Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS & Cleaned coins..How badly does it effect value?

I recently submitted 4 gold coins to ANACS to be graded. All 4 came back as cleaned with a details grading. One of the coins was previously graded by NGC (not cleaned) but was cracked out to be put into an album...it came back with the same grade as NGC but, ANACS deemed this too as cleaned. All 4 coins showed little or no evidence of hairlines under magnification. Is ANACS using the Hubble Telescope to grade coins? So, how bad does a cleaned coin effect it's value?

Comments

  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    pictures would help. Only thing I can comment on with the info provided, is that if they are coins
    of historic value cleaned does not deter me from purchasing. A coin is a coin IMHO. If your looking to
    make a killing with a coin that has this designation, then your wasting your time.



    Buy the coin, not the blah blah etc.
    image

    Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options


    << <i>pictures would help. Only thing I can comment on with the info provided, is that if they are coins
    of historic value cleaned does not deter me from purchasing. A coin is a coin IMHO. If your looking to
    make a killing with a coin that has this designation, then your wasting your time.



    Buy the coin, not the blah blah etc. >>



    No I am not looking to make a killing on these coins. I actually bought them for my Civil War type set. Still, even though I bought them for the history... I would hope that the value would also be there too!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fellow, local, collector had a cleaned VF 1896-s barber quarter. I submitted to ANACS for him. Sold for much less than uncleaned would have but was still good for him.
    I think it sold for ~$1400 or so, before ebay/paypal fees, etc. I think a no-problem would have gone for $2200+. Coin had great details but turning at an angle, or using a good picture, it was easy to see the harsh cleaning.

    If I would do it all over again, I would have likely NCS'ed it rather than ANACS. They didn't impress me.

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I recently submitted 4 gold coins to ANACS to be graded. All 4 came back as cleaned with a details grading. One of the coins was previously graded by NGC (not cleaned) but was cracked out to be put into an album...it came back with the same grade as NGC but, ANACS deemed this too as cleaned. All 4 coins showed little or no evidence of hairlines under magnification. Is ANACS using the Hubble Telescope to grade coins? So, how bad does a cleaned coin effect it's value? >>



    Why do so many people think HAIRLINES are the result of cleaning? Most hairlines are the result of light circulation or wiping with a
    rough cloth or a gritty cleaner like Comet. Most cleaned coins have been polished with paste polish which does not leave
    hairlines (indeed, it may REMOVE them!) but results in impaired and unnatural luster.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭


    take the coins, crack them out of the holders, put a lot of flowery verbage and half-a$$ed pictures, and list them on ebay. It should bring strong money as opposed to our old buddy SeatedLibertyKeys (now SeatedLibertyBust, after being booted from ebay the first time)

  • Options


    << <i>

    << <i>I recently submitted 4 gold coins to ANACS to be graded. All 4 came back as cleaned with a details grading. One of the coins was previously graded by NGC (not cleaned) but was cracked out to be put into an album...it came back with the same grade as NGC but, ANACS deemed this too as cleaned. All 4 coins showed little or no evidence of hairlines under magnification. Is ANACS using the Hubble Telescope to grade coins? So, how bad does a cleaned coin effect it's value? >>



    Why do so many people think HAIRLINES are the result of cleaning? Most hairlines are the result of light circulation or wiping with a
    rough cloth or a gritty cleaner like Comet. Most cleaned coins have been polished with paste polish which does not leave
    hairlines (indeed, it may REMOVE them!) but results in impaired and unnatural luster. >>



    Is not cleaned different than polished? I have seen polished coins and these 4 gold coins seem to exhibit the same luster as my other gold slabbed coins with no stated problems.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I recently submitted 4 gold coins to ANACS to be graded. All 4 came back as cleaned with a details grading. One of the coins was previously graded by NGC (not cleaned) but was cracked out to be put into an album...it came back with the same grade as NGC but, ANACS deemed this too as cleaned. All 4 coins showed little or no evidence of hairlines under magnification. Is ANACS using the Hubble Telescope to grade coins? So, how bad does a cleaned coin effect it's value? >>



    I think one of the bigest problems with cleaned coins is that is is so difficult to determine a value, or loss of value.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139 ✭
    Not all cleanings leave behind hairlines. And with gold alloys being so soft and malleable, you cannot attribute light hairlines (even highly directional ones) to cleaning nor depend on their existence to validate a cleaning.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭
    Gently rubbing with a paste of baking soda, once recommended in the bluebook, will not leave hairlines on non proof coins, but will
    result in a distinct cleaned "look" where the protected areas around the stars and lettering has a slightly different texture.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS net grades because it is part of their business plan to do so. Many folks have experiences of net graded coins being cracked from ANACS holders and being encapsulated by PCGS and NGC both. Sometimes the coins will be quietly net graded down for light cleaning - i.e. AU53 rather than a technical AU55... That is just my experience.
  • Options


    << <i>ANACS net grades because it is part of their business plan to do so. Many folks have experiences of net graded coins being cracked from ANACS holders and being encapsulated by PCGS and NGC both. Sometimes the coins will be quietly net graded down for light cleaning - i.e. AU53 rather than a technical AU55... That is just my experience. >>



    ANACS no longer "net grades" coins. A problem coin now gets a "details" grade with the problem stated on the holder tag.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>ANACS net grades because it is part of their business plan to do so. Many folks have experiences of net graded coins being cracked from ANACS holders and being encapsulated by PCGS and NGC both. Sometimes the coins will be quietly net graded down for light cleaning - i.e. AU53 rather than a technical AU55... That is just my experience. >>



    ANACS no longer "net grades" coins. A problem coin now gets a "details" grade with the problem stated on the holder tag. >>



    -Whatever-

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file