Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

claim on damaged item

I recently received a stein that was broken in shipping. It was a PayPal transaction and insurance wasn't offered. The shipping on the $75 item was $17. It was poorly packed and not marked well. His ad states the buyer to incur return shipping costs. He says he will refund the $92 after receiving the item back. I am having a hard time justifying spending $17 to look at his pathetic attempt at packing and having nothing to show for it. Can PayPal make him pay for return shipping ?
Thanks, Rich

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    No, pay pal will not require him to pay for return postage. They will make you do as the seller requested.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Ask the seller if he will accept some photos of the broken item.
    If not, just file the PayPal dispute, escalate immediately to a claim,
    and follow their instructions. (SNAD).

Insure the junk and send it DC or Sig-Con, after PP tells you to.

The return postage expenses are a goner.

Sellers need to learn how to pack fragile stuff in a way to withstand
    the abuse the carriers inflict on packages. If they cannot pack safely,
    they need to stop selling breakable stuff.

Receiving a smashed item is MUCH more disappointing to me than
    getting no item at all.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Why is it going to cost you 17.00 to return it? If it is broken, you can mail it in a box far more cheaper then that.

That is if I understood you properly.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Can't you pack the pieces in a flat rate USPS Priority Mail box for less than $10 with delivery confirmation? Heck, even a parcel post would not run more than $5-$6 I am guessing. It would be worth that to at least recover most of my money back if it was me.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Send it parcel post with delivery confirmation. It won't cost that much.

Take GOOD pictures of it as it is and also take pics of all the packaging materials and the box. Easy to delete later if you don't need them, hard to take pictures after the thing is shipped back.

• Options
    That's how he sent it to me, parcel post with no DC or insurance and it cost him $19 FL to NY. I am trying to get him to just refund me 1/2 so we both take a little loss but so far he insists I send it back. I think he probably wants it back so he can try and glue it together and resell to recoup some of his losses. If I file a claim with PayPal with they refund my money if I show a DC # on the return ? I'm thinking I should go through PayPal no matter what.
  • Options
    When the DC shows the item has been retunred Paypal will refund your payment
  • Options
    That's how he sent it to me, parcel post with no DC or insurance and it cost him $19 FL to NY

Well it must have weighed a ton. For 9 and change he could have sent it
    priority flat rate.

something is not adding up.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ok that is a lil different, I can see how it cost 19.00 as it would not fit into a flat rate box.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    It will, if I have to send it back
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...I am trying to get him to just refund me 1/2 so we both take a little loss but so far he insists I send it back..."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Many sellers consider requests for partial refunds as an element of a scam.

You'll still get your money back with the PayPal claim. Priority and DC should
    be under $10 for the return.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Yes broken it will, I was talking about him sending it.

And not for nothing but this thread started out as a broken stein (1 item)

Then it turns out it was 7 items, and that is where the confusion was.

Of the 7 items how many are broken?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I haven't unpacked them to check. I did look at one just to see what they look like and it was ok. With out the master stein they just about worthless so I don't care about condition. I offered to take a partial refund because I can repair it for display purposes but I would not have paid full price for one that was restored before I bought it.