his page he changed the description and price?

The description now reads "THE SET COMES SEALED FROM SCOREBOARD IN A WHITE BOX."
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Maybe now he should also change the picture too.

Steve
    Good for you.